Question: How long do your front brakes last and what kind of pads do you have? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-10-2005, 04:25 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question: How long do your front brakes last and what kind of pads do you have?

I'm curious as to how long the average brake pads last on your Camerys and what kind of pads did you use? I have a '95 and I just found out that I have to replace after 6K miles.

Thanks to all who answer.

- Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Official TN Member

OEM 125,000 km's

A+
#3 Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Official TN Member

OEM and about 100,000 miles, but thats a lot of highway and not much stop-n-go.
#4 Old 11-10-2005, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
I'm curious as to how long the average brake pads last on your Camerys and what kind of pads did you use? I have a '95 and I just found out that I have to replace after 6K miles.

Thanks to all who answer.

- Mark

Do you have rear drum brakes? When was the last time those were adjusted/changed?

Are you using Ceramic or OE pads? If you're using cheap Organic pads then they will wear out pretty fast. I had over 40K miles of hard braking on my Akebono Ceramics and they not even halfway worn out.

The ratio of people to cake is too big. - Milton
#5 Old 11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Lives For The Curves

Not of much use to you, but my TRD pads lasted a little over a year (not sure on mileage), including autocrosses.

If torque actually won races, wouldn't we all be driving diesels?
#6 Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2Xrunner
Do you have rear drum brakes? When was the last time those were adjusted/changed?

Are you using Ceramic or OE pads? If you're using cheap Organic pads then they will wear out pretty fast. I had over 40K miles of hard braking on my Akebono Ceramics and they not even halfway worn out.
I'm not sure what type of pads were used. I had them put on at a Toyota Dealership. I assume that they used Toyota pads.

When I had the brakes done, they adjusted the rear brakes at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look into the Akebono pads you mentioned.

- Mark
#7 Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 PM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
It depends on how you drive, driving conditions, etc. If you race or do a lot of stop and go, you will wear them out faster than if you do a lot of highway cruising.

My OE pads on the Camry lasted about 32k miles and that car did a lot of city driving. My current pads are about 50% and they have 36k miles on them because I do a lot more highway cruising now. I have Hawk HPS metallic pads right now.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#8 Old 11-10-2005, 10:06 PM
New TN User

did you put the new pads on yourself?
#9 Old 11-11-2005, 09:42 AM
97 Camry

97 LE Manual

I have 183,000 km or 146,000 miles & front pads are original & about half worn. You need to learn how to install or how to drive!
#10 Old 11-11-2005, 09:49 AM
96 Camry LE 4cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nort0188
Not of much use to you, but my TRD pads lasted a little over a year (not sure on mileage), including autocrosses.
TRD pads? u might wanna consider another brand if they're lasting you one year. ofcourse unless you've put 120k+ miles on yr car
#11 Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinco
did you put the new pads on yourself?

No. They were done at a Toyota dealership.

- Mark
#12 Old 11-11-2005, 11:57 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee
I have 183,000 km or 146,000 miles & front pads are original & about half worn. You need to learn how to install or how to drive!
I drive like everyone else here in Southern CA. I don't stop at the last moment when coming to stop lights or signs.

- Mark
#13 Old 11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
TN Post Wh*re

kramer,

I have a 94 Camry XLE 4 cylinder with 4 wheel discs and antilock brakes. I got around 50,000 miles on the front OEM pads. I replaced them with Raybestos full ceramic pads. It's too early to tell how many miles I will get on those. I live in surburban Chicago so my driving should be somewhat similiar to your's. The reason I brought up 4 wheel discs is that my good friend is an ex-Toyota tech and mentioned to me that Toyota vehicles with 4 wheels discs have a different proportioning valve which puts a little more pressure on the rears to stop the car; that is more pressure on the rears as opposed to vehicles with front disc/rear drum brakes. That means you will get a little longer life out of the fronts and a little shorter life out of the rears. If your car has front disc/rear drums brakes, which I think it does, my guess is you should get around 40,000 miles out of a set of front OEM pads.

That said, I have read your other post and agree with what Cyorke told you. You have a problem somewhere if you only got 6,000 miles on this last set. Either a caliper piston is sticking or one or more of the slide pins in the caliper is(are) sticking and not allowing the caliper to move (release) after braking. This will leave one or more pads always putting some pressure on the rotor. This will wear the pads quickly. In my opinoin, it's time to have a serious discussion with the dealership that installed them as to what has caused the brakes to wear out so quickly. If you don't feel you are getting a satisfactory answer from them, I would call Toyota customer service at 800-331-4331 and discuss it with them.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Gerber; 11-11-2005 at 01:42 PM.
#14 Old 11-11-2005, 01:55 PM
drunken member

Depends on the style of driving, for me cheap pads last around 10k
#15 Old 11-11-2005, 10:39 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber
kramer,

I have a 94 Camry XLE 4 cylinder with 4 wheel discs and antilock brakes. I got around 50,000 miles on the front OEM pads. I replaced them with Raybestos full ceramic pads. It's too early to tell how many miles I will get on those. I live in surburban Chicago so my driving should be somewhat similiar to your's. The reason I brought up 4 wheel discs is that my good friend is an ex-Toyota tech and mentioned to me that Toyota vehicles with 4 wheels discs have a different proportioning valve which puts a little more pressure on the rears to stop the car; that is more pressure on the rears as opposed to vehicles with front disc/rear drum brakes. That means you will get a little longer life out of the fronts and a little shorter life out of the rears. If your car has front disc/rear drums brakes, which I think it does, my guess is you should get around 40,000 miles out of a set of front OEM pads.

That said, I have read your other post and agree with what Cyorke told you. You have a problem somewhere if you only got 6,000 miles on this last set. Either a caliper piston is sticking or one or more of the slide pins in the caliper is(are) sticking and not allowing the caliper to move (release) after braking. This will leave one or more pads always putting some pressure on the rotor. This will wear the pads quickly. In my opinoin, it's time to have a serious discussion with the dealership that installed them as to what has caused the brakes to wear out so quickly. If you don't feel you are getting a satisfactory answer from them, I would call Toyota customer service at 800-331-4331 and discuss it with them.

Good luck.

Mike
Mike,

Thanks.

I'm bringing in my car tomorrow morning for a new set of brakes. I ask to have the slide pins checked as well as any sticking.

- Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge