How long will the Camry Battery last??? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How long will the Camry Battery last???

I'm looking to buy a 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid.
My question is I put around 30,000 miles per year on my car (25,000 mile just for work, 120 miles round trip to work and back)
I want to know how long will the battery last. Does the battery go bad with mileage or years? In 5 years I'll have over 150,000 miles on the car. Will I have to replace my battery every 4-5 years or will it last 10 years at 300,000 miles?
And how much money am I looking at to replace the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
It is hard to get facts. I believe Toyota is claiming they have never replaced a battery due to it being defective from old age. This includes the Prius, which I believe has been out nearly 10 years longer than the Camry. I believe battery cost is about $3000 plus installation.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
#3 Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Official TN Member

Hybrid-related components for hybrid vehicles are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles.

The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty.

Not sure how much for 2012 Camry Hybrid but cost of battery replacement would be around $2,299 for 2002-2009 Prius, according to what I've read.

#4 Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Official TN Member

Also, given the length of the battery warranty, even if a hybrid owner does have to replace the battery pack after 8 years/100,000 miles, the cost is comparable to the cost of a transmission, which would likely have failed in other cars before that point.

And overall hybrids have fewer other issues (according to Consumer Reports), which more makes up for any added battery cost.

On other greenhybrid car forum, if you search the forum, there are many hybrid owners with high mileage and a few 2007 TCH with mileage up to 153,000 miles and running with no problems, battery included.

But then again, just because you hear some one live to 100 years does not mean that you should expect to live that long.

HTH

Last edited by Oz_TCH; 08-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.
#5 Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
2012 TCH XLE

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post
I'm looking to buy a 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid.
My question is I put around 30,000 miles per year on my car (25,000 mile just for work, 120 miles round trip to work and back)
I want to know how long will the battery last. Does the battery go bad with mileage or years? In 5 years I'll have over 150,000 miles on the car. Will I have to replace my battery every 4-5 years or will it last 10 years at 300,000 miles?
And how much money am I looking at to replace the battery?
I don't recall anyone in the 'Camry' forms ever needing to replace their traction battery. I was just reading in the new September issue of Consumers Reports magazine. Their is a article on how to make your car last 200K miles. In the article it shows a husband and wife standing by their 2005 prius (320,000 miles). Saying, we've not had any problems with the battery pack or hybrid system on our car.

I know of two early prius that had traction battery work. One was one of the first prius traction batteries. A weak plug-in module needed replacing inside the main pack which cost a few hundred dollars. Toyota abandoned the plug-in packs in the traction battery to gain more amps. The other prius needed a full battery pack replacement due to a few weak cells in the pack. The tech that did the replacement told me the new traction battery cost $1500. Both these prius were just under 250,000 miles.

The '12 warranty book shows the hybrid system is guaranteed for 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The hybrid battery in California is guaranteed 100 months or 150,000 miles.

The standard warranty on the hybrid battery shows 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Panasonic Corp. manufactured the hybrid Camry packs from 2007 to 2011. The 2012 Camry hybrid packs are now made in America by Toyota's battery division. These new traction battery packs are a little lighter, including more amps and run cooler than it's predecessors.
#6 Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
2012 TCH XLE

I should mention some buy used traction batteries rather cheap from salvage yards. All the Camry traction batteries are 245 DC volts. Also saw were some found used traction batteries on eBay for $300 probably from front crashed cars.
#7 Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Official TN Member

It will more than likely last as long as you plan to own the car. Given history of HSD, you can just as easily ask how long the transmission or engine will last. Honda, it may be a valid question. Cracks me up how often this questions comes up, but you never hear of anyone replacing them.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid-Rear Spoiler, 6th gen SE wheels, 35% Tint
2014 Honda Accord Sport 6MT
#8 Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
Also, given the length of the battery warranty, even if a hybrid owner does have to replace the battery pack after 8 years/100,000 miles, the cost is comparable to the cost of a transmission, which would likely have failed in other cars before that point.

HTH

I've never had to replace my transmission on any of the cars I've owned and I put well over 200,000 miles on them, Some over 300,000 miles.
#9 Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by habu968 View Post
It will more than likely last as long as you plan to own the car. Given history of HSD, you can just as easily ask how long the transmission or engine will last. Honda, it may be a valid question. Cracks me up how often this questions comes up, but you never hear of anyone replacing them.

That's probably nobody puts miles on a hybrid like I will. Most hybrid drivers drive city miles.
The warranty is not much use to me, seeing mine will be gone in probably 3 years with the millage I put on the car. I would need a 8 year unlimited millage on mine.
The reason I ask is any device I owned that uses a rechargable battery needs a new battery after 3 year or so.
Example: New battery in my cowan video player lasts 12 hours, after 2 years, it lasts two hours before needing a recharge.
I don't want to spend $34,000 just to have a 3500 pound paperweight after 4 years.
I did find this though - http://www.re-involt.com/Prius_Battery-.html
I guess I will be the first tester of the battery for high millage drivers.

Last edited by scottvf; 08-07-2012 at 06:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottvf For This Useful Post:
WhiteSands (08-07-2012)
#10 Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 AM
2012 TCH XLE

Quote:
That's probably nobody puts miles on a hybrid like I will. Most hybrid drivers drive city miles.
The warranty is not much use to me, seeing mine will be gone in probably 3 years with the millage I put on the car. I would need a 8 year unlimited millage on mine.
The reason I ask is any device I owned that uses a rechargable battery needs a new battery after 3 year or so.
Example: New battery in my cowan video player lasts 12 hours, after 2 years, it lasts two hours before needing a recharge.
I don't want to spend $34,000 just to have a 3500 pound paperweight after 4 years.
Thanks for the Video. The corrosion with the removable modules may be why toyota dumped the plug-in module traction battery many years ago.
#11 Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
WhiteSands,
I noticed you got over 50mpg on the camry hybrid.
Since I'm getting one, I was wondering on how you got so good mpg. I would like to get that kind of mpg as well.
#12 Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 AM
rjp
New TN User

You won't be the first high mileage user. Priuschat is full of high mileage users. Lot's of taxi cabs already have 300-400k. And they keep buying more for cabs because the cost of ownership (total) is their major overhead cost. Another guy already has 100k on his 2012 Prius V he drives for work. He had almost 500k on his 2g prius before he sold for more room and a better ride.

The comparisons to consumer rechargeable batteries is flawed. First you have to dismiss any Nicad device as Nicad technology is flawed with memory effects. Second Toyota's systems maintain a high level on the HV battery at all times, even when they are "discharged" and have to be recharged by the engine. They don't allow a real full discharge. On a lead acid battery, full discharge several times kills the battery. Same would shorten the life of Toyota's traction battery if allowed to happen. That's why the EV only mode is so short.

In the end, even an occasional rare HV battery failure is economical since most hybrids go out of service due to the driver running into someone or something. Plenty of spares.

Link to Prius cabs
. Note that this article was written in 2008. If you like the car buy it. Or buy something else. Your choice.

rj

12 Prius V Model 3
08 Prius
02 Tundra (sold Nov 2011 at 220,000 - only normal maintenance)
01 Accord (sold Dec 2011 at 217,000 - one recall tranny and rad fan)

Last edited by rjp; 08-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.
#13 Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
You may be interested in this report on hybrids in taxi service. I would also stay away from a hybrid using LiIon batteries. I don't believe they are as reliable as the NiMH.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
#14 Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 PM
rjp
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
You may be interested in this report on hybrids in taxi service. I would also stay away from a hybrid using LiIon batteries. I don't believe they are as reliable as the NiMH.
There are some reports of the Nissan Leaf all electric car with Lithium batteries having early failures. Nissan was under pressure from their management to get that car out before GM or Toyota and the buyers or their warranty costs could suffer. Obviously with no engine backup in the Leaf, Nissan had to push their batteries hard to get some kind of range which is still not great unless you are just a intercity commuter that has another car for distance driving.

rj

12 Prius V Model 3
08 Prius
02 Tundra (sold Nov 2011 at 220,000 - only normal maintenance)
01 Accord (sold Dec 2011 at 217,000 - one recall tranny and rad fan)
#15 Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Actually, you and I are in the same boat. I expect to have over 100k on mine in 3 years. In my mind, if I get 250k out of the battery, I will be willing to pay $1500-2000 to replace it if I have to. I went into this knowing I will be driving it a lot. But it does not worry me given years of history. The battery design is set up to be a life of the car item for most users, even us. Look at all the taxi fleets running them. I fully and truly expect an engine related issue before a battery one.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid-Rear Spoiler, 6th gen SE wheels, 35% Tint
2014 Honda Accord Sport 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid