2007 TCH "Check VSC System" code C1391 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
2007 TCH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2007 TCH "Check VSC System" code C1391

My 2007 TCH showed a "Check VSC System" message halfway through my commute home along with with the brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights. I made it home and parked it for the night.
The next morning the same message and lights came on so I made an appointment and took it to the dealer. For $108 the dealer runs diagnostics and finds code C1391.
The dealer wants to replace the ABS Accumulator. They say it is a sealed unit, has an internal leak, can't be repaired, and must be replaced. Parts & labor = $2,313.73. Ouch. I said I would have to schedule this replacement for a couple of weeks from now if possible. They reset the code but it came back on my commute home tonight.
They also say the water pump is beginning to leak a little and suggest replacing it ($587.57). Ouch again.
Granted this 2007 Camry Hybrid has 106,000 miles, but it has run perfectly to date with no problems and has been serviced on schedule only by the dealer where I bought it new.
Does this sound reasonable? Advice anyone?

Last edited by tdougher; 01-05-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Official TN Member

Seems reasonable, the accumulator is already a $1,800+ part. Same is true with the water pump, I got the same estimate when mine went out at 58k (but that was covered under warranty)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2007 Camry Hybrid DIY
#3 Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/200...camry-hy-4.htm

I can swear, I have seen entire accumulator walk through not so long ago. with pictures and all that. It's quite a job, but DIY-able.

You can replace water pump yourself. 2007 repair manuals are on the shelf. Hmmm... they might, actually, even have accumulator replacement. Sorry, I am 30 miles away from mine...

#4 Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#5 Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
New TN User

Exclamation Almost the identical VSC issue morphed out of control

I have a 2008 TCH with 53K miles and the VSC warning light, brake light and several others first appeared on a cold morning during a cross country trip from CA to NC. On this particular morning the temp. was about 20 degrees and just as we were preparing to leave the Flagstaff, AZ area all of these warning lights appeared. The local dealer diagnosed and found code 0177-09 for a misfired ambient temp. relay. Since they didn't have the part in stock they cleared the code and joked that since the car had just been shipped from Guam, the car probably was not used to the unusually cold temp and that it may never happen again. So we drove another 2200 miles to NC without any sign of the problem returning, thinking we were in the clear.
Well, about a week later in Raleigh the same warnings began intermittently appearing and going off. However, this time we noticed a slight pulsation in the brakes after the lights would go off. It felt like the rotors needed machining. The dealer in Raleigh, was unable to find any codes and told us the rotors needed turning. Imagine that! So I took them to my mechanic to do the work, but problem persisted. Over the past week the brake pulsations increased and we returned to the same dealer. This time the VSC warning light was on when we arrived and the dealer recorded code C1391, abnormal pressure inside the accumulator. The fix, a new ABS accumulator- with parts labor and tax just under $2700- because the part is not under warranty- only up to 3/36000! Seems like it should be since this is a common issue with TCH's.
Now I don't know what to do or who to believe. Any thoughts? Ive rerad below that some with higher mileage TCH's had this issue covered under warranty. I definitley can not afford a repair of this magnitude, especially on a car with 53K. Any tips on how I can do the same?

KA from Raleigh.
#6 Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
New TN User

Angry VSC Error C1391 Failure of ABS Control Module

I am driving down a local street in my 2007 Toy Camry Hybrid(TCH) with 61,906 miles and up pops the ABS failure light, BRAKE and warning icons. This car has had an easy life driving around town and regular service.

This core VSC/ABS brake control module apparently has failed according to two Toyota Dealers. Error Code C1391 apparently is definitive. Replacement cost at a Toyota dealer ranges from $1950 to $2450. From what I "heard", the labor is around $250, the Module the balance.

What is going on here? This type of part should not be failing at these low miles. ABS has been around for decades. This is Toyota branded equipment, Toyota should take proactive measures to address this type of failure. This is a Toyota embarrassment.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Rick
#7 Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
New TN User

Camry 2007 ABS Accumulator C1391 Failure

Two dealer service departments diagnosed C1391 as a "leaky" ABS accumulator. This premature failure should not be happening at this young car. What is the happening with these failures? What is your experience?
#8 Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
New TN User

Angry bluecamry C1391 Woes I feel your pain

Yep- I feel your pain! Just had my 2008 TCH with 53K repaired for the same exact issue. First dealer quote was almost $2700. Second dealer quote, $2100. I felt I had to have the repair since I noticed a pulsating in the brakes was accompanying the VSC warning light, which was pretty much on constantly at this point. I noticed the pulsating worsening daily. It felt like warped rotors but I knew it was related to the VSC issue. So I bit the bullet and charged the repair on my cc since I could not afford it. The dealer ordered the part but required me to take a loaner and leave the car with them if they were to order the part. I guess they didn't want me to go home and realize how insane this is and change my mind. To my surprise the next morning about 11 am they called me to come pick up the car. They had received the part and repaired that quickly.
One week post repair and everything is perfect again- no lights, warnings or pulsations, just a smooth operating THC.
Interestingly, some of the "standard" TCH noises we became accustomed to over the last few years are now absent. The car is much quieter. However, this only makes me more angry! Why?
The new ABS actuator pump assembly used to repair the car is not the original one that was on the vehicle. Toyota figured out that this part was failing. Toyota has reengineered this part for one reason- they new this part was prone to premature failure. The problem is they dont want to recall such an expensive part along with the stigma that would accompany this issue. The consumer's problem is unless it fails within the 3/36000 or you purchase an extended warranty you are stuck with the $2000+ bill.
I am now preparing the entire package to send to Toyota Corp. in hopes of reimbursement. We shall see.
KA
#9 Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM
New TN User

Camry Hybrid ABS "Actuator" Premature Failure (C1391)

KA:

I appreciate your observations and commentary about the failure of the core component Anti Lock Brake System (ABS) accumulator component. The failure of this $2500 core part in a modern vehicle with low miles definitely raises my "eyebrows". It is distinct to me because I perceive it as a premature catastrophic failure, not just the wear out or a part that needs more routine maintenance. Premature catastrophic failures should not happen in a Toyota car. I would agree with you to formally approach Toyota corporation with your concerns. I am still in the process of figuring out how to proceed.
#10 Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
New TN User

USA 2007 Toyota ABS Actuator Failure-error code C1391

So it is a month later now after the ABS actuator failure on our 2007 Camry Hybrid. We visited the service manager of the local Toyota dealer where the car and our other Toyotas have been serviced over the past 20 years. We had our review of the situation, then he directed us to call the National Toyota Customer Care center in California. We got thru after a short hold and reviewed our feelings and expectations to address the failure of this actuator part. Then the service center staff on the phone spoke to the local service manager for a while.
They agreed to work out an offer to address our concerns. Toyota customer care proposed to absorb 50% of the cost of repair. We accepted this proposal. Toyota later sent us a check for about $1000. The balance of about $1000 was paid for by us.

The part was delivered over night, installed in a morning of shop time. All is well.

Rick
#11 Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 PM
New TN User

Exactly the same problems!

My 2007 TCH has exactly the same two problems! The difference is that the water pump failed first and yesterday the Check VSC warning came on. I took it to the dealer and they also said that the ABS needs replacement.

Toyota should cover these two parts, with so many people reporting exactly the same problem, and the failures occur at the mileage (mine is now about 68k), these have to be design problems.
#12 Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM
New TN User

2007 TCH ABS Accumulator same problem

Well it seems like a bunch of others seem to have the same problem I have. My Check VSC System display came on with all the Brake lights. I'm quoted a ABS Accumulator replacement will cost $3K.
When I reported flaky brake behavior (pulsing at a standstill and noises) @ 78K Toyota said nothing was wrong with my brakes. My car was just out of extended warranty. Now at 86K miles - the failure occurs. I'm pretty easy on my car and brakes so it is unreal to have an ABS failure on a 5 yr old car.

First thing I did was call the Service department. I was told it might just be the sensors and I could still drive it. I didn't listen to them and I'm glad - something just seemed wrong with that advice - after all the brakes just seemed to be pulsing all the time. I just can't imagine what would have happened if I let this go for a few days when my car was leaking brake fluid.

We spoke to Toyota in California and reported the problem. We also spoke to the local dealership and they will cover half the cost. For this type of problem - that is the LEAST they can do. Now that I know others have reported this same issue - I feel like they should fully cover it.

Coming from a family that owns all Toyota Hybrids - I'm pretty upset. No one in our family that owns a Prius has EVER had this problem.

This part is clearly defective and I don't care the cost of the darn part - my kids lives mean something and having working brakes when you live on a very large hill is mandatory.
#13 Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 PM
New TN User

Same problem - 2007 TCH ABS Accumulator

When the "Check VSC System" message came on, I took my 2007 TCH to the dealer where I bought the car. The diagnosis was a leak in the ABS accumulator and an estimate of $2700 to repair!!!! They said the part costs $2100. I was so stunned I couldn't speak! How can replacing a single part of the brake system cost 10% of the total original vehicle price?

So, I called Toyota Customer Care and they didn't care: you're out of warranty and out of luck. I wonder how common this problem is. If this causes the brake system to fail it seems like it would be a life-threatening failure. Does anyone track these kinds of problems?

The dealer's suggestion: see what you can get on trade-in for new Toyota.

I noticed some others got Toyota to pick up part of the repair cost. Doesn't sound like I'm going to be that fortunate. I couldn't be more disappointed in Toyota.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
JSB
#14 Old 07-28-2012, 12:41 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus_tx View Post
When the "Check VSC System" message came on, I took my 2007 TCH to the dealer where I bought the car. The diagnosis was a leak in the ABS accumulator and an estimate of $2700 to repair!!!! They said the part costs $2100. I was so stunned I couldn't speak! How can replacing a single part of the brake system cost 10% of the total original vehicle price?

So, I called Toyota Customer Care and they didn't care: you're out of warranty and out of luck. I wonder how common this problem is. If this causes the brake system to fail it seems like it would be a life-threatening failure. Does anyone track these kinds of problems?

The dealer's suggestion: see what you can get on trade-in for new Toyota.

I noticed some others got Toyota to pick up part of the repair cost. Doesn't sound like I'm going to be that fortunate. I couldn't be more disappointed in Toyota.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
JSB
Hey JSB

I had this very problem about 4 weeks ago with my 2007 TCH and I had the extended warranty on it but the car had 80K on it - so I was completely out of luck - even though most of the miles are highway and I had reported brake problems when my car was at 70K. If I knew exactly what was going on with the brakes I would have reported it earlier - for me I was getting a lot of pulsing even when I was just idling.

I was quoted $2995 for the repair work.

This is what we did and I'll tell you it wasn't easy. We got on the phone with our dealer and ultimately talked with the manager - a repair at this time at this expense and at this mileage should not be happening. Because we've always used the dealer for service (and really haven't had any repair) - they were willing to work with us. We also filed a complaint with Toyota in California (they will give you the number to report this particular part failure) - it was a 1-800 number. Until a sufficient amount of reports come in - this will not be covered by Toyota so I encourage you to do so.

Toyota in Round Rock was great and I can't help but say they worked with us and sat and explained exactly what the failure was. Basically you are losing the power assist to the braking system. You
won't lose breaks but it will be harder to break. The part is computerized so they explained how pricey it is..

We got our cost reduced to $1500 and I had them cover my rental car. Each dealer is capable of doing this - it's just a matter if they have the funds or they've used them.

Now the real catch - they will replace it with the exact same part and that warranty is only 1 year. We were not so happy with this as we believe this part is defective.

Well I hope this helps. You are right that this repair is a significant cost of the value of the car. I had these very same thoughts and in all honesty this is the costliest repair I've ever had on a car. I've thought about trading in the car because I still have the same part and I'm wondering if in another 75 thousand miles Ill be doing the same part replacement.

As it was explained to me - if Toyota chooses to cover the part replacement in the future - I need to actually own the car to get my money back.
#15 Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM
New TN User

Thanks swimmom. I'm in Austin also and my car is sitting at the same dealer. I agree Toyota in Round Rock has always been great to work with. This certainly isn't their fault and they're very sympathetic. This has been the best car I've ever owned up until now. I don't know what to do. I just can't afford this right now. I appreciate having your information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid