Toyota Nation Forum banner

Suspension falling apart???

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  deadrx7conv 
#1 ·
2009 Camry SE. I4 [46k mileage.]

I just changed the inner tire rod on the driver's side on my camry like a month ago. $242 just like that.

Now, i keep hearing some small squeaks i dont like [ i hear everything!!!] when i turn my steering wheel.

Went to Toyota they said

-I need Intermediate shaft (whatever that is on the steering wheel) $441
-Right Front Axle (there's also this little rapid "ka-kakakaka" sound when you drive and turn at the same time on the right side) -$880
- and of course, Wheel alignment $70

(of course i walked out to do my own TN-Nation research lol)

Guys, do you think my suspension is falling apart for some reason? I have the UR strut bar, could this be causing these problems? I'm an aggressive driver, could that also be a cause?
Are there any TSB's on this?

If i cant pin point the general reason for all these stuff, i might have to sell this car. That means something else is going on. As long as i understand exactly what is causing it, i dont mind fixing them.

See less See more
#2 ·
I went through the same issue last month with my 2008 Camry SE (40K miles). Loud knock when turning the steering wheel so they've replaced the drive shaft. After that I've been hearing the same rapid noise when turning and accelerating. So they're replaced the right and left front axle :(

Don't know what will be next. Everything is stock on my camry and I'm not an aggressive driver.

#3 · (Edited)
Get some white lithium spray and lube up the joint under the dash. That would be the intermediate shaft. That will fix that issue. The clicking while driving is a cv axel. Pretty easy and strait forward to do yourself. By the way, none of the things you mentioned are a part of the suspension. Cv axel is part of the drive line. And intermediate shaft is part of the steering linkage. It's a mechanical thing. They fail when they feel like it.

#5 ·
YOu're right about it not being part of the suspension, i just put that there for lack of a better collective word. but 40k miles is a tad too early in my opinion. And it seems everytime i go to get something fixed, this is what i hear:

"It always happens with these cars"

I think i need a list of what "will always happen with these cars" so i can just buy the whole parts and keep it. smh.

I dont even have the money right now so i'll just do it later. But that sound is annoying as hell!!

#6 ·
#9 ·
Just to make you feel a little bit better I had to replace my intermediate steering shaft as well. It was about $500

symptoms were when I turn the wheel at slow speed I would hear clicking. It would just turn into parking lot rage because I hated the noise coming from the car.

after the intermediate driving shaft was replaced, the car feels brand-new. There are no more squeaks clicks or any noise whatsoever.

2008 with 100k miles.

#10 ·
Axles are covered by 5year/60k powertrain warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.