Hybrid oil changes - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid

Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View tortugas's Photo Gallery
Hybrid oil changes

I have an 2007 Camry hybrid and an 2008 Civic Hybrid. I see both manuals recommend 0W20 or 30 oil. I recently had my oil changed at a local place and the receipt said they used a 10W30. Is there really a different oil just for hybrids? I thought the gasoline engine was the same as a non-hybrid and it was only the electric motor that made them different. Is another weighted oil bad for my hybrid engines?
tortugas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $312065
View Frodo65's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortugas View Post
I have an 2007 Camry hybrid and an 2008 Civic Hybrid. I see both manuals recommend 0W20 or 30 oil. I recently had my oil changed at a local place and the receipt said they used a 10W30. Is there really a different oil just for hybrids? I thought the gasoline engine was the same as a non-hybrid and it was only the electric motor that made them different. Is another weighted oil bad for my hybrid engines?
I had the dealer do the first oil change (included in price). They used 10W30. Noticed ~1.5 MPG drop while the heavier oil was in. The 10K change I did with M1 0W20 - with ~3 MPG improvement, kinda expected as the car's wearing in. The other thing I noticed with the heavier oil was a more pronounced 'hesitation' when the ICE started/stopped.

The 0W20 isn't just for hybrids - several of the latest Toyota motors have it as the preferred variety. The motivation is higher fuel economy.
Frodo65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View Hugh R's Photo Gallery
New to this board, but. One of my brother-in-laws works for Toyota North America in Torrance, CA and is involved in QA/QC, he says use 5/20 if you live in places like LA or other warm areas, year round, and use the 0/20 in the winter if you live in places like MN or NYC in the winter.
1984 Porsche 911 Targa ROW
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Let me out of my cage....

Gameroom cash: $244750
Lifetime Supreme Member
View HATEnFATE's Photo Gallery
The owners manual should state to use only 5w-20 conventional or 0W20 synthetic oil.

At our dealership, we go by what Toyota says we should put in the vehicle.

10W-30 in a hybrid is boarderline rediculous. A 2004 prius would have thrown a check engine light because of that.

Jason Johnston
Toyota/Scion of Des Moines
(800)342-7045

Last edited by HATEnFATE; 08-21-2009 at 08:30 AM.
HATEnFATE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Regenerator

Lifetime Supreme Member
View ekpolk's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HATEnFATE View Post
The owners manual should state to use only 5w-20 conventional or 0W20 synthetic oil.

At our dealership, we go by what Toyota says we should put in the vehicle.

10W-30 in a hybrid is boarderline rediculous. A 2004 prius would have thrown a check engine light because of that.
It is ridiculous, but no, it won't make you throw codes. Remember, the 04-09 cars are spec for 5w-30 oils. The W number speaks only to the oil's cold behavior. There are 10w-30 oils that are actually thinner when hot than some 5w-30 oils. For most of the time I've owned our 04 Prius, I've run 2004 "vintage" Syntec 0w-30 (the German made version, commonly known as "German Castrol" or GC). This stuff is over 12 centistokes when hot, making it very nearly a 40 wt oil. And I've never had a CEL. I've also run a fill of Mobil-1 HM 10w-30 (tried just because it's a well regarded oil). It is 11.8 cSt when hot, so also a very thick 30, and no CEL with it either. Anyway, for whatever reason, Toyota stuck with 5w-30 for the 04-09 Prius (I suspect based upon my oil analysis it's a fuel dilution issue with the NZ series engines). On the other hand, we have at least one Prius owner at BITOG (Bobistheoilguy.com) who has run 20 wt oil in his 04 with no problems.
ekpolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Gator

View GvilleTCH's Photo Gallery
Oil threads are always such fun... FWIW : with over 47k miles , I use Amsoil 0w-20 Synthetic and an Amsoil EAO-10 filter. No problems and been very happy with my choice . I could say how often I change both of them , but since that would start flames , I'll just say I change my oil and filter when I need to...
2009 BRM/Bisque TCH : UT w/Nav,LA,SR,CQ with PV50 and RX60. CoverCraft Evolution and UVS100; FormulaOne Pinnacle 35/15/15 Tint; LLumar Paint Protection; Vinguard; Mudguards; Silverstar Ultra 9005 & Silverstar 3457A. AMSOIL SS 0w-20 w/ EaO10 ; Shell V-POWER 93
GvilleTCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View Boston Redneck's Photo Gallery
You should always use what is recommended by the factory and over the last few years Toyota has made it idiot proof by putting the recommended weight on the oil cap.
Boston Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Regenerator

Lifetime Supreme Member
View ekpolk's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Redneck View Post
You should always use what is recommended by the factory and over the last few years Toyota has made it idiot proof by putting the recommended weight on the oil cap.
Except for the fact that, apparently, Toyota has a huge stock of old 5w-30 oil caps, and was sticking them on engines, even after they changed the rec. The cap and the manual for our Avalon conflict with one another. The cap for the TCH says 0w-20 or 5w-20, as does the manual, but the manual also says that thicker oil may be appropriate for extreme operating conditions -- of course, mentioned nowhere on the cap.
ekpolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid