Toyota Nation Forum banner

Door Handle Proximity Keyless Entry Problems

32K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ukrkoz 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I have had some strange things happening with my driver and front passenger locks. Currently, when I try to unlock my drivers side by grabbing the handle to activate the proximity door handle keyless entry, there is no response. I have to unlock the door with my key. Note that my front passenger lock works. However, a week ago, my drivers side proximity door handle unlock WORKED, but my passenger lock did not respond to any unlocking functions of the car. Over probably 6 months this has alternated a few times. Sometimes in the same day, one way will work, and the other won't, or some weird combination of things working and not working. Sometimes everything works. Another example that has happened is that when I've grabbed my drivers side proximity door handle, instead of doing nothing at all, the car beeps 3 times, but nothing unlocks and I have to manual unlock the door. Also note, that when either of the locks are not working when I try to unlock the door, they will not lock either when I exit the car, I have to manual lock them. It's as if the lock does not work at that time, but again, it may start working in a few days or the next time I use the car.

I've asked the dealership but they want to charge like $85 just to diagnose it. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Just to rule out the easy stuff:

1. Do you have a second FOB you can try? What happens with the second FOB?
2. Depending on your answer to 1, change the battery in the FOB that's not working. Based on the symptoms you described, it does not sound 100% like it's the FOB battery, but it's easy and cheap enough to rule that out as a suspect.

#5 ·
Thank you for all your responses so far.

1. With my current situation (driver's FOB & lock does not respond to anything & passenger lock works) I just tried the passenger FOB and it worked. It unlocked the passenger side, but again, the driver side did not respond.

2. I didn't even know they had separate batteries. Is this a do it yourself project? However, wouldn't the lock still respond to regular unlocking? It currently does not respond to any type of unlocking (FOB, remote, or inside door unlock button).

I have a recollection reading that the hand touch on the door lock may not work if the handles have car wax on them. Seems like a long shot, but you may want to try removing the wax with a solvent if they have been waxed.
Interesting. I have never had my car waxed. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was going to say, I had similar problems when our FOB batteries got low. Another possibility if you just bought the car. Could be your having this problem in a certain area, could be interference from a nearby cell tower.
Car is about 5 years old bought directly from the dealer. Batteries have never been replaced (didn't know they had separate batteries). About the cell tower, the problem has been consistent in various locations so I don't think this is the issue.

#4 · (Edited)
I had similar problems when our FOB batteries got low. Another possibility if you just bought the car. Could be your having this problem in a certain area, could be interference from a nearby cell tower. I had this happen with my '07 TCH. Once parked at a Denny's. The drivers door was stubbon to auto open. Was a tall cell tower just behind the restaurant. Another was at a convenience store. Same thing happened. The next day I drove by and looked and saw another cell tower about a half block from the store.

#7 ·
Sorry, I thought FOB = the door handle with the proximity sensor. Now I realize you mean the key. I have replaced that battery before. I don't think that is the issue. I thought you meant the door handles have their own batteries. So it sounds like I still don't know what's going on.

#9 ·
you do not have to touch/grab handle for system to operate. simply place hand flat behind the handle - and it works fine. One finger doesn't, I tried. To make things more cute, if you stand close enough to a person that DOES NOT have key on self, and that person will placem say - her hand behind the handle - locks will unlock. So will trunk.

Anyhow.

That car is very sensitive to outside radiations, like from cell towers, radars, etc. It's even in manual. I'd be suspicious that you may have been hit by one of those beams. I know this from a DIY forum, as one of members had ghost garage door problem - door acting by itself. Then he realized that they built cell tower close by.

Mine is 07 too, manufactured in 06, and I had both batteries replaced. But mine showed "low battery" on display. I think, even basic models show warning. Replace batteries, sure, no big deal, but if problem persists - prolly have fobs and vehicle re-synchd by dealer. Better than getting stuck somewhere in sticks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.