Eco vs normal mode - test results - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Venzoid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
another test

More results for a truly amazing car. These results are for 17 commutes of 25 miles each alternating eco mode on and off (normal mode). Keep in mind we have had a very cool spring and only 5 times A/C was used.

Eco mode ON: FE 4.7L/100kms(50mpg) ave speed:57 km/hr

Normal mode: FE 4.7L/100kms (50mpg) ave spped: 62 km/hr

Ave temp for both modes was 17C.

So again I was surprised. Fuel efficiency was exactly the same in both modes. Yet normal mode was again faster by 5 km/hr even though I wasn't trying to go faster. Absolute best was with eco mode at an incredible 4.1L/100kms or 57mpg! Best for normal mode was 4.6 or a little better than 50mpg a couple times for normal mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kinda convinces me that ECO mode is unnecessary when neither heat nor AC is needed. Temperatures in NE Ohio have been very mild too. I haven't used ECO mode and have been very satisfied with mpg in the high 40s.

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with Tech Pkg. Magnetic Grey on Black.
#18 Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Venzoid

(Thread Starter)
New test results for eco mode versus normal mode. This time on a freeway 100km/hr (60mph) plus speed, for the month of August. It was a cool summer so a/c was only used for about 1/2 of the commutes. FE results were about the same as last time => only a 2 % difference. Not significant. Here are the numbers:

Eco mode on: FE 5.2L/100kms or 45.2mpg and ave speed 81kms/hr

Normal mode: FE 5.3L/100kms or 44.4mpg and ave speed 78.4kms/hr

I will do another test in the winter to see the effect of colder temps.

#19 Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Venzoid

(Thread Starter)
More results from the summer highway test. This time comparing the effects of a/c on each mode. While there was only a 2% difference in fuel econ FE between the different modes, there was a 5-7% difference within each mode if a/c was used or not. So the decision or need to put a/c on is more of a drag on FE than the decision as to wether or not to use eco mode or normal mode.

#20 Old 09-07-2013, 02:18 PM
2012 TCH XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
I can't find the link that has the graph but somewhere there is a graph of the actual throttle response vs accelerator pedal depression. Without ECO is is a straight line. With ECO it is a curved line. Half depression does not give you as much throttle as without ECO. However, as you depress further and further the ECO mode catches up until at full depression the result is exactly the same -- full throttle.
I agree with Ron's theory. To me when using the ECO the accelerator seems tapered. Softer at the first press of the accelerator from a red light to help improve the mpg. At speed press it 3/4 or full throttle and it's similar to having the ECO 'off' for max power.

I give the ECO button set to on, lots of credit for helping me achieve my high tank mpg readings. I pressed the ECO to on the day I drove my new TCH off the lot and it's been on ever since.
#21 Old 09-10-2013, 06:27 PM
New TN User

Turned Eco off a few days after buying it and I average 43 mpg. Coming from a prius I know how to ease on to the throttle and coast to a stop. This way I get to enjoy the 200 hp engine when I need it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#22 Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Venzoid

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actorguy1 View Post
Turned Eco off a few days after buying it and I average 43 mpg. Coming from a prius I know how to ease on to the throttle and coast to a stop. This way I get to enjoy the 200 hp engine when I need it.
Eco mode puts you into EV mode sooner, holds you in longer, encourages you to drive slower, robs you of available power, yet doesn't seem to improve gas mileage by more than a percent or two if that. This is very perplexing to me. Normal mode gives you more power and torque yet doesn't sacrifice fuel econ. Like someone else has said before on the topic, "it gives you a few extra cylinders with no penalty".

#23 Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venzoid View Post
Eco mode puts you into EV mode sooner, holds you in longer, encourages you to drive slower, robs you of available power
Huh? The full spectrum of power is not available in ECO mode? Source?

2014.5 XLE TCH
#24 Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Official TN Member

I don't think the ECO Mode matters much if you are not heavy with the brakes and gas to begin with. For those with little feel for the pedal, ECO mode helps reduce excessive acceleration (e.g. my wife). Like anything, you get used to driving it either way. One nice thing about ECO mode is it prevents the extreme spikes in fan speed when you use the auto temp control (which I don't that often).

#25 Old 09-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upatches View Post
i don't think the eco mode matters much if you are not heavy with the brakes and gas to begin with. For those with little feel for the pedal, eco mode helps reduce excessive acceleration. Like anything, you get used to driving it either way. One nice thing about eco mode is it prevents the extreme spikes in fan speed when you use the auto temp control.
+1

#26 Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 PM
2012 TCH XLE

ECO Button

All this talk about leaving the ECO button set to, OFF. With the ECO set to, ON your engine normally would stop running at red lights. Looks to me like by using the ECO feature over a tank of gas would add a couple mpg to your tank total.

I sat a a red light once with my '07 TCH with the ECO off. The engine idled while sitting at a long red light. I ask my wife watch the red light when it goes green. Meanwhile I watched the MPG readout. While sitting their at the light I saw the mpg drop .2 mpg,

Last edited by WhiteSands; 09-17-2013 at 01:09 PM.
#27 Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
All this talk about leaving the ECO button set to, OFF. With the ECO set to, ON your engine normally would stop running at red lights.
No, the engine turns off no matter what mode you are in. It would have been something else holding engine on (still warming up or heating system or low battery).

Haven't seen anything where it does anything else than change throttle response and air con mode.
#28 Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adprom View Post
No, the engine turns off no matter what mode you are in. It would have been something else holding engine on (still warming up or heating system or low battery).

Haven't seen anything where it does anything else than change throttle response and air con mode.
I thought this too, but today I did something that makes me wonder. After leaving home in normal, not-ECO mode, I drove ~3 miles and then got stopped at a red light. The car started out with ICE on. I think the ICE got warmed up. The car had gone into EV mode by itself somewhat before I got to the red light. The battery was down to about 4 bars. Anyway, whilst stopped at the red light, my display told me the car's engine was running and it was charging the battery. I hit the EV button, and the ICE immediately stopped.

I'm going to have to try this again. But I'm wondering if ECO will tolerate a lower battery charge?

Last edited by Nilnoc; 09-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.
#29 Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilnoc View Post
I thought this too, but today I did something that makes me wonder. After leaving home in normal, not-ECO mode, I drove ~3 miles and then got stopped at a red light. The car started out with ICE on. I think the ICE got warmed up. The car had gone into EV mode by itself somewhat before I got to the red light. The battery was down to about 4 bars. Anyway, whilst stopped at the red light, my display told me the car's engine was running and it was charging the battery. I hit the EV button, and the ICE immediately stopped.

I'm going to have to try this again. But I'm wondering if EV will tolerate a lower battery charge?
Yes it will. In addition, it will tolerate a lower coolant temp before turning the ICE on.

2013 Prius Plug-in Advanced
#30 Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilnoc View Post

I'm going to have to try this again. But I'm wondering if EV will tolerate a lower battery charge?
I'm confused. Did the subject change from ECO mode to EV mode, or did you mean ECO mode? EV mode (forced EV) would tolerate conditions that non-forced EV wouldn't, by definition, no?

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with tech pkg
Moulin Rouge/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid