Camry Hybrid Transmission Fluid? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Camry Hybrid Transmission Fluid?

i got a 08 tch and i dont believe the manual says anythin about transmission fluid. This CVT is kinda new to me and i was wondering if anybody here got any input on whether or not the car even uses transmission fluid or something like that b/c i might have to change it soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auwahwong View Post
i got a 08 tch and i dont believe the manual says anythin about transmission fluid. This CVT is kinda new to me and i was wondering if anybody here got any input on whether or not the car even uses transmission fluid or something like that b/c i might have to change it soon

1. Toyota believes it's a lifetime fluid
2. of course, it needs to be changed, unless you are one of those zealots that firmly believes into anything a car maker says
3. it's WC ATF, world class, i think. price varies from dealership to dealership, i paid 7 bucks a can
4. you need 4 cans.
5. click on my name and then on "all posts" and find one about ATF change. i have complete write up with pics on "how to".
6. around here, folks sort of agree to change it around 50-60 K miles.
7. why is that you "might have" to change it soon? problems?

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
auwahwong (06-29-2011)
#3 Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. Toyota believes it's a lifetime fluid
2. of course, it needs to be changed, unless you are one of those zealots that firmly believes into anything a car maker says
3. it's WC ATF, world class, i think. price varies from dealership to dealership, i paid 7 bucks a can
4. you need 4 cans.
5. click on my name and then on "all posts" and find one about ATF change. i have complete write up with pics on "how to".
6. around here, folks sort of agree to change it around 50-60 K miles.
7. why is that you "might have" to change it soon? problems?

thanks for all your answers, i just think so because im at 53k miles and i assumed that would be the appropriate miles to do so.
#4 Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
you welcome. yes, it's about time. you really don't have to, but you know, for the sake of sleeping well...

#5 Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Just as an FYI, Toyota Canada has always recommended this fluid be changed at 72 month or 96000km (60,000 mile) intervals.
#6 Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auwahwong View Post
HSD is not like other CVT designs that depend on friction (e.g. belt-based CVTs). As such, it's not as hard on the fluid as those designs. It's more like a manual transmission or a differential in terms of what it demands of its lubricant, i.e. lubrication and heat transfer.

That said, a 'lifetime lubricant' is prophetic - when the lubricant can't do its job, the component life ends. Every lubricant will deteriorate with time and heat cycles, and keeping lubricant pristine will extend component life. A 5 year change interval will keep the electric motors and related gear humming happily for a long time. Also keep in mind that driving cycles and conditions that generate high heat in the HSD indicate a shorter change interval.
#7 Old 07-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Official TN Member

I had my TCH transaxle fluid analyzed by a lab at 55k miles. Levels were pretty decent, but the silicate levels (think sand) were a bit high. According to some prius guys, it's residual stuff left over from the casting process. My fluid was dark red (a bit dirty). It's probably a good idea to change the fluid at least once to get the casting stuff out, since silicates will cause added wear if enough is present . After that, it should last longer.

My results report is in the post below:

TCH Transaxle fluid analysis report is in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid