Camry Hybrid. Anyone know of a plug-in conversion kit for the camry? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Camry Hybrid. Anyone know of a plug-in conversion kit for the camry?

My name is Andrew. I own a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I have seen all these people who own Priuses adding a plug-in conversion kit to them. I was wondering if anyone knows of a plug-in conversion kit made for the Camry Hybrid. I am interested in buying one and having it installed as I want to as electric as I can...please advise if you can refer me to a product and installer who does this. Oh and I live in the Washington, DC area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Official TN Member

AFAIK no one makes a kit for the TCH. And the ones that do exist for the Prius are only for the second gen models.

All that being said, IMHO it's a significant monetary investment (on the order of $10k for the Prius version) for questionable gain for the majority of users. Most Pruis' with this kit achieve somewhere around 25-30miles of all electric low speed ( below 34mph ) driving before reverting to conventional Hybrid operation.
The additional battery pack weighs close to 200lbs which puts a 2-3mpg dent in fuel economy when in conventional hybrid mode. The battery pack for the Camry will probably have to weigh more...
And i'm sure Toyota would like no better reason to void your Hybrid Component Warranty if this system is installed.

If your goal is to be as electric as possible, a better choice if you don't really need the room of the Camry is a Nissan Leaf, or you could just wait for the Plug in Prius coming out in a little while.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Wise Men STILL seek Him!
#3 Old 10-02-2011, 01:42 PM
New TN User

www.enginer.us

There are several Hybrid Camry's running this kit.
#4 Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Senior TN Member

we had this discussed here before, and it keeps coming back like bad penny. financially, it is not worth it. total cost does not warrant install, even if you drive TCH until wheels fall off. not enough mpg gain and realistically speaking, car will be sold way before kit pays for itself. plus, there's a lot of negative feedback on those anyway. it's hip, but ain't worth it.

#5 Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweyrich View Post
My name is Andrew. I own a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I have seen all these people who own Priuses adding a plug-in conversion kit to them. I was wondering if anyone knows of a plug-in conversion kit made for the Camry Hybrid. I am interested in buying one and having it installed as I want to as electric as I can...please advise if you can refer me to a product and installer who does this. Oh and I live in the Washington, DC area.
Based on a report I saw the all electrics get around 9 MPG because of the cost of electricity to charge them up. So think about it, the cost of electricity ( not always green if it comes from coal) depending on where you live, VS gas & electric.

The Bitterness of Poor Quality,Lingers Long After the Cheapness of Price is Forgotten!
#6 Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCromwell View Post
Based on a report I saw the all electrics get around 9 MPG because of the cost of electricity to charge them up. So think about it, the cost of electricity ( not always green if it comes from coal) depending on where you live, VS gas & electric.

I think your report was written by an above average ape. Calculating cost of electricity for miles driven, it is typically under $1.00 per gallon equivalent. If it were really 9MPG equiv, NO ONE would buy an electric (unless they were an above average ape, of course).
#7 Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Official TN Member

USA TCH battery mod for higher total combined power: 300HP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetttstream View Post
www.enginer.us

There are several Hybrid Camry's running this kit.
Any more info on TCH (2012 model even... but I know its too much to ask) battery mod add-on? Plug In or not? I am not just looking at this from the driving electric only for longer distacnes. I also want to get that monster electric motor (105KW or 141 HP) fully powered to add to the 156 HP gas engine. Right now, the 1.6KWH battery is what limits the total gas+electric power at 200HP (new 2012 Camry Hybrid Toyota spec, adding just 34HP as the electric motor contribution, vs. 40HP in previous TCH gen). So the battery limits the electric motor's power. Otherwise, we may get a 300HP car (yes, needs different tiers etc but)... for a very cheap price.

Going to get a 2012 XLE hybrid with convinience and Entune/nav packages (no moonroof!). Thinking as an experiemnt, when the current battery ends its life (warrenty here is 10 years/150K miles so quite a long way to go), trying to mod this car as above.

Thanks for any info

(new to Toyota and to Camry coming from Pontiac - this site is great!).
#8 Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Official TN Member

I believe the inverter would also need to be enhanced, since it is only designed to handle the ~200 combined system HP. I'm sure the inverter is underrated for reliability reasons (especially in high-heat areas), so I wouldn't be surprised if it could handle ~250 combined HP. Of course, you'd need to somehow decrypt and modify the computer code to allow this extra power (impossible so far), or augment the computer with a custom computer like the highest capacity Enginer system does (I think...). I wonder if you could somehow hijack/modify parameter data in the CAN BUS to trick the car into allowing more power to the inverter... Risky, but interesting.
#9 Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
^Good luck with that. It is very difficult to mess with any Toyota systems to modify them, why do you think tuners don't work on ANY Toyota?

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#10 Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Official TN Member

USA Hybrid modes - e.g. Prius', for Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym1978 View Post
I believe the inverter would also need to be enhanced, since it is only designed to handle the ~200 combined system HP. I'm sure the inverter is underrated for reliability reasons (especially in high-heat areas), so I wouldn't be surprised if it could handle ~250 combined HP. Of course, you'd need to somehow decrypt and modify the computer code to allow this extra power (impossible so far), or augment the computer with a custom computer like the highest capacity Enginer system does (I think...). I wonder if you could somehow hijack/modify parameter data in the CAN BUS to trick the car into allowing more power to the inverter... Risky, but interesting.
You are right about the Enginer system (it has its own computer to supervise the higher capacity/plug in LiIN battery). There are few other makers of batteries, but the Camry Hybrid has none (it was not a popular model only few sold vs. the Prius).

Honda used hybrid before for more power (peak power on a temp bassis) where they did combine fully electric motor power, their aim was not the MPGs. However, one needs both MPGs and power and of course cost - that is the challange for Toyota. Maybe we will see it in a future model.

As for the current hybrid, once the life of the battery is done (10+ years as per warrenty in CA following states in the USA), and the value of the car will no longer be high (no one will do this on a new car of course), it will be interesting to experiment with such platforms.... they have less moving parts, and the hybrid system other than the battery is even warrented for 15 years/150K miles.. so Toyota must have made them quite reliable... I am not a mechanical engineer to be able to tell you if the mechanics will support 300HP vs 200... I think it will give above reliability, but yes its an experiment. Everythign being designed has a life span, and for Toyota to offer 15 years warrenty they had to do it a bit stronger... Interesting experiment indeed.

I do not suggest doing this on my own of course, and I have this topic as what I would like to see in next gen Camry Hybrid - 2016-2017 or so. But given Toyota is slow.. it may only come in Gen 9 ....

Last edited by CamryHybrid2011; 10-31-2011 at 02:35 PM.
#11 Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 AM
New TN User

out of curiosity since its been a year...anything new on this topic?

is there any way to plug-in a factory non-plug-in camry/prius?

with the new Plug in prius, are the parts interchangeable to which you can install the kit on a non plug in camry/prius?
#12 Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanik View Post
is there any way to plug-in a factory non-plug-in camry/prius?
Yes. You just have to install the block heater option.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
#13 Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 AM
New TN User

so your saying that the in the block heater option...as you plug in the block heater, the AC from the wall will also charge up the big batteries in the trunk?
#14 Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM
2012 TCH XLE

No, the block heater is a small round probe or metal bar about 4" long and 1/2" thick. It's used to preheat the block a hour or two before you drive off the car. It contained a resistance heating element. You use a extension cord to plug up to it's plug usually laid on top the drivers side of the radiator.

I may have misread your question but the block heater has nothing to do with the traction battery.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 11-20-2012 at 06:08 AM.
#15 Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 AM
2012 TCH XLE

Plug-In Cars

I read in some auto magazine comparing the hybrid at $750 per year fuel cost vs the Volt at $500 per year electrical cost. I may have the figures wrong, but it was some comparison showing the Volt don't just run for free.

I would like to have a simple regulated DC charger around 245 volts to charge the traction battery here at home. I usually drain mine down to where the engine starts when i'm entering my driveway. This is after the 2 mile drive on the country road home. It's easy to keep the car in EV by using the Cruise Control at 25 mpg. If I could recharge the battery we have in the TCH, I could then drive the 2 miles back to the highway using EV. The next full recharge on the highway only takes a couple miles.

A overnight traction battery charger would be a low cost compared to any large additional battery pack with it's added extra weight. Then again it may not be cost effective. Like most energy improvements, most takes 5 years just to break even.

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid