Toyota Nation Forum banner

frozen (stuck) battery connectors...

58K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  steve97 
#1 · (Edited)
...are driving me crazy.

OK, I went to clean the battery terminals and connectors this morning ('99 Camry LE, 4 cyl, auto) because they were SERIOUSLY corroded. So I cleaned as best I could with a stiff plastic bristle brush and a baking soda/water mixture. Things actually came pretty clean. Hoever I now have two problems.

#1 I was able to get the negative battery cable because it was a little loose, but the positve cable would not budge. I was able to loosen the nut that's supposed to keep the positive cable on, but it would not "open" no matter how far I undid the nut. I tried using neele-nose pliers to pry it open, but no luck. Plus the metal's so soft there it dosnt' stand up to much force so I didn't want to go ape on it.

#2 The negative terminal was loose, but the nut that lightens/loosens the connection is completely frozen to the bolt (the nut was actually so corroded I needed to use a different size head on the ratchet to try to turn it). So I can't tighten it (or loosen it) properly.

I realize that I probably have to replace the clamps and I'm due for a battery change soon too (the battery is the original), but I'd like to be able to secure the negative clamp better for the next few days and obviously I need to be able to remove the positive one if I'm going to get a new battery.

What's the best way to "unfreeze" these parts of the clamps. Can I use liquid wrench or some similar product? I'd have already used that, but my understanding of those type of things is that they're flamable, so I was leary of using them around the battery.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
for the problem getting the clamp off of the battery terminal you can try using a pair of channel lock type pliers and twist it off. Just grab ahold of it on the clamp side away fromthe cable and twist a little bit. IT will probably come off no problem.

For the nut and bolt on the other one. I think you can buy jsut hte nut and bolt at Autozone or somewhere like that. Get the old one out and jsut replace it unless the clamp itself is in really bad shape.

Also isnt the actual cable just bolted to the clamp. if so same thing go to autozone and get some new clamps, unbolt the cable and replace jsut the clamps. Most of them nowadays are not like the old ones where you had to replace the entire cable or cut the old clamp off and peel back the sheathing and crimp the new clamp on.

#3 ·
excellent...

I'll see what I can do. I assume that the clamp/cable bolt will also be corroded/frozen, so I'm interested in any info regarding the liquid wrench question I had. Good to know that I won't (probably) have to replace the cable though.

Thanks!

-Matt

#5 ·
In my experience the cable bolt does not seem to corrode nearly as much as the one that actually clamps the terminal on. You can try liquid wrench or PB blaster or anything like that. THe thing is if it is corroded as bad as you say it is there may be nothing that will help it to come loose.

#6 ·
There is a small tool made especially to pull stuck cables to the battery. Just go to Walmart and look for their display of batteries. Look for, or ask, for the terminal pullers. Less than $5 and save you all kinds of time. If you get a battery from them, the installation is free and you can save yourself $5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.