Hard ride - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Australia Hard ride

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the hard ride in the Hybrid. Note I'm referring to the Australian version which may have a different suspension tune to the rest of the world.

I'm even tempted to see if the Camry Hybrid comes with temporary suspension blocks for transport from the factory which the dealer forgot to remove.

Anyone else notice this, or am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveoh View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the hard ride in the Hybrid. Note I'm referring to the Australian version which may have a different suspension tune to the rest of the world.
Yeah, the aus version has different tuned suspension. Harder ride to suit our conditions I prefer a harder ride myself so liked it. You might also want to check your tyre pressure.

P.S. Ah south aus... was there 2 weeks ago in mine. Can see why you want softer suspension with the road conditions there. Some absolutely terrible roads!
#3 Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Official TN Member

My car came with a hard ride. I let out about 3-4 lbs of air from the tires, and that made a very noticeable difference. I run cold TP of 32#

Dave - 2007 Sienna, 2012 Camry Hybrid
#4 Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where are Australia's Camrys assembled? You may get different running gear than we get in the USA. I pose this as a question ... I don't know whether Toyota builds Camrys to different standards in different locations.
#5 Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Toyota has an assembly plant in Australia, and they could very well be different. I have seen some evidence that suggests the 2012 TCH in Australia is still using the original 2007 version of the the planetary gear transaxle, while the US built version was updated in 2012.

I am in Canada, but the car was built in Kentucky, USA. The ride in my opinion is near perfect. I run my Michelin Primacy (V rating) tires at 38 psi cold. Perhaps different tires are used in Australia?

The only criticism I have is that the noise/harshness of the ride is somewhat road surface dependent. On new very smooth asphalt surfaces is is amazingly quiet and smooth. However, at least in Canada, some roads have what is called a seal coat applied. They put tar on the road, and follow that with a coating of crushed sharp rock. When it sets up the excess loose rock is brushed off. However, it leaves a very rough surface with is good for traction especially in winter. The down side is that this Camry seems very sensitive to it, and becomes very noisy, harsh, and even vibrates in places I can't find. My conclusion is that the tires are good, but the overall system lacks isolation from the tires when vibration is set up by the road.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Official TN Member

"in Canada, some roads have what is called a seal coat applied. They put tar on the road, and follow that with a coating of crushed sharp rock."

Down here we call that stuff "slag." I think it's something invented by the windshield replacement industry.
#7 Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
Toyota has an assembly plant in Australia, and they could very well be different. I have seen some evidence that suggests the 2012 TCH in Australia is still using the original 2007 version of the the planetary gear transaxle, while the US built version was updated in 2012.

I am in Canada, but the car was built in Kentucky, USA. The ride in my opinion is near perfect. I run my Michelin Primacy (V rating) tires at 38 psi cold. Perhaps different tires are used in Australia?
I haven't looked closely but the Michelins are used here (I presume same ones). The 2012 TCH uses the latest transaxle here. The main differences are in the suspension and steering which is tuned firmer here to begin with and of course being right hand drive. Although the steering seems to be just as sensitive here as there.

I've had a look - engine is in exactly same configuration. Also we don't get entune or any of the apps so there is a couple of minor differences in entertainment system.
#8 Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Official TN Member

Your TCH rides differently due to the steering wheel being on the right (wrong) side of the vehicle. Seriously they must have a different spring rate. If US owners want a slightly stiffer ride, I can only recommend bolting in a set of GR2's from KYB, as I did in my '08. What a difference!
#9 Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushleague View Post
Your TCH rides differently due to the steering wheel being on the right (wrong) side of the vehicle. Seriously they must have a different spring rate. If US owners want a slightly stiffer ride, I can only recommend bolting in a set of GR2's from KYB, as I did in my '08. What a difference!
Side the steering wheel is on makes no difference. Same module - just with the config mirrored. The suspension is specifically stiffer for here. They state it is for Aus conditions - I think people here just prefer a firmer ride. I do anyway.

You can have your left hand drives...
#10 Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM
New TN User

Here in Oz, the suspension is indeed locally tuned. Personally, I find it overly firm at low speeds. Every small imperfection in the road is felt. It absorbs the big bumps very well, however. The coarse chip roads you describe with various names are called normal roads here, and are usually rough and potholed as well.

2012 Camry comes in two models here, H and HL. H comes with Michelin Primacy LC 60 profile on 16 inch rims, and HL has Bridgestone Turanza 55 profile on 17 in rims. I have the Bridgestones, and will be changing to Michelin when the time comes in the hope of a better ride.

Steveoh, what tyres are you running? If the Michelin, changing won't help me, I guess.

Coolscan
#11 Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I see in this Australian Toyota Press Release Kit that the Australian built TCH has an Australian designed suspension system. Says it tuned to Australian roads and tastes??

Actually I was sure that this document gave transaxle maximum MG1 and MG2 rpms that indicated it was unchanged from 2011. Can't find it now, so perhaps it was a typo that has been corrected.

This Green Congress Review of the 2012 TCH American version indicates significant changes were made to the gear ratios and maximum speeds of MG2 in 2012.

Unfortunately Toyota is quite stingy with these technical specifics.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid

Last edited by Ron AKA; 01-14-2013 at 09:09 PM.
#12 Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
Actually I was sure that this document gave transaxle maximum MG1 and MG2 rpms that indicated it was unchanged from 2011. Can't find it now, so perhaps it was a typo that has been corrected.

This Green Congress Review of the 2012 TCH American version indicates significant changes were made to the gear ratios and maximum speeds of MG2 in 2012.

Unfortunately Toyota is quite stingy with these technical specifics.
Definitely changes in Aus model too. Our model received more power and better efficiency and the top speed matches the US one as well.
#13 Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post
Here in Oz, the suspension is indeed locally tuned. Personally, I find it overly firm at low speeds. Every small imperfection in the road is felt. It absorbs the big bumps very well, however. The coarse chip roads you describe with various names are called normal roads here, and are usually rough and potholed as well.

2012 Camry comes in two models here, H and HL. H comes with Michelin Primacy LC 60 profile on 16 inch rims, and HL has Bridgestone Turanza 55 profile on 17 in rims. I have the Bridgestones, and will be changing to Michelin when the time comes in the hope of a better ride.

Steveoh, what tyres are you running? If the Michelin, changing won't help me, I guess.

Coolscan
Camry H with the Michelins, so I wouldn't count on the ride improving. I'm not sure of what else to do, I love the car and the ride is the only niggle.
#14 Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM
New TN User

Thanks Stevoh, that is depressing. I posted about this on the Aus. Toyota Owners Club, Hybrid Camry forum after reading your post. May get some comments from other TCH owners there.
#15 Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
New TN User

the main thing I noted on my 2012 TCH XLS is that on smaller imperfections like a manhole cover and such, it really slams your backside, unlike earlier models of Camry's I've rented in the past, which were far more compliant to road imperfections. However in stark contrast at highway speeds or frankly anything above 40mph on a decent road the car is positively zen like. Smooth and controlled with no significant leaning. A far cry from a 2004 Avalon I once owned, which was just a glorified Buick. Also they have significantly hushed he cabin in this car to be sure. I love the way the driver and passenger door have this vault like "thunk" when you shut them, and the fit and finish on mine is above reproach.

2012 Bright White Camry Hybrid XLE, Tan Cloth Interior, Mud Flaps, ClearBra on the front end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid