Check Hybrid System Light! Help! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Check Hybrid System Light! Help!

This hybrid was purchased from Philadelphia, USA in January 2011. It had 78926 miles on it.
Today it is at 100700 miles.
And today this car gave problems for the first time while coming down on one of the main streets of Toronto (University Avenue). There was a Check Hybrid System warning on the dash and the check engine light was also on. I was doing approximately 10 mph and it was stop and go traffic.

Right thereafter I went onto the highway - Gardiner Expressway West. The car would not go above 40 km/hour. This was dangerous as cars behind me started honking and swerving wildly. Fortunately I could find a safe spot to stop the car at the fork of the ON Ramp to Spadina Avenue. Meanwhile the check VSC warning came on. I turned the engine off. Turned it back on and off two times and the warning was still there. After 15 minutes while waiting for the tow truck, I turned the engine on and the warning lights had gone. Not wanting to take on risk on one of the busiest highways of the world, I had the car towed to a dealer in Mississauga.

They had no clue what was going on since there was no warning light present for them to diagnose.

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE.

Anyone as any ideas to offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
scratching my head. just to make sure, miles or kilometers? of course, it was bought in the USA.. but then you are in Ca.

I do not believe anyone will offer you a quick fix magic. It's the dreaded HSD problem. I can only raise my hands and wonder, how in the world does this happen right after 100 000 HSD warranty ends?

You won't fix it yourself. It requires proprietary s/w and equipment to scope and diagnose. We have 6 states here, CARB states, that have 150 000 miles HSD warranty. Unless you have similar in yours, you out of luck, brother. I am VERY SORRY.

My - hopeful - wild guess is your HSD battery got undercharged in stop and go traffic and threw a code on you. I am HOPING that was the case. Otherwise, read above.

#3 Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, ukrkoz. I use mph and kph interchangeably.

I have written to Toyota Motor Corp and we will see.
#4 Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior TN Member

either way, you appear to be right out of warranty. sorry, john, it looks like you had a pass of bad luck...

I am pretty positive there was at least one more member here or at another TCH forum, that had very similar issue, and it went away. he was also stuck in traffic, and battery went low, then all this wonderful lights display came about.

like I said - might have been just low charge and battery started havoc. personally - in case like this, I start scratching my head and looking at replacements. this thing will cost you arm and leg in HSD repairs.

#5 Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 PM
2012 TCH XLE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had you filled you gas tank before the check engine lamp lit. I have read, a not fully tightened gas-cap can cause a warning light to come on. If toyota can't find anything wrong, you might consider replacing the fuel cap (from your toyota dealer) as a preventive measure.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 10-09-2011 at 01:42 PM.
#6 Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Official TN Member

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Had you filled you gas tank before the check engine lamp lit. I have read, a not fully tightened gas-cap can cause a warning light to come on. If toyota can't find anything wrong, you might consider replacing the fuel cap (from your toyota dealer) as a preventive measure.
Good point, it does say on the fuel tank to make sure you hear the ticks or else it will activate the check engine light. Hope it works out well!
#7 Old 10-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Gas tank was filled a couple of days prior to the incident. It was exactly 200 miles prior to this warning showing up.
#8 Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM
2012 TCH XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjan View Post
Gas tank was filled a couple of days prior to the incident. It was exactly 200 miles prior to this warning showing up.
I doubt a not-tightened gas cap would be your problem. Most seem to have the light come on not many miles after filling the tank.
#9 Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Senior TN Member

yeah, folks, let him be. Don't confuse CEL(gas cap code) light with VSC and HSD warning lights. there's BIG difference between them.

#10 Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
This is the reply I got back from Toyota:

Dear Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for the concerns you are having with your Camry Hybrid. Because we cannot inspect your vehicle, we recommend contacting your local Toyota dealership in Canada for inspection.

You may also contact Toyota Canada for further assistance with your inquiry.

Toyota Canada, Inc.
1 Toyota Place
Scarborough, ON
Canada M1H 1H9
888-869-6828

www.toyota.ca

We have documented your comments at our National Headquarters under case reference number 1110xxxxxx.

Sincerely,
Txxxx Mxxxxx
Toyota Customer Experience
#11 Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 AM
2012 TCH XLE

[QUOTE=johnjan;3679623]This hybrid was purchased from Philadelphia, USA in January 2011. It had 78926 miles on it.
Today it is at 100700 miles.
And today this car gave problems for the first time while coming down on one of the main streets of Toronto (University Avenue). There was a Check Hybrid System warning on the dash and the check engine light was also on. I was doing approximately 10 mph and it was stop and go traffic. [QUOTE]

I did more internet searching. I found a similar high mileage incident that was caused by a faulty coil over plug. Each spark plug in the TCH has a small ignition coil over it so the TCH don't use spark plug wires. The coil is fired from the ECM. (electronic control module) The tech info it was said, to remove each coil wire at the coil and unplug at the ECM. Check each for shorts or crosses in the wiring out to each coil. Another check point is to make sure each coil wire is plugged fully onto the ECM.

No doubt Toyota knows about this type of trouble shooting. Toyota also has a tech center were local toyota dealer techs can call for advise on hard to find troubles.

My thinking it could possibly be a single defective sensor which they are many. A sensor to me, once bad would need replacing. I doubt any sensor would ever become intermittent. To top that any bad sensor should give a trouble code.
#12 Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
New TN User

I am not agree with ukrkoz, I have the same problem, CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning light onwith my main battery in green full condition and it still charge and discharge when I drive it, it just happened this morning with my 2008 TCH about 127 kmiles, so this is not about the battery...
#13 Old 08-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Official TN Member

The symptoms are similar to a failed inverter coolant pump that has been reported numerous times with the Prius. Has the pump been checked?
#14 Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM
2012 TCH XLE

Anybody mention worn spark plugs or dirty air cleaner. A good point would be to check the inverter glass and see if it's half full. The radiator coolant box should also show about half full when cool.

This was back in 2011 JohnJan mentioned the problem. I don't see where he came back to say if the warning light's came on again.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 08-31-2012 at 02:55 PM.
#15 Old 08-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Official TN Member

Folks, this was nearly a YEAR AGO! I'm sure he's either had it repaired or moved on.

Not that it matters now but my money would have been a failed inverter coolant pump. I've noticed it's a somewhat common failure on other, older hybrids. The good news is it's not a real expensive repair. The bad news is it's like a timing belt in that it can fail without warning but when it does the car goes into limp mode to give you time to get to a safe stopping point.

With the car in ready mode, open up the lid of the hybrid coolant tank and check for agitation/flow. If none, the pump is bad.

Doug

08 TCH Leather, JBL, Tint, Moonroof, Homelink, Sirus
10 Prius III, Leather, Solar, Nav, JBL (sold)

Last edited by fotomoto; 08-31-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid