Electronic Key programming - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid

Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $130300
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View johnjan's Photo Gallery
Electronic Key programming

I recently bough a smart key off ebay for a Toyota Camry Hybrid. I guess I have to take it to the dealer for re-programming it for my Camry, correct?
johnjan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $377500
View ukrkoz's Photo Gallery
so they say. costs vary from $40 to $50+. it's said to be 15 min job.

actually, you do not reprogram your key. you reprogram your ECU to recognize the key.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 01-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.
ukrkoz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I took the key to a Toyota Dealer in Mississauga, ON Canada and they say that despite the key belonging to a 07 TCH cannot be reprogrammed for my 08 TCH. They did try it for a while before giving up. Fortunately they did not charge me anything for their effort.

Really do not know what I should do with this key now. It cost me $50 to buy it on Ebay.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
AML
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $229000
View AML's Photo Gallery
eBay keys are not going to work. You're pretty much gonna have to order it from the dealer and have them program it for you. You're probably gonna be looking to spend $250-350 in all for key and programming.
AML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View rsteinbr's Photo Gallery
Used key reprogramming

I tried the route of buying a used EBay key and having the dealer reprogram it. At first they told me they had tried the procedure before and it wouldn't work.

I asked the technician to perform a lost-key reprogramming where they reset the car to recognize all keys rather than just loading a new key. He said they had never tried it before but would give it a go. Lo and behold it worked and they were extremely surprised because they were unaware of this procedure in their service manual (but obviously found it).

So, when you talk to your dealer make sure they understand that the lost key procedure must be used. It worked with both of the used spares that I got.
rsteinbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsteinbr For This Useful Post:
desiboy420 (03-28-2012), johnjan (02-05-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

rsteinbr,

How much did they charge for it?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View rsteinbr's Photo Gallery
Originally they were going to charge me for a 30 minute service operation. When they realized it was a lost-key reprogramming they said they would charge for one hour. This dealer charges $90/hour but each dealer is free to set their rates so call around to get the best price. I purchased two spares because my used car came with only one key and I didn't want to go do this again in the event I lose one in the future.

Good luck.
rsteinbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View acco20's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteinbr View Post
I tried the route of buying a used EBay key and having the dealer reprogram it. At first they told me they had tried the procedure before and it wouldn't work.

I asked the technician to perform a lost-key reprogramming where they reset the car to recognize all keys rather than just loading a new key. He said they had never tried it before but would give it a go. Lo and behold it worked and they were extremely surprised because they were unaware of this procedure in their service manual (but obviously found it).

So, when you talk to your dealer make sure they understand that the lost key procedure must be used. It worked with both of the used spares that I got.
Does the lost key program mean that anyones fob will now work for your car??? It sounds like it.....I doubt it, but do you know for sure?
acco20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $377500
View ukrkoz's Photo Gallery
well, it is yes and no.
only the same model fob will work. not every fob.
the same model fob will work only if your car ECU learns it and acknowledges is, so to speak.
anywhere you park in larger parking lots, there's at least several about same year camries. manufacturers are very particular about fobs from car A not to work on car B. hence, they came up with rolling codes. so, a fob has to be mated with a car to work.

while we on fobs topic.

if you stepped on your fob or case cracked, etc - don't run to dealer to fork 200 greenbacks to buy a new fob. replacement cases are available for around $35 internet, and apparently the old fob innards can be simply transfered into a new case and it's all nice and dandy now.
ukrkoz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View acco20's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
well, it is yes and no.
only the same model fob will work. not every fob.
the same model fob will work only if your car ECU learns it and acknowledges is, so to speak.
anywhere you park in larger parking lots, there's at least several about same year camries. manufacturers are very particular about fobs from car A not to work on car B. hence, they came up with rolling codes. so, a fob has to be mated with a car to work.

while we on fobs topic.

if you stepped on your fob or case cracked, etc - don't run to dealer to fork 200 greenbacks to buy a new fob. replacement cases are available for around $35 internet, and apparently the old fob innards can be simply transfered into a new case and it's all nice and dandy now.
Thank you for your response....and nice to know about the replacement cases...
acco20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

My ebay keyless remote worked

Found a guy on Finch/Weston in Toronto who programmed 1 used keyless remote.

He erased the registered keys from the car computer and then added the original and the 1 used key.

I had bought the used key from ebay given the identical FCC numbers at the back of the key. The key did not necessarily belong to the year of my Camry i.e. 2008. Took the key to a dealer who said they cannot do it. Other Toyota stealers also said the same.

But the guy (a convenience store owner with a diagnostic kit and a laptop) in Toronto did it. He charged me $80 and took an hour.

Last edited by johnjan; 09-19-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid