Toyota Nation Forum banner

Deciding on hybrid vs i4

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  dborn 
#1 ·
I am sure I want to get an LE camry just not sure if it should be an i4 or a hybrid. I will be getting this car to drive in the Houston traffic (about 30 miles one way) to work 3-4 days a week. It will be a lot of freeway driving but I hear houston traffic can be rough during rush hour.

#2 ·
Sounds like 15k per year commuting plus regular driving. IMHO, it depends on final price of both vehicles you will buy.The TCH would be a great car for the commute, as you get better mileage the worse traffic is.
What is the price difference in the two Camry's you are considering?

#4 ·
A back of the envelope calculation shows that is about the difference( plus or minus) in 100k miles at $3.40 average gas cost.

How many miles will you own your next car?

Is gas going to stay down or shoot back up.

Just about a toss-up money wise.

Comes down to personal preference?

Are the features the same between the two cars. I "think" the hybrid has more options, if that is important in your decision.

Probably can't go wrong either way.

#5 ·
In addition to considering the cost differential/breakeven math, you might like some of the operational features of the hybrid, such as reduced overall driving noise when you are in hybrid operation and how the engine generally shuts off when your car is stopped at a light (or in traffic).
There's also less frequent visits to the gas station, which is worth a bit of time savings.

#7 ·
What are you driving now? Compare it's mileage rating to the Camry & Hybrid.

You said you are driving a lot of highway, but it depends mostly on your average speed.

If most your highway driving is 60mph+, then you will not see much difference between the 4 cyl and the Hybrid. Maybe 10-20%.

However, if you spend a lot of time in slow rush hour traffic, traveling at less than 40 mph, the Hybrid will get much better mileage, in the 50% or higher range.

#9 ·
Just some maintenance items to consider: 1) Brakes get very little wear since the regen braking does most of the braking. I have seen a few postings with original brakes over 100k. No serpentine belt, all pumps, A/C electric. Engine load reduced by electric drive. I'd estimate 20-30% since electric power supplements ICE and depending on your driving route, all electric drive does all the work at lower speeds up to sometimes 45mph in my experience. When I bought my 2012 XLE the negotiated difference between the ICE only and TCH was about 2k. At that difference I calculated about 3-4 years fuel savings payback. I'm easily going to achieve that, but more like 4 years if gas prices keep dropping. I love driving 3 weeks without filling up, and that's usually around 600 miles. I love it when my friends buy some econobox and start bragging about upper 30mpg. They cannot believe a midsize car that's actually comfortable and safe can break the 40mpg barrier. I drive 14 miles one way to work and run a lot of other attached trips for kids baseball and activities. My trips are usually in the 45-50 mph range but also have some 55-60mph & 65mph runs mixed in with a 35-40mph to and from highway mixed in as well. Very happy with the TCH I came from a 2005 TC ICE version and got maybe 28-30mph overall, now in the 40s, newer ICE Camry's much better. Great car either way.

#11 ·
We had a lot of recalls done on our 08 recently and the dealer had the car for a few days. They gave us a 2014 SE as a loaner. Our driving is primarily interstate driving without much traffic. The SE did as well as our hybrid over the days we had it. I was actually a little surprised. However, if you are encountering a lot of stop and go freeway traffic often, the hybrid will be a little better IMO. Not enough to offset the additional cost though, unless you own the car for a LONG time.

For those talking about the "power comparison", that is all relative as the regular Camry actually feels faster and it IS faster if you are maneuvering through traffic. The Hybrid is a "lead sled" in comparison. Especially in heavy traffic. As an example, if you get on the throttle hard in the TCH, lift the throttle and get into it hard again several times, the engine just revs and the car does not do much of anything. You have to wait for the revs to come down before you can properly accelerate again.

#12 ·
When I test drove the Camrys back in 2012, the V6 felt the peppiest, followed by the Hybrid, and the I4 was a distant third. There are things I don't like about the TCH's throttle response, such as a delay in power application which feels sort of like turbo lag. This is especially noticeable when trying to make a quick left against oncoming traffic. However, for most applications where power is needed, like merging onto an Interstate from an on-ramp or passing on a two-lane road, my TCH performs well.

#15 ·
If you put your foot in it and leave it there, the car will go. If you hit it hard, lift the throttle and get into it again a couple times, you are dead in the water and the lowly Camry LE will blow your doors off.

#18 ·
I had that happen to me once with our '09 TCH coming onto the freeway with heavy acceleration. Changed lanes and had a slower car cut in front of me. Let up on the accelerator to keep from hitting him, then changed into a faster lane and put my foot back into it. Didn't get the usual power surge and upset the faster traffic coming up behind me. After a second or two it recovered and off we went.
Really surprised me - but only happened once in six years so not a major problem.

Concerning the choice between an I4 or TCH - in my opinion the TCH wins hands down. Has nothing to do with which is less expensive to operate but I just love the technology.

#19 ·
Maybe the acceleration thing is particular to certain model years?
I haven't experienced any issues with my 2014.5 TCH. The pedals are just inputs to the computer that manages acceleration and braking. I'll see if I can replicate the acceleration scenario in a safe environment to see how my car behaves.

In any case, to the OP, test drive each version and form your own opinions about the drive quality of the cars you are considering.

#21 ·
My real world experience here in Las Vegas is max AC always You see what My Fuel economy is since new below. I researched it and found the same discussions, Check out the fuelly site. Look at economy of the I4. Just because it has HWY 35 mpg does not mean you always get it. They average @29. I have never had a tank at 29mpg. And my economy is below what others and EPA rate it for. Either way I figure any which way I am Getting @ 5mpg more than the I4. The power is fantastic. Great torque. I live in a mountain region and on the Highway heading to LA steep grades this car hold set speed on cruise control and I pass every one that is down shifting to lower gears. I have no issues passing traffic this car has more that adequate power. More than the I4 And the fuel savings will cover the difference in prices. I have no regrets and I see 5 mpg below EPA rating.

#22 ·
A few days ago I had to drive 85 miles to go see my heart doctor on a routine visit. Driving my '12 TCH XLE at 60 on cruise I monitored my mpg. I ended up with 48 average for the whole trip. We didn't need the AC as it was in the mid to upper 70's and sunny that day with almost no wind at all.

Apple, you mentioned the Houston traffic, this is where the hybrid excels, in stop and go traffic your engine will be shut off till you press the accelerator then it will take right off along side the other gas guzzler cars. AT 200 hp this TCH is no slouch on acceleration, it will amaze you.

Make sure to use a www.toptiergas.com for your TCH or gas powered vehicle to keep you injectors and sensors clean of deposits. Press Retailers when the sites opens to see the list of brands. Be sure to watch the video.

Here, use www.gasbuddy.com to find a top tier station that has repeatedly low prices over the year. Put you zip in the box and press, search.

whitesands

#25 ·
FWIW, I always drive in ECO mode, I find the accelerator way too sensitive in non-ECO mode, just not used to it I guess.

My best tanks were in the first few months of ownership. Now I don't see as good fuel economy anymore. Perhaps because I was breaking it in and was freshly off a Civic Hybrid (always driving it like a granny). Now I drive the TCH more "normal" even if I still avoid going above the speed limit when feasible.

Now my fuel economy numbers show an even worse "performance" since I mostly drive 6 miles to and from the train station every day. So even though I'm only filling up every month instead of every two weeks (so spending half the gas anually), my numbers look worse and now with my first winter of driving to the train station approaching, I'll probably get rid of my fuelly sig... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.