camry hybrid, worth it? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
(Thread Starter)
camry hybrid, worth it?

i wanted to buy a camry hybrid in the distant future when my current camry craps out on me... which i'm guessing wont happen for another 7 years LOL...

but anyway... i've heard that hybrid vehicles aren't really worth their cost due to its batteries costing a tremendous amount of money that would far outweight the gas it would save....

is this true???

what does a battery for a hybrid cost anyway and how often would it be have to be replaceD??

(i'm not getting a camry hybrid to save gas or be environmentally friendly, i think the gen6 camry looks cool and might as well get a hybrid if i'm going to get a camry and save myself an extra 10ish mpg)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
You could say the same for any regular car. The savings on a 4 cylinder vs. a V6 would be covered by a blown transmission. (And the powertrain warranty that covers the transmission is shorter than the hybrid warranty by a good margin - 5 years vs. 8 years.. or 10 in California).

The last time I checked ( a few years ago) it was about US$2,100 plus labour and tax for a brand new one. Salvaged ones are cheaper of course and it probably won't be replaced til your Camry craps out on you. (Our taxis have been running them since 2005 and they put up to 100,000 miles a year so after 3-4 years, they're still running fine with no noticeable degradation in battery performance)

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#3 Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
so, stupid question time, do hybrid cars come with dual exhaust? i think those look cool. LOL

i think im looking into this stuff waaaaay early. my 2000 camry is still under 90k miles...
#4 Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Sienna owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A U L View Post
so, stupid question time, do hybrid cars come with dual exhaust? i think those look cool. LOL

i think im looking into this stuff waaaaay early. my 2000 camry is still under 90k miles...
Single exhaust, no need for dual (except for the coolness factor )
As far as gas savings, for me coming out of a car that got 16 or 17 mpg average it makes a huge difference since I drive around 1,500 miles a month average. Plus using reg. instead of premium gas and savings of around $90 per month on insurance.
I agree that the car looks good too...that is mandatory for me. The breakdown on reasons to buy the TCH for ME:
~Environment concerns: 20%
~Fuel economy: 50%
~All other (looks, safety, practicality, etc.) 30%
If you already have a car that gets pretty good mileage, is still reliable and you are OK with the "All other" category then it probably makes sense to just keep it IMO, especially if you aren't all that concerned about environmental issues.

'07 Sienna Limited Silver Pine Mica, 18" Lexus RX350 alloys, Airlift bags, custom hitch, clear bra, ALL options! FOR SALE as of 3/14
#5 Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quote:

Only the GS450h and LS600h L do. The others don't.

Someone here has done a fake second exhaust and an SE bodykit. It looks quite nice actually. I forget the username so you'll probably have to browse the gallery.

OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#6 Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
would a regular camry SE's body kit fit onto a camry hybrids? seamlessly?
#7 Old 04-26-2008, 12:45 AM
TMS Prius Expert

double check the threads in this forum. I think there are a few on bodykits. You might find your answer there.

#8 Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
The SE body kit required cutouts on the bumper, so no it won't be a "plug and play" kind of thing, but it's possible to be done. Although for the money, you would be better off getting an RKSport kit. But you are right, it's way too early to think about getting a new car if you plan on keeping yours until it dies, as you have at least another 50-75K miles, probably a lot more.

@ Tideland Prius, are you saying it's only $2,100 to replace the batteries in the Camry Hybrid?

#9 Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
The SE body kit required cutouts on the bumper, so no it won't be a "plug and play" kind of thing, but it's possible to be done. Although for the money, you would be better off getting an RKSport kit. But you are right, it's way too early to think about getting a new car if you plan on keeping yours until it dies, as you have at least another 50-75K miles, probably a lot more.

@ Tideland Prius, are you saying it's only $2,100 to replace the batteries in the Camry Hybrid?
No, that was for the Gen 2 Prius and that was a few years ago when someone came across this company (webpage) that was selling the batteries at direct prices. It's probably lower than that now.

#10 Old 05-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Official TN Member

It's easy to save money vs a 16 mpg SUV, but you can do that with a plain Camry LE 4 cylinder.

Has anyone crunched numbers of TCH vs a Camry LE 4 cylinder? I know people like to compare to an XLE because of the auto temp control and rear HVAC vents etc, but I'm not shopping XLEs. I would get either a TCH with upgrade package or a Camry LE with automatic, VSC and JBL (I'd probably get alloys and autodimming rear view mirror if they were on the lots, but I haven't seen them and the dealer installed alloys and rear view mirror is wildly expensive vs the factory installed equivalents).

So based on street pricing I've seen there would be about $3500 purchase price difference the way I would end up getting them equipped based on what I want from what's available to choose the way the dealers get them equipped locally.

If I averaged 24 mpg in the LE and 35 MPG in the TCH (As I observed in rentals of each) it would probably take about 70,000 miles to recoup the cost difference in gas savings alone assuming gas prices do not ever go down.

If I sold it a lower mileage such as 50,000 miles, the TCH would be a loss on gas savings, but I suppose the extra resale value on a hybrid with only 50,000 miles would make up for that.

If I kept it for a long period of time, eventual battery replacement would more than wipe away all the gas savings. It's unlikely I would keep the car past 150,000 miles, but at high mileage the resale may be a negative because future buyers will be scared of it.

I assume it would take an insane amount of total mileage driven to have enough gas savings to pay for both the initial price premium and one battery replacement.

Last edited by toyweb; 05-06-2008 at 10:24 PM.
#11 Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyweb View Post
It's easy to save money vs a 16 mpg SUV, but you can do that with a plain Camry LE 4 cylinder.

Has anyone crunched numbers of TCH vs a Camry LE 4 cylinder? I know people like to compare to an XLE because of the auto temp control and rear HVAC vents etc, but I'm not shopping XLEs. I would get either a TCH with upgrade package or a Camry LE with automatic, VSC and JBL (I'd probably get alloys and autodimming rear view mirror if they were on the lots, but I haven't seen them and the dealer installed alloys and rear view mirror is wildly expensive vs the factory installed equivalents).

So based on street pricing I've seen there would be about $3500 purchase price difference the way I would end up getting them equipped based on what I want from what's available to choose the way the dealers get them equipped locally.

If I averaged 24 mpg in the LE and 35 MPG in the TCH (As I observed in rentals of each) it would probably take about 70,000 miles to recoup the cost difference in gas savings alone assuming gas prices do not ever go down.

If I sold it a lower mileage such as 50,000 miles, the TCH would be a loss on gas savings, but I suppose the extra resale value on a hybrid with only 50,000 miles would make up for that.

If I kept it for a long period of time, eventual battery replacement would more than wipe away all the gas savings. It's unlikely I would keep the car past 150,000 miles, but at high mileage the resale may be a negative because future buyers will be scared of it.

I assume it would take an insane amount of total mileage driven to have enough gas savings to pay for both the initial price premium and one battery replacement.
The $3500 difference you suggest is a variable that will change based on local inventory and demand so that value is not fixed - for my calculations the "out the door" differences from a loaded SE and loaded TCH was $2600.

Dissregarding that starting value - as the price of gasoline increases (the other variable in the equation) the amount of mileage it would take to "breakeven" decreases. Therefore if gas goes thru $4.00 to $6.00 (an unknown future value) the TCH would payoff the $3500 or less in much less time. I also had a decreased pollution factor in my equation...

FWIW - I am currently getting 43 mpg in my combined extreme commute and as gas prices continue to increase (India/China) over the life of the vehicle - the cost difference will be reached easily before the TCH has reached the end of useful life...

IMHO : Buy the version of the Camry you can afford and will enjoy - all vehicles are a liability not an asset...

2009 BRM/Bisque TCH : UT w/Nav,LA,SR,CQ with PV50 and RX60. CoverCraft Evolution and UVS100; FormulaOne Pinnacle 35/15/15 Tint; LLumar Paint Protection; Vinguard; Mudguards; Silverstar Ultra 9005 & Silverstar 3457A. AMSOIL SS 0w-20 w/ EaO10 ; Shell V-POWER 93
#12 Old 05-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
i wanted to buy a camry hybrid in the distant future when my current camry craps out on me... which i'm guessing wont happen for another 7 years LOL...
When does a Camry ever crap out? We bought an '07 TCH 13 months ago. Previous car was a '92 Camry. We decided to keep the older car as well since we have 2 kids on learner's permits.
Quote:
but anyway... i've heard that hybrid vehicles aren't really worth their cost due to its batteries costing a tremendous amount of money that would far outweight the gas it would save....

is this true???

what does a battery for a hybrid cost anyway and how often would it be have to be replaceD??
We couldn't be happier with our TCH. Cost of batteries? They're warranted for up to 10 years. We generally drive our cars 12-15 years but due to technology advancing as quickly as it does, may only keep our TCH for 5-6 years.
Quote:
(i'm not getting a camry hybrid to save gas or be environmentally friendly, i think the gen6 camry looks cool and might as well get a hybrid if i'm going to get a camry and save myself an extra 10ish mpg)
Biggest downside of the hybrid is the trunk space you lose. Our '07 TCH is far roomier than our '92 LE, much quieter and more crashworthy (a feature we'd like NOT to test).

I like being able to back out of the garage without putting a micron of carbon monoxide out the tailpipe.

If you do get the hybrid, you'll wind up driving it totally different than the dude with V6 SE.

'10 TCH, Magnetic Grey Metallic, Moonroof, Heated Leather and NAV
'92 LE I4, 180k original miles, Silver Taupe Metallic, Moonroof, ABS

Last edited by Pipemajor; 05-07-2008 at 10:02 PM.
#13 Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyweb View Post

What about brake replacement? It'll last longer in the TCH if you do a good chunk of city driving?

Plus, what kind of comparison is it? A comparo such as this has NO answer. It's no different from "Should I buy an LE or XLE?".. well do the XLE features appeal to you? do you like the option of leather or dual-zone auto climate control?

Ditto here. If you want to compare to the LE, then ask yourself. Do I want a hybrid powertrain? (similar to "Do I want a V6?"). Do you value the extra features that come with it that you wouldn't get on the LE?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid