Toyota Nation Forum banner

Plastic (air deflector) piece behind bumper is in pieces

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  touringcamry 
#1 · (Edited)
Under the bumper and a bit under and forwards of the raidator of my Camry, there's a plastic piece that hangs down a bit. I don't knwo what it's called, but it looks like it would channel some air going under the car or through the bumper to the radiator.

Mine is currently in 3 pieces, but it's still fastened on there and I just noticed it today. I don't know how it broke, it just is.

Is it important to fix or replace this part or I can I just leave it cracked like that? I don't envission it affecting operation of the vehicle.

#2 ·
i ripped that thing off ages ago when it was half hanging down...i thot that thing was put there so you parked close to a curb i'd scratch that and notify you that you've gone far enough vs hitting the real bottom of your car...

Its not important if we're talking the same piece.

#3 · (Edited)
it not a big deal it is a mud gard. you dont need it. i dont have any thing under mine and it came with like 4 pieces to cover it. all that happens is you motor get dirty faster. you are in so cal so you dont have to worry about snow getting in to it. its realy no big deal.

ps if you look at my sig you can see right thru the mouth of my kit and see the light on the ground nothing there and has been that way for about 2 years. and you can see i drive in the dirt

#5 ·
Mine is missing too. Seems like some dumb person used the wrong size bolts and the last mechanic said he ripped it out cause all the bolts were messed up and frozen, besides the plastic was all shredded.

What its for it to clean airflow up as well as to stop rocks and debris getting at the radiator. Most debris tossed up by othr vehicles remain pretty close to the ground and the exposed radiator flying 8 inches above the ground - well you get the picture.

I am going to replace mine eventually.

#6 · (Edited)
warlock said:
it not a big deal it is a mud gard. you dont need it. i dont have any thing under mine and it came with like 4 pieces to cover it. all that happens is you motor get dirty faster. you are in so cal so you dont have to worry about snow getting in to it. its realy no big deal.
Uh...Everytime it rains, it floods. Seriously. All the roads here were constructed so they're lower than the dirt to the side...So the roads either flood or fill with mud when it rains. That plus there's not really any drainage, as in storm drains, to speak of.

I worry about mud more than snow. Plus I go off-roading in my Camry because most of the roads here are unpaved other than the main roads. Most parking lots are not much more than hard packed sand and gravel.

#8 ·
actually, word has it that at high speeds, the underbody plastic actually channels air away from the car, so tht it's more aerodynamic- I remember toysrme was talking about it before, and it made sense....and also about all the crap that comes off the road

#9 ·
warlock said:
where do you live? i drive allover cali all the time all times of the year. and lived in so. cal for 19 years of my life.
unless you take your car 4X4ing you should be fine in cali.
I live about 60 miles North East of Cabazon in a little town called 29 Palms.

It's in the southern Mojave Desert. When it rains, it floods and mud washes all over the roads. Many of the smaller roads here are not much more than hard pack sand and gravel which turns into mud when it rains.

I don't go 4x4ing, not in a Camry at least. It gets stuck too easy and ground clearance is fairly limited. I scrape the bottom on many of the driveways here because they are so steep - on stock suspension even. I have to be careful on many of the dirt lots that I have to drive on.

If the piece were of no use, Toyota probably would not have put it there so I imagine it does a bit more than protect the radiator. There a big metal plate under the radiator...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.