Paint Protection Film - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Paint Protection Film

Hey has anybody had the 3m Scotchgard Paint Protection Film applied? My salesperson recommended it from a third party vendor (dealership does not sell it).

I was wondering how much it costs to do the front end and how well it holds up. I see the expected life is 5 years.

Bob - Oregon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
New TN User

Location: Lakeside, CA national home of the horsefly and meth lab
Paint film

Your Toyota doesn't need any protection because it has a clear coat on it. As long as the clear coat is there your paint will never oxidize. After many cleanings the clear coat will show the ubiquitous scratches and a good name brand non-cleaner wax will fill the scratches and make it look new again. That should take at least two years in the frozen regions, three to four in the dry southwest where the cars stay cleaner longer. Any coatings/protectors that the dealers sell just adds more to their profit margin.
#3 Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I live in an area that has several sand and gravel operations, hence the local roadways throw lots of grit and rock during normal driving. I have a red Sienna that shows LOTS of front end rock chips. I am told the paint protection film is the best solution. I see its even called the "clear bra". The local Lexus dealer is big on the "clear bra" solution.
#4 Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
New TN User

My brother in law put it on his charger, works great!
#5 Old 08-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Getting my new highlander in two weeks . Do I want the protective 3 m film? Toyota said they put it on entire bumper , 4 inch on hood like a bug shield fenders and mirrors. My prius is also blizzard pearl and paint most be soft because we drive on paved streets but it has a to of chips and of course bugs are terrible. . My dealer quoted 399
#6 Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
3m film is really worth it my opinion. The stuff you practically take a screwdriver across it and will not get down to the paint. Cars now days are so co-efficient there is no air buffer, to keep the rocks from missing your car. The film is not cheap to have installed. But well worth it.
#7 Old 08-22-2014, 07:28 AM
2012 TCH XLE

I made the mistake of buying a 2006 Ford Five Hundred a nice full sized car. The dealer had his list of prices next to the MSRP factory list.

It was marked $600 for a protective film they had put on the car. This was a sales gimmick many Dallas dealers used as a negotiating tool when dealing with a customer.

I told the Ford sales manager, I would not consider buying his Ford until he remove is $600 film price. He removed it immediately. I also reminded him how we came by on a Sunday when they were closed looking at this car and others and all had the added $600 which caused me almost not to come back.

Anyway I love the large wide full sized sedan which was a copy body from a Volvo which Ford had bought a year or so earlier.

The problem was after owning the car for a while it had electrical problems. The car had their first 6-speed automatic for a vehicle that was sluggish on shifting and would jerk at times. Lots of TSB's kept me going back again and again. The very next year in 2007 Ford and Chevy came out with a perfected 6-speed transmission.

So my Ford nearing a year ownership the some of the instrument panel lights would blink or go off completely. The headlights were also hard to turn off once we were at home. Not the switch but some messed up sticking relay which may be poor grounding due to a large cable plug to the ECU under the dash were you could not get to it.

Another bug was the AC clutch. During the summer we leave the AC on and shut of the key and go inside. So the next day being hot we start the car in in a few seconds it sounds like a gun going off under the hood when the compressor clutch engages. I took it twice to the dealer for testing. Both times they said it's normal as they tested their other same model cars on the lot. That was the last straw and I went looking for a better car.

So looking around I found the new 2007 Toyota TCH was the way to go. Man I used to worry buying the more expensive Toyota brand but man no wonder people love these cars. I was so impressed with my '07 TCH after 5 years I traded up and bought a '12 XLE TCH. This time I got it loaded as I know it will last and I can enjoy driving it for many years including it's usual high mpg.

So that's my protective film story and the TCH had no such $600 sticker on either car when it was new. Everybody should know their vehicle includes the clear coat from the factory that started many years ago so the paint is very hard to scratch and prevents weather fading.

My car is white and ever year or so I wash it with a pale of water with a added cup or two of dawn dish washing soap. The white is then so bright it hurts you eyes to look at it on a sunny day and the clear coat shines similar to a wax job. I do use a blue liquid car soap I regularly wash with. I buy the blue wash from walmart's automotive area.

Here is a picture of my TCH after using the dawn dish washing soap a few days before trading if for the '12 model. Be sure to rinse your car well afterward.

#8 Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, it all depends where you live and where you drive your car. Here in Canada, during the winter, they add so much salt, sand and gravel on the roads that it's almost impossible to keep a car in good shape. My TCH is barely a year old and already has a few rock chips on the hood and bumper. And trust me, the clearcoat will not give you any protection here.

I didn't get the protection film but maybe I should have. You should see my wife's 6 year old Honda Fit, the windshield will need replacement soon due to all the rock chips and (repaired) cracks on it. The hood looks like its got dimples on it from all the paint touchups I've done. Fortunately, no rust (yet).

2013 Camry LE Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid