Why Bridestones on hybrids and Michelin on non-hybrids? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Why Bridestones on hybrids and Michelin on non-hybrids?

I'm convinced I want to upgrade my '08 Corolla to a '12 Camry hybrid. 109K miles on the Corolla, it's bulletproof, still feels tight and quiet as the day I bought it. I want to trade it before it starts giving me problems. Faithfully gets 30-33 mpg driving 50/50 city/highway.
Looking at dealer lots, Hybrid Camrys are shod with Bridgestone tires, rated at 280 treadwear. Non-hybrids come with Michelin Primacy's with 460 treadwear rating.

I do 30K miles per year, I had Bridgestones on a new '04 Outback, they were worn and dangerous way too soon.

So:

1. Why the major tire difference between Hybrid and ICE?
2. Are Toyota dealers likely to swap tires to make a sale?
3 Any experience with Michelins on hybrids? At replacement time there's a chance neither brand will be the replacement tires anyway. I'm kind of sold on whatever ConsumerReports rates the best.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Vivir el momento

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,516 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
1. Depends on what model tire you are specifically referring to under those brands.
2. Depends on the dealer. Some do some don't.
3. Michelin has sold many hybrid-specific tires to many happy owners.
#3 Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Camry Freak

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I can give some insight on having Michelins on my hybrid (2007).

Mine came with the crappy Bridgestones that are probably similar to the ones that come with 2012s. They are absolute garbage. They lasted about 26,000 miles before they needed to be replaced.

I replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXV4's. (Which were slightly cheaper than the Michelin Energys that came on some 2007-11 Camry hybrids) The MXV4's offered about 2 mpg more than the Bridgestones that came with the car originally.

In addition, the MXV4's were all around much better tires. They offered a much better ride, better handling in all conditions- (significantly better in snow), and were much, MUCH quieter.

I put the Michelins on at 26,000 miles. The car currently has about 77,000 miles- and look as though they could go another 20,000 before needing replacement.

I'm not sure if your specific dealer would do the trade- but it couldn't hurt to try. You'll be much happier with the Michelins. I don't think the Michelin Energy tires last quiet as long as the MXV4s, but they are definitely a much better choice over the Bridgestones.
#4 Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM
New TN User

I drove a Hybrid with Michelin's last week. Only one I've ever seen, however. I bought mine yesterday and tried to get Michelin's, but they simply didn't have them. Best I could do was use it to get an additional $300 on my trade--which is perfectly valid since I know the Bridgestone's will wear out sooner.
#5 Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM
New TN User

USA 2009 Hybrid w/Michelins

My 2009 Hybrid came with Michelin Energy tires. I have 45,000 miles on the car presently. Most of the miles are interstate. They look like that will last for another 15-20,000 miles
#6 Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
2008 Camry Hybrid

Don't buy tires or anything for that matter simply based on what the potheads at ConsumerReports say. That's an organization of seniors with too much time on their hands, throwing uninformed opinions at everything that can be bought.

Ask some INFORMED people like the members here.

Anyway, I'd take the Michelins over the Bridgestones. They wear our slower and offer better grip.

If you're into aftermarket tires, Toyo Versado is your choice. Even better grip than the Michelin's and even quieter.

2009 Infiniti G37x
Past Rides:
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2011 Lexus IS350 AWD
2007 Toyota Camry SE V6
#7 Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazovets View Post
Don't buy tires or anything for that matter simply based on what the potheads at ConsumerReports say. That's an organization of seniors with too much time on their hands, throwing uninformed opinions at everything that can be bought.

Ask some INFORMED people like the members here.

Anyway, I'd take the Michelins over the Bridgestones. They wear our slower and offer better grip.

If you're into aftermarket tires, Toyo Versado is your choice. Even better grip than the Michelin's and even quieter.

I wasn't looking for an editorial on ConsumerReports by INFORMED people like you, but I got one anyway...

INFORM me please:
"Anyway, I'd take the Michelins over the Bridgestones. They wear our slower and offer better grip." They wear OUR WHAT slower???"

Thanks for INFORMING this unINFORMED non-pothead senior! I value INFORMED comments like yours...
#8 Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
2008 Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlflick View Post
I wasn't looking for an editorial on ConsumerReports by INFORMED people like you, but I got one anyway...

INFORM me please:
"Anyway, I'd take the Michelins over the Bridgestones. They wear our slower and offer better grip." They wear OUR WHAT slower???"

Thanks for INFORMING this unINFORMED non-pothead senior! I value INFORMED comments like yours...
I'm delighted to see that you spent the time to point out a simple typo rather than focus on the true intent of my post. The "t" and "r" keys on a standard US keyboard are side by side. Bravo!

2009 Infiniti G37x
Past Rides:
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2011 Lexus IS350 AWD
2007 Toyota Camry SE V6
#9 Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, sorry, it was petty...

I was not in a good mood when replying, sorry; I'm the newbie. ConsumerReports has been good to me, I guess I took it personally. I realize they've got their shortcomings.

We're even on the typo. "Bridestones?" Embarrassing...

Reason I posted is I'm primarily looking for the reason Toyota is shipping the Bridgestones on TCHs and Michelins on ICEs.

With less treadwear I'd guess they're softer, I'd think that would offer more resistance and lower mileage?

It's not a dealbreaker, just a 'why are they doing that.'

When I bought my Outback last year the whole line came on Continentals. 4s, 6s, base model and luxos.

Thanks.
#10 Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
2008 Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlflick View Post
I was not in a good mood when replying, sorry; I'm the newbie. ConsumerReports has been good to me, I guess I took it personally. I realize they've got their shortcomings.

We're even on the typo. "Bridestones?" Embarrassing...

Reason I posted is I'm primarily looking for the reason Toyota is shipping the Bridgestones on TCHs and Michelins on ICEs.

With less treadwear I'd guess they're softer, I'd think that would offer more resistance and lower mileage?

It's not a dealbreaker, just a 'why are they doing that.'

When I bought my Outback last year the whole line came on Continentals. 4s, 6s, base model and luxos.

Thanks.
It's alright. I tend not to read much into material from Consumer's Digest and the like simply because I think that they review any product on the planet from toasters to cars to TVs. So I figure their opinion can't be that informed - a sort of jack of all trades.

As to why cars come with different tires - I've encountered this problem with a lot of cars, regardless of their brand and cars. It really seems like the tires a car ships with are always horrendous.

I am guessing that a volume discount between tire manufacturers and car makers is what dictates the tire selection most.

In the case of the Camry, apparently the Tire Rack says both the Bridgestone and Michelin tires are low resistance. Yet the Michelins have nearly double the wear rating...

The price for one OEM size (16") Bridgestone tire is $121 while the Michelin is $162. Perhaps Toyota equipped the Hybrids with the cheaper tires to help offset the higher overall price of the vehicle?

2009 Infiniti G37x
Past Rides:
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2011 Lexus IS350 AWD
2007 Toyota Camry SE V6
#11 Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazovets View Post
It's alright. I tend not to read much into material from Consumer's Digest and the like simply because I think that they review any product on the planet from toasters to cars to TVs. So I figure their opinion can't be that informed - a sort of jack of all trades.

As to why cars come with different tires - I've encountered this problem with a lot of cars, regardless of their brand and cars. It really seems like the tires a car ships with are always horrendous.

I am guessing that a volume discount between tire manufacturers and car makers is what dictates the tire selection most.

In the case of the Camry, apparently the Tire Rack says both the Bridgestone and Michelin tires are low resistance. Yet the Michelins have nearly double the wear rating...

The price for one OEM size (16") Bridgestone tire is $121 while the Michelin is $162. Perhaps Toyota equipped the Hybrids with the cheaper tires to help offset the higher overall price of the vehicle?

I think you may have answered my question in your last statement. Also, I visited another dealer and among the new Camrys there were also Firestone and Goodyear. Now I'm convinced its economics and not some engineering or physics decision.

Good old bottom line.

In defense of OEM tires though, my '08 Corolla came with Goodyear Integrity bottom-feeders, and at 45,000 they were still great in the rain. They would hydroplane of course, but launch traction was better than it should have been. The 1.8 is kind of torquey (and overall perfect IMO), and the Goodyears were surprising.

Thanks for the followup,
John
#12 Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
New TN User

I was told that basically it is done by bid...as Toyota builds them, they bid on tires a certain quantity at a time. They have a certain set of qualifications. Whichever manufacturer comes back with the lowest price at any given time wins. Primarily that has been Bridgestone--but it does not have to be. There is no distinction between hybrids and non-hybrids in terms of the type of tire, except that the qualifications may be different. As I said, I've seen a hybrid with Michelins.

At the dealership I bought mine, virtually every '12 Camry on the lot had Bridgestones, including the car I bought.
#13 Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Account canceled due to butthurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLetou View Post
As I said, I've seen a hybrid with Michelins.
I just bought a 2012 THC, picked it up 2-23-2012, and it has Michelin tires.
#14 Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Official TN Member

My 2012 TCH that was built on 1/25 has Bridgestones on them.

#15 Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
New TN User

I just bought a '12 Camry XLE Hybrid from Toyota of Nashua (NH) and it came with Michelin Primacy MXV4's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid