"Check VSC System" Warning - Dealer Says It Is Normal For This To Display - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
"Check VSC System" Warning - Dealer Says It Is Normal For This To Display

6 month old 2009 TCH, has 4 or 5 times in the last 4 months, gotten this warning displayed while driving. It always goes away after one or two engine start and stops. Since the warning would go away and the car was running fine I figured it was ok to let it go until my first trip to the dealer for an oil change.

Yesterday I took it in for its 6 month oil change and asked the service rep to run the diagnostics because of the "Check VSC System" Warnings. They ran the diagnostics and said there is nothing wrong. The service guy told me that the "Check VSC System" warnings display anytime the VSC kicks in.

This doesn't seem right to me, because why would I see "Check VSC System" instead of "VSC System Activated". He told me I would need to talk to a Toyota engineer for that answer.

What do you guys think? Sound fishy?

Here is a link to a copy of the Diagnostic printout.

http://members.cox.net/mikejl/TCH/VSC%20Diagnostics.jpg

Thank you,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
6 month old 2009 TCH, has 4 or 5 times in the last 4 months, gotten this warning displayed while driving. It always goes away after one or two engine start and stops. Since the warning would go away and the car was running fine I figured it was ok to let it go until my first trip to the dealer for an oil change.

Yesterday I took it in for its 6 month oil change and asked the service rep to run the diagnostics because of the "Check VSC System" Warnings. They ran the diagnostics and said there is nothing wrong. The service guy told me that the "Check VSC System" warnings display anytime the VSC kicks in.

This doesn't seem right to me, because why would I see "Check VSC System" instead of "VSC System Activated". He told me I would need to talk to a Toyota engineer for that answer.

What do you guys think? Sound fishy?

Here is a link to a copy of the Diagnostic printout.

http://members.cox.net/mikejl/TCH/VSC%20Diagnostics.jpg

Thank you,
Mike

Baloney to the Service Dept.. With a C0215 DTC set, they should get to the bottom of it by following the diagnostics in the Service Manual.

You have a momentary interruption in the sensor wiring or a connectors, a speed sensor improper installation or a bad speed sensor. The dealer needs to go thru the diagnostics and FIX the problem.

You can read about it in your Service Manual in the Brake section.
#3 Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 AM
just a nobody

njerald is right, if they have a code there is got to be a problem, why else would the ECU store a code.

N.E.O.
#4 Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
New TN User

If there is another dealer in your area, I would suggest going there. I had the "Check Hybrid System" light to come on my 2008 TCH. I took it to the dealer where I bought it. They kept it a week and the only thing they did was to reset the codes. Three weeks later the "Check VSC System" light came on, then the "Check Hybrid System" light was on. I took it to another dealer and they found the inverter/converter was bad. They replace this part and car has been fine for 10 months. I also notified Toyota headquarters of my problems and help to get the part in faster.
#5 Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Buyer's remorse

Even though this car is quite fond of flashing annoying bells and warnings for silly reasons; there is no way that the warning that you are seeing is by design. You should take that car in to another dealer.
#6 Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Guys! I will be taking it to another dealer this week. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
Mike
#7 Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 PM
New TN User

Here the heads up on the dealer: On a 2009 TCH the C0215 is a DTC
C0215/34
Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit

Here are some places they will need to look:
C0215/34
At a vehicle speed of 10 km/h (6 mph) or more, an open or short in the sensor signal circuit of the abnormal wheel continues for 1 second or more.
  • Rear speed sensor LH
  • Speed sensor circuit
  • Sensor installation
  • Speed sensor rotor
  • Skid control ECU

Hope that helps you on your quest!

ASE CERTIFIED, TOYOTA TECHNICIAN
If you have questions, just ask!
#8 Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well I dropped the TCH off at the dealers at 7 am this morning. I left them the diagnostic printout from Power Toyota and a copy of hazer00's post.

I finally heard back from them at 3:30 pm. The mechanic told me they couldn't find anything so the called in a Factory Rep to look at it. He suggested they replace the rear sensor to see if that fixes it. The sensor won't be in until tomorrow so I have to leave the car overnight.

Hopefully replacing the rear sensor will fix the problem.

Mike
#9 Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 AM
just a nobody

Keep us posted! It would be interesting to know what is causing the warning.

N.E.O.
#10 Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 PM
The Regenerator

FWIW, I also have an 09 TCH, which I bought with 5k miles on the odo, and which now has almost 20k miles. I've provoked (details of such provocation are another story...) VSC* "involvement" in the control of my car on at least a half-dozen occasions. I get the little "skidding car" light and that's all. I have received no other warnings. I have a ScanGauge-II installed, and in almost six months, it has yet to record one single diagnostic code. If you're getting warnings and codes, you have a problem, and your situation is NOT normal! Best of luck sorting it out.

*or VDC or whatever they call the system when installed in a hybrid Camry.

2009 Camry Hybrid, Black.
2007 Avalon XLS, Cassis Pearl (that Burgundy color).
2004 Prius Package 9, Black.
#11 Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Got the Camry back yesterday. They replaced the sensor so nothing to do now but wait and see if I get anymore warnings. I will post back if I do.

Thanks for all the help and input guys!

Mike
#12 Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM
New TN User

Just a little bit of info: VSC = Vehicle Skid Control / Vehicle Stability Control
usnavystgc likes this.

Last edited by hazer00; 02-04-2009 at 08:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazer00 For This Useful Post:
usnavystgc (06-17-2014)
#13 Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazer00 View Post
Just a little bit of info: VSC = Vehicle Skid Control
HA!!!!! I don't need to be a Toyota Technician to know that VSC = Vehicle Stability Control...........
#14 Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
just a nobody

Are they the same; Vehicle Skid Control and Vehicle Stability Control?

N.E.O.
#15 Old 02-04-2009, 08:10 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new echo owner View Post
Are they the same; Vehicle Skid Control and Vehicle Stability Control?

N.E.O.
My apologizes (I will fix my posts), after further examination here are the facts:

Both terms are used in the shop, however let me clarify. Vehicle Skid Control is used to prevent the vehicle from skiding when coming to a stop by using the abs system. and here is a print out for you on Vehicle Stability Control(which fits the issue of this topic):

(e) VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)
The VSC system helps prevent the vehicle from slipping sideways as a result of strong front or rear wheel skid during cornering.

(1) Operation description
The skid control ECU determines the vehicle operating conditions based on signals received from the wheel speed sensors, yaw rate and acceleration sensor, and steering angle sensor. The skid control ECU sends signals via CAN communication to the HV control ECU in order to control engine torque. The skid control ECU controls brake hydraulic pressure using the solenoid valves.
The SLIP indicator light will blink, and the skid control buzzer will sound when the system is operating. If a malfunction occurs in the VSC system, both the brake control warning, master caution indicator and the SLIP indicator lights will come on. In addition, the DTC will appear on the multi information display.

Here are some interesting notes for you!

FUNCTION OF COMPONENTS-
Skid control ECU:
Processes the signals from each sensor to perform brake control for ABS, TRAC, and VSC. In addition, it communicates with the HV control ECU to output a control signal.
ABS main relay (ABS NO. 1, 2 relay):
Controlled by the skid control ECU. In addition to supplying power to each solenoid, it supplies power to the skid control ECU.
ABS motor relay (ABS MTR1, 2 relay):
Controlled by the skid control ECU. Supplies power to the pump motor.
Speed sensor:
Detects the wheel speed and inputs the results to the skid control ECU.
Stop light switch:
Detects the brake operating conditions and inputs the results to the skid control ECU. It supplies power to the skid control ECU.
Brake pedal stroke sensor:
Detects the brake pedal stroke volume and inputs the results to the skid control ECU.
Brake control power supply:
Provides the system with a supplementary power supply by discharging the electric charge of the capacitor. It happens when an electric charge is accumulated in the capacitor in the unit and the vehicle power voltage (12 V) is reduced.
Skid control buzzer:
  • Sounds intermittently to inform the driver that the VSC is active.
  • Sounds continuously to warn the driver of a reduction in accumulator hydraulic pressure in the brake actuator, an abnormality in the power supply system, or a reduction in the vehicle power voltage (12 V).
HV control ECU:
Controls the engine output during the operation of TRAC and VSC by communicating with the skid control ECU.
Yaw rate and acceleration sensor:
Detects the yaw rate (axial rotation) and the forward, rearward and lateral acceleration, and inputs the results to the skid control ECU.
Steering angle sensor:
Detects the steering angle and direction, and outputs the results to the skid control ECU through CAN communication.
Master cylinder:
Generates pressure in accordance with the force of the brake operation.
Brake fluid reservoir:
Stores brake fluid for the master cylinder system and power supply system.
Brake fluid level warning switch:
Detects a reduction in the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir.
Stroke simulator:
Generates a natural pedal stroke in accordance with the pedal force of the driver during system operation (integrated with the master cylinder).
Stroke simulator cut valve (SCSS):
Sends brake fluid pressure generated in master cylinder to stroke simulator during system control.
Brake actuator:
Controls the hydraulic pressure of each of the four wheel cylinders using the output signal of the skid control ECU.
Pump motor:
Pumps up the brake fluid from the reservoir and supplies the accumulator with high hydraulic pressure.
Accumulator:
Accumulates for the hydraulic pressure that was generated by the pump.
Accumulator pressure sensor (PACC):
Built into the brake actuator to detect the accumulator hydraulic pressure.
Relief valve:
Prevents excessive high pressure in the power supply system. It relieves the system by sending brake fluid to the reservoir when the pump has operated continuously, for example, during an accumulator hydraulic pressure sensor malfunction.
Master cylinder pressure sensor:
(PMC1, PMC2)
Built into the brake actuator to detect the pressure of the master cylinder and input the results to the skid control ECU.
Wheel cylinder pressure sensor:
(PFR, PFL, PRR, PRL)
Built into the brake actuator to detect the brake hydraulic pressure of each wheel cylinder.
Switching solenoid valve:
(SMC1, SMC2)
Switches the brake hydraulic pressure route according to whether normal brakes are used, or VDIM (ABS, TRAC and VSC) control is used.
Linear solenoid valve:
(SLA##, SLR##)
Controls the wheel cylinder hydraulic pressure during normal brake operation, and VDIM (ABS, TRAC and VSC) control. SLA## are solenoids for controlling pressure increases, while SLR## are solenoids for controlling pressure decreases.
ABS warning light:
  • Comes on to inform the driver that a malfunction in the ABS or BA has occurred.
  • Blinks to output DTC.
BRAKE warning light:
Comes on to inform the driver that the parking brake is on when the system is normal or the brake fluid has decreased.
Brake control warning light:
Comes on to inform the driver that a malfunction in the Electronically Controlled Brake or VSC system has occurred.
SLIP indicator light:
Blinks to inform the driver that TRAC and VSC are operating.
Master caution indicator light:
Comes on to inform the driver that a malfunction in the Electronically Controlled Brake or VSC system has occurred.
Multi information display:
  • Displays to inform the driver that a malfunction in the Electronically Controlled Brake or VSC system has occurred.
  • Displays output DTC.

Last edited by hazer00; 02-04-2009 at 08:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazer00 For This Useful Post:
duetse (10-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid