Toyota Oil Change schedule in other countries? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid

Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $193650
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View dj2012tch's Photo Gallery
Toyota Oil Change schedule in other countries?

I was curious if other's know for sure the schedule for oil changes Toyota requires in other country's?
In the US it is at 10k.
I have read in Canada it is at 5k.
What do they call for in Australia, Japan, Mexico ect. ect.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $197200
View dave1812's Photo Gallery
I doubt the engine knows what country it's located in. seems the recommended intervals shouldn't vary, eh??
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Do you feel lucky?

Gameroom cash: $1002130950
Thanked 4,574 Times in 3,192 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View TrailDust's Photo Gallery
You're correct about the oil change interval being 5K (8K for kilometers) in Canada. Click here and then click on the Full Schedule tab at the top of the web page to view the full maintenance schedule for the 2012 Camry Hybrid from Toyota Canada. Only reason I can think of for the difference is the harsher, colder weather in Canada and the effect it has on engine and transmission systems.

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
TrailDust is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrailDust For This Useful Post:
dj2012tch (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $193650
View dj2012tch's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
You're correct about the oil change interval being 5K (8K for kilometers) in Canada. Click here and then click on the Full Schedule tab at the top of the web page to view the full maintenance schedule for the 2012 Camry Hybrid from Toyota Canada. Only reason I can think of for the difference is the harsher, colder weather in Canada and the effect it has on engine and transmission systems.
Thanks. I went and looked. What is a Maintenance Service at 4th service(20 thousand miles, 32000km), and does it include a oil change? Also, do all Canada Toyotas have the 0w20 full synthetic oil?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $548850
View Ron AKA's Photo Gallery
It looks to me as if Australia follows the standard service, severe service method. 15,000 km for standard, and half that for severe service. I think Europe may be similar.
dj2012tch (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $197200
View dave1812's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
So what about folks in Minnesota, US? they have harsh weather too.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Do you feel lucky?

Gameroom cash: $1002130950
Thanked 4,574 Times in 3,192 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View TrailDust's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2012tch View Post
Thanks. I went and looked. What is a Maintenance Service at 4th service(20 thousand miles, 32000km), and does it include a oil change? Also, do all Canada Toyotas have the 0w20 full synthetic oil?
That's the same as the Oil & Filter Service. On the service intervals where other work needs to be performed they used that term instead, why I don't know, but the interval for the oil change is correct. As for the synthetic oil I don't know, you'd have to call or email them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
So what about folks in Minnesota, US? they have harsh weather too.
Like I said, it was just a guess. I'm all ears if anyone has another suggestion.

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
TrailDust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
2012 TCH XLE

Gameroom cash: $427550
View WhiteSands's Photo Gallery
When I bought my '12 TCH the dealer put a small sticker in the upper left of my windshield requesting my next oil change at 3000 miles. I removed the sticker as I rather stay with the 5000 mile oil and filter changes.

I was thinking of California being a very strict state on pollution. I found that many in California are using the 3000 mile oil change maybe recommended buy the oil & lube shops. Lots of web sites are telling them not to change so often and start using the 5000 mile oil change.

Talking about Canada, I would think Toyota would recommend the 0W-20 synthetic oil as it helps during the coldest winter for easy engine starting.

I have used the Mobile One Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 oil for the last 6 years. Here are some very interesting facts about this and synthetic oil in general including the extreme operating temperatures of this oil.

Sorry, I could not get the web site to open once I pasted it here, so I copied the info instead.

SAE 0W-20

This oil has a weight of SAE 0W-20, meaning it has an SAE viscosity rating of 0 in cold temperatures and a rating of 20 at normal operating temperature.

Full Synthetic Oil

This oil is a full synthetic oil, meaning crude oil is not used in making it. Synthetic oil can be used in vehicle engines instead of motor oils refined from crude oil, and often provides superior mechanical performance over traditional motor oil, including increased gas mileage and reduced engine wear at extreme temperatures. Its complex method of production means it can often cost more than conventional motor oil.

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil Mobil is engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection and to offer improved fuel economy benefits in vehicles where SAE 0W-30 or 5W-30oil is recommended. This low friction, fully synthetic formula increases engine efficiency and offers the best fuel economy in the Mobil 1 line. Over the life of your vehicle, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy can save over $400 in fuel costs. Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy outperforms conventional oils and meets or exceeds the warranty requirements for many Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Chrysler vehicles. Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry standards, API SM/SL and CF. It is suitable for use in applications such as Chrysler MS-6395, Ford WSS-M2C930-A, and Ford WSS-M2C925-A. It rounds out a lineup of Mobil 1 products that are engineered to help keep your engine running like new. Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the industry's toughest standards in its class and outperforms all conventional oils. It offers exceptional performance under all operating conditions, pours at temperatures as low as -47 degree celsius and protects at oil temperatures as high as (205 degree celsius). Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy is especially suitable for extreme conditions where conventional oil often cannot perform.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 07-30-2013 at 07:54 AM.
WhiteSands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2012tch View Post
Also, do all Canada Toyotas have the 0w20 full synthetic oil?
Based on used oil analysis samples I've seen posted at Bob's the Oil Guy, yes the factory fill for the last few years has been 0W20 Toyota synthetic.
dj2012tch (07-30-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Venzoid

Gameroom cash: $151859
View venzoid's Photo Gallery
This is a curious topic. I've owned Toyota's (4cyl and 6s) for over a decade and they have all had the 8000km oil change freq with conventional oil. So when I moved to the synthetic oil Camry I thought the oil change freq would be doubled. No such luck. On the other hand, none have ever used any oil either so the engines were all in good shape.

The 0W20 oil is only full synthetic with no dino equivalent. As far as weather goes, we get a few days in the winter with -20C but not that many. I'm sure that many places in the US get much colder weather. What's the oil change freq for Alaska? In Canada, 80% of Canadians live within 200 miles of the US border... except for Ron. As far as severe weather goes, how does the 0W20 cope with 40C or +100F temps that the southwest got this summer? It seems to me that your driving habits are more important than the weather. Frequent cold starts and short trips are worse than any weather. The US cars appear to be the exception as far as oil change freq goes, not sure why.

Hey where's my fuelly tag?

venzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venzoid View Post
This is a curious topic. I've owned Toyota's (4cyl and 6s) for over a decade and they have all had the 8000km oil change freq with conventional oil. So when I moved to the synthetic oil Camry I thought the oil change freq would be doubled. No such luck. On the other hand, none have ever used any oil either so the engines were all in good shape.

The 0W20 oil is only full synthetic with no dino equivalent. As far as weather goes, we get a few days in the winter with -20C but not that many. I'm sure that many places in the US get much colder weather. What's the oil change freq for Alaska? In Canada, 80% of Canadians live within 200 miles of the US border... except for Ron. As far as severe weather goes, how does the 0W20 cope with 40C or +100F temps that the southwest got this summer? It seems to me that your driving habits are more important than the weather. Frequent cold starts and short trips are worse than any weather. The US cars appear to be the exception as far as oil change freq goes, not sure why.
I suspect if you dig deep enough there is likely some environmental reg or incentive driving the less frequent oil changes. That is why the North American market is using the lighter oil (higher fuel efficiency), compared to Europe.

No need to worry about high ambient temps with a water cooled engine. Air cooled is a different story. I use 10w40 in my bike, and some use 20w50.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Beer & steak slave

Gameroom cash: $932454
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View molson.david's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
It looks to me as if Australia follows the standard service, severe service method. 15,000 km for standard, and half that for severe service. I think Europe may be similar.
10K kilometers (6K miles) in Eastern Europe.
and they recommend 0-20 since this year, but 0-30, 5-30 and even 0-40 is acceptable.I also believe they use thicker oils in AU and AE.

Quote:
The US cars appear to be the exception as far as oil change freq goes, not sure why.
US gas is one of the cleanest in the world and very low on sulfur.

Last edited by molson.david; 07-31-2013 at 01:14 PM.
molson.david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View upatches's Photo Gallery
I thought we were moving to a system that sensed when the oil needed changing and was at least 10-k miles for a newer vehicle. That is what they told us with our 2012 Odyssey and it gives an oil percent remaining readout. Are we thinking that is just a simple mileage tracking system since last change that the dealer resets each time.

In these modern systems in normal climates sounds like 10-k is about right for changing synthetic oil.

upatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Beer & steak slave

Gameroom cash: $932454
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View molson.david's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by upatches View Post
In these modern systems in normal climates sounds like 10-k is about right for changing synthetic oil.
under normal conditions synthetic will easily last 15K miles. I've 10 years old test, they were doing oil analysis every 2-3k and M1 5-30 synthetic started failing below anti wear protection standards only after 17K miles.
BMW and Merc doing 15K intervals on their cars. 10K is very safe call.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $179150
View ToyotaHeng's Photo Gallery
Given the amount of highway driving I do and the fact that the engine is off part of the time on the hybrid, I have felt comfortable with 10K oil changes.

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid