Drive off without a SMART Key? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Drive off without a SMART Key?

I was curious and tried driving off with my hybrid and leaving the key in the mail box to see what would happen. And, although the car said at first no key detected, I was able to drive off for about a block and comeback. I thought the engine would have shut off? Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
The Tri-Camry Family

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I haven't used push start ignition but I would think it should shut off after a few yards.

Pretty much like this

"Yūko" 2001 Camry 5S-FE/A140E @ 114k
"Sandy" 2002 Camry 2AZ-FE/U241E @ 178k
"Chihaya" 2012 Camry 2AR-FE/U760E @ 47K
#3 Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I thought the same would happen. I began to wonder because sometimes I leave my car on in the winter as I run into get something at a store. But, I thought to myself "it will probably shut off if I walk too far away." However, I started to notice I could walk away pretty far and it would not shut off. Therefore I tried to drive off leaving my key behind and I was able to get a block away and turn back without it ever turning off.
#4 Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM
AML
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It won't turn off obviously for safety reasons. Say you forgot your key and you were driving and it just shut off in the middle of the road. Not good.

What happens is that once you shut off the car, you obviously won't be able to restart it.

That Top Gear video clip didn't show the Challenger shutting off within a certain distance or time. Clarkson purposely parked it in the street and shut it down himself.

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
2013 Toyota 4Runner Limited
2013 Toyota Camry SE V6
#5 Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AML View Post
It won't turn off obviously for safety reasons. Say you forgot your key and you were driving and it just shut off in the middle of the road. Not good.

What happens is that once you shut off the car, you obviously won't be able to restart it.

That Top Gear video clip didn't show the Challenger shutting off within a certain distance or time. Clarkson purposely parked it in the street and shut it down himself.
OK, that makes sense as well. I thought that video showed it shutting off. So my car can get stolen and driven to another state if I leave it running outside. They just won't be able to start it up again when they get it home.
#6 Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
The Tri-Camry Family

Quote:
Others did say that the key has to be inside the Challenger to start. But every car is different and can vary by year, trim, and engine. It was for a bit of entertainment. I can see from a safety standpoint not having the engine shut down if it's away from the key.

But it can be an inconvenience, let's say: you’re in a hurry and unlock your door. Got in, start your car, and drive off. After a 40 minutes commute to work, you parked your car, get out to realized that you don't have the key. Did you leave it on the roof? On the kitchen table? What if it's in the coat that you switched after starting the car? Now you can't get home. The chance of that happening is very low but I have seen people leaving bags, soda can, and gloves on their roof. And countless time when drivers forget to close their gas cap. You just never know.

What Toyota can do is if the vehicle don't detect the key after 2 minutes or 5 miles of driving that it gives off a chime or beep

Last edited by Yuko; 02-03-2011 at 10:55 PM.
#7 Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 AM
AML
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuko View Post
Others did say that the key has to be inside the Challenger to start. But every car is different and can vary by year, trim, and engine. It was for a bit of entertainment. I can see from a safety standpoint not having the engine shut down if it's away from the key.

But it can be an inconvenience, let's say: you’re in a hurry and unlock your door. Got in, start your car, and drive off. After a 40 minutes commute to work, you parked your car, get out to realized that you don't have the key. Did you leave it on the roof? On the kitchen table? What if it's in the coat that you switched after starting the car? Now you can't get home. The chance of that happening is very low but I have seen people leaving bags, soda can, and gloves on their roof. And countless time when drivers forget to close their gas cap. You just never know.

What Toyota can do is if the vehicle don't detect the key after 2 minutes or 5 miles of driving that it gives off a chime or beep
It actually does do what you suggested! If the vehicle is still on and you leave the car with the key, the chime inside AND the beep outside will sound at you for a few seconds as well as a warning on the instrument cluster MFD that says "KEY NOT DETECTED".

It will do this every time you open or close any of the four doors.

2013 Toyota Camry SE V6

Last edited by AML; 02-04-2011 at 01:08 AM.
#8 Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 AM
The Tri-Camry Family

Quote:
It actually does do what you suggested! If the vehicle is still on and you leave the car with the key, the chime inside AND the beep outside will sound at you for a few seconds as well as a warning on the instrument cluster MFD that says "KEY NOT DETECTED".

It will do this every time you open or close any of the four doors.
That's neat. I haven't used any push-start ignition system so I didn't know.

#9 Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
have cute news for y'all. once started, TCH can be driven anywhere WITHOUT KEY WITHIN SENSOR ZONES.

in plain English, you can start the car, leave car, someone else can get in, and drive away without key present.

engine will run until runs out of gas or until power button will be pressed and will not start thereafter, unless key is present.

no one asks my opinion, but i feel this is one of the dummest things i have seen in my life. why they could not make it so that key has to be within a specific radius or shut it down if it's out of radius for more than yey many minutes - have no idea. i have already left her running several times, as when you park, ICE shuts down, and there is no audible cues that it still runs.
#10 Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 PM
AML
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
have cute news for y'all. once started, TCH can be driven anywhere WITHOUT KEY WITHIN SENSOR ZONES.

in plain English, you can start the car, leave car, someone else can get in, and drive away without key present.

engine will run until runs out of gas or until power button will be pressed and will not start thereafter, unless key is present.

no one asks my opinion, but i feel this is one of the dummest things i have seen in my life. why they could not make it so that key has to be within a specific radius or shut it down if it's out of radius for more than yey many minutes - have no idea. i have already left her running several times, as when you park, ICE shuts down, and there is no audible cues that it still runs.
When you leave the car and shut the door it should be beeping at you and warning you the key is not detected. Its a safety liability to have the car shut down under any parameters if its driven off without the key.

2013 Toyota Camry SE V6
#11 Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior TN Member

yes, and you are in downtown high noise level traffic, and you are on the cell phone or distracted otherwise, and much good those 3 beeps do. fortunately for me, i am religious about locking the doors.
so, let's blaim it on a dumm owner. i stay with my point. it should not be driveable with key gone.
#12 Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
AML
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
yes, and you are in downtown high noise level traffic, and you are on the cell phone or distracted otherwise, and much good those 3 beeps do. fortunately for me, i am religious about locking the doors.
so, let's blaim it on a dumm owner. i stay with my point. it should not be driveable with key gone.
That is entirely the fault of the owner for being distracted and ignorant. Safety liabilities supersede any and all concerns that you have expressed thus far. A vehicle should not and will not shut down under any circumstances if it is driven off without the key present.

We should try and concentrate more on creating better and more educated drivers rather than creating new and more "nannies" to try and make up for our lack of skill and common sense.

2013 Toyota Camry SE V6
#13 Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Buyer's remorse

I think that you would need to be pretty daft to drive without the key after the car warns you aggressively with audible and visual indicators.
#14 Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Senior TN Member

razol, point is not being a stupid (=daft) driver that DRIVES after car gave you clues that it's keyless and running.
point is - SOMEONE ELSE can get into that car and DRIVE IT AWAY without that "smart" car preventing this.
there are no AGRESSIVE visual and audible clues. 3 low tone beeps? there is no honking, no flashing lights the father you go away from it. 3 beeps, thereafter - it's free for taking and being driven away.
trust me one thing - you have PLENTY of elderly drivers that can't hear damn beeps. drivers that are hearing impaired. drivers that are so much involved into cell phone conversations, chat with a pal, any other distrective situation, that will not notice those beeps. plus, in modern environment, there's a bazillion of beeps coming from all over everywhere. those 3 are in no manner different from anything else that beeps.
forever ever will i remember our NINETEEN EIGHTY SIX, YES, Chrysler leBaron. you forgot to turn the headlights off, open the door - pleasant male voice will say "your headlights are on". left car key in the key station? "Please, do not forget your key".

you see, 1986. what was it, 30 yrs ago? no nav systems, no hybrids, no fancy computers inside. VOICE MESSAGING. 21 commands. my wife is still missing this, and she's driving expensive lexus.

so yeah, nav system will give you all kinds of dumm directions in pure britt accent. you can do voice dialing and commanding. but to say "Please, do not forget to turn off your engine" - oh, that's waaaaay too simple. betcha you'll jump on that power button right away.
and if you still WISH to leave that engine running - well, daah, you are a dumm, sorry, daft driver.
#15 Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Official TN Member

My fob battery died and in this town a 1632 battery is special order and takes a week.

So I can hold my fob up to the start button and start the car, but after that there is no key present as far as the car is concerned. So what people are saying is that when the fob battery is dead, one cannot drive their car!!!

On one thread people are complaining about the 'nanny' car when it comes to the fuel gauge, but here they want the car to be even more of a nanny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid