Toyota Nation Forum banner

2011 Camry Glove box damper keeps falling off

36K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  aagitch 
#1 ·
Guys we have a Toyota Camry 2011 Saturday I changed the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. I had no problem with the engine air filter however I'm having problems with the glove boxes damper. It seems that it will not stay in place I've connected it back to the bolt and pulled the lever out and attached it to the glove box. So I must ask what is the proper way to connect the damper?

#2 ·
Mine fell out once last time after reinstallation, but it was the inside part of the damper (the one that attached to the dash tab), the one on the glove box itself stays. I hooked it back in and it's been fine now. But I gotta say this thing can be designed better, it's cheaply made.

#3 ·
These cars I never remove te damper. I just shove my arms between the open glove box and remove and replace the filter.

To properly install the damper.

1. Open glove box.
2. Remove damper from glove box end.
3. Push in glove box at sides to release it from dash.
4. Lower glove box out of dash leaving it connected to hinges.
5. Install the damper at the dash first. There should be a place for it to install. Sometimes it can get bent or break off from improper install.
6. Push glove box up to almost but not closed position to reinstall into dash.
7. While pushing the damper body towards the passenger door with one hand to keep it secure, pull down the damper extension and secure it to the box.
8. Close and open yor glove box to verify install.

#6 ·
The last 34 seconds of the video states "check the direction of the air flow arrow before you remove the old filter, then match it with the new filter". Their disclaimer for the video error, as all of the Gen 6 and 6.5's air flow is down.

The trash that collects on the top, is a very good clue as to the proper direction of the air flow.

#8 ·
Actually, that arrow should be labeled "UP." I think the Toyota employees who put my shop manuals together might have had something to do with the cabin air filter installation instructions. The air flow is down. That is why the debris collects on the up side of the filter. I don't think it makes that much difference, especially with after market filter. Maybe a Toyota employee knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.