Rear Speaker Cover - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge

Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View sjoerd's Photo Gallery
Gen5 Rear Speaker Cover

I noticed on my 2003 camry that my rear speaker covers were cracked. A closer looked shows that the cover has totally disintergrated. When you touch it, it crumbels into little pieces. Looks like they used the wrong plastic. My 97 camry covers are still fine. Anybody else seen this happening. I checked the dealer but they said the cover is part of the hood panel and must be replace as one parts @ $450!!! Don't thing so. Any body knows a place were I can find some new speaker covers?

Thanks
sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
One with the force

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View johnnyzee's Photo Gallery
that doesnt sound right at all, plus your 2003 might still have warranty. go to scrapyard or ebay it.
johnnyzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View elhsgrad04's Photo Gallery
mine are still fine...

junkyard is great go to your local one... the advantage is we all drive a car that 1,000's of moms drive so there is one wrecked everyday
Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View xtravert91's Photo Gallery
Same Problem with my 05 CamryLE

I have the same problem, and posted this last night. Check out this web-site below, and see just how many other camry owners have noted the EXACT same problem, Toyota should replace this and not charge anyone, it is a factory defect if this many people report the same thing. Here is what I listed last night....and will be going to the dealership tomorrow to hopefully get it fixed.

I purchased a 2005 Camry LE one week ago today, while driving and listening to the radio, I noticed a funny noise from the speaker. Further investigation after stopping both speaker covers are cracked, I lightly touched one of them, and it crumpled a big hole. I have a 30 day 1000 mile warranty so hopefully the dealership (although not a Toyota Dealership) will honor and repair. I got online tonight and ran across this, see this website http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/toy...VEUN8TERT6NBKJ

there are about 70 other cases (11 pages) of this happening to other people. I printed it off to take to them. Can anyone help me out, this appears to be a recall issue with Toyota although they don't seem to be acknowleding it. Anyone else had these problems?? I can't believe the would not recall and repair this issue. It sounds like a bigger problem than most are reporting. Any help would be appreciated about what to do. Thanks
xtravert91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Naive Voice of Reason

View thapranksta's Photo Gallery
I had that problem too before I traded in the Camry. From this thread I started and from what you say, I would assume that this is a very common problem now. Here is a link to the thread I started.

Rear Speaker Grill Dry Rotted!!!!
thapranksta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View bob33572's Photo Gallery
Known problem

What a joke - I found that my 2003 Camry rear speaker covers had cracked and fallen into the speaker area. I took my car to my dealer (Courtesy Toyota, Brandon, FL) to change the oil and replace the speaker covers. Surprise - Oil change $29.95, rear speaker covers $650.00!

I was told it cost $650.00 because the entire rear deck must be replaced.

I declined the repair and did some research. The Internet proved that lots of people have the same problem. As of 3/1/08, there were 78 posts with the same problem at http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/toy...VEUN8TERT6NBKJ.

The problem is clear. 2003 - 2005 Camrys have rear speaker covers that simply distinegrate. You see a crack, touch the cover and find out quickly that the material has broken down (as it falls into the speaker area).

Toyota put out a technical service bulletin (BO019-07) out on 12/7/07 to just replace the speaker covers. I am going to call my dealer on Monday with this information and see what they say. (Others have posted that dealers want $25.00 for the covers and $200.00 in labor to replace them.)

This cost is ridiculous. $225.00 means Toyota dealers make money on the deal. Why should Toyota be rewarded (with profits) for replacing covers that are clearly defective. I'm willing to share the cost but where is their part of this repair.

I understand that Toyota did not expect this problem. OK, they made a bad choice in this material. I don't blame them for it but I am watching how they react as this people become aware of this problem via the Internet.

I purchased a Toyota because I hated the uncaring attitude of Detroit auto makers. Lets see how Toyota responds - will they step up or will they step back?

If you have the same problem, please call Toyota and tell them:
1. You know your problem is not an "isolated instance" (refer them to web site above)
2. You would like them to step up and take responsibility for the poor choice of material.
3. You will make sure all of your friends know what Toyota did about this - good or bad.

Toyota Customer Assistance Center: 1-800-331-4331
TSB(technical service bulletin): BO 019-07

Last edited by bob33572; 03-01-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: improve readablility
bob33572 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Naive Voice of Reason

View thapranksta's Photo Gallery
^All I can say to your post is.....yep, I couldn't agree more.
thapranksta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View charlienichols's Photo Gallery
Class Action

In response to your posting pertaining to the defects in the speaker covers of the Toyota Camry, a class action has recently been file complaining of this defect. Those of you who have posted comments are important witnesses and may be entitled to class benefits. We want anyone who has been affected by this defect to contact the Law Offices of Charles W. Nichols, P.C., 617 E. Lacy, Palestine, TX 75801, toll free 1-800-331-1649, direct line 903-729-5104, fax 903-729-0347. You may also contact us by email at: toyota_speaker_cover_classaction@yahoo.com.This email address that will be monitored daily and responded to. This is not a formal notice of a class action which will only come after the Court has certified the Complaint as a formal class action. We believe that the Toyota Corolla and the Tundra and the Lexus may also be affected by the defective speaker covers. This is not a lawyer advertisement, nor a solicitation for clients. This posting is investigative to find out how many cars have this defect and where the cars are and where the owners live, what are the cost of repairs and what is the loss of value to each car, and what are the various categories of class membership. All contacts will be kept confidential for use in this proceeding. Thank you and respectfully submitted,
Charles W. Nichols,
Attorney at Law
charlienichols is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
2004 Camry LE

Gameroom cash: $117915
View somick's Photo Gallery
I am glad you posted here.

I am sending you an email. What exact information do you need?

Sam
2010 Subaru Forester
somick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View Ready2Ride's Photo Gallery
I'm really surprised to have found that there is such an address/site regarding a potential class-action over this, but I tried to e-mail my complaint there, but it wasn't accepted.

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry, my fourth Camry ('84, '89, '00 and this one). None of the others had any materials-quality problems. A couple of years ago, I noticed how fragile and cracking the rear-deck speaker covers of this '03 were. I touched one and a huge hole developed in the middle as the plastic collapsed. The other one collapsed as well soon thereafter.

I got a high replacement cost quoted by the dealer, because they said that the entire rear deck would have to be replaced, so I decided to ignore it, even though it looks absolutely terrible and as if the car has not been taken care of. It had never occurred to me until this very day to check online to see if there was anything about others having the same problem. And lo and behold, I find out that some are investigating a class-action lawsuit!

I would definitely like to be a part of this, if one comes to pass. So I joined this forum simply to post this note. I will be glad to correspond with you, Mr. Nichols, if you need further info.

Rick in NC
Ready2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View Sharane's Photo Gallery
Back Speaker covers

The back speaker covers on my 2003 are also breaking apart! I haven't touched them, and was thinking of making covers for them. Then I decided to check on the internet to see what it would cost to replace them and found this forum! I'm very surprised to see so many others with the same issue! I hope Toyota does something about this defect! I'm going to call my dealer to see what they say?
Sharane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Go Gators

View LuvMyYota's Photo Gallery
I just called my local dealer Northtown Toyota, and they said they have never heard of this problem nor has anyone ever came in to get looked at. I mentioned the technical service bulletin that another poster above said was issued. Again, they said no recall has ever been done. My speaker covers are basically now just a pile of crumbs sitting on top of my speakers. Complete junk.
LuvMyYota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Go Gators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob33572 View Post
What a joke - I found that my 2003 Camry rear speaker covers had cracked and fallen into the speaker area. I took my car to my dealer (Courtesy Toyota, Brandon, FL) to change the oil and replace the speaker covers. Surprise - Oil change $29.95, rear speaker covers $650.00!

I was told it cost $650.00 because the entire rear deck must be replaced.

I declined the repair and did some research. The Internet proved that lots of people have the same problem. As of 3/1/08, there were 78 posts with the same problem at http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/toy...VEUN8TERT6NBKJ.

The problem is clear. 2003 - 2005 Camrys have rear speaker covers that simply distinegrate. You see a crack, touch the cover and find out quickly that the material has broken down (as it falls into the speaker area).

This cost is ridiculous. $225.00 means Toyota dealers make money on the deal. Why should Toyota be rewarded (with profits) for replacing covers that are clearly defective. I'm willing to share the cost but where is their part of this repair.

I understand that Toyota did not expect this problem. OK, they made a bad choice in this material. I don't blame them for it but I am watching how they react as this people become aware of this problem via the Internet.

I purchased a Toyota because I hated the uncaring attitude of Detroit auto makers. Lets see how Toyota responds - will they step up or will they step back?

If you have the same problem, please call Toyota and tell them:
1. You know your problem is not an "isolated instance" (refer them to web site above)
2. You would like them to step up and take responsibility for the poor choice of material.
3. You will make sure all of your friends know what Toyota did about this - good or bad.

Toyota Customer Assistance Center: 1-800-331-4331
TSB(technical service bulletin): BO 019-07

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Go Gators

I called the Toyota customer care line Bob gave and they said they could only document my concern. They're not any known recalls for the 04 camry and definitely not speakers concerns from Toyota. I gave them the TSB number BO 019-07 and they said that is just a memo from corporate toyota to local Toyota dealers about how to perform certain maintenance on a car. When i asked to be more specific she told me it states the process of how the speaker covers should be removed. She repeatedly stated that this TSB number isnt an admission of a faulty product or recall. Haha, they must really think we are a bunch of dumb schmucks. Also, she said they are aware of these online forums and that 100's could post a problem similar to mine. But, and i repeat But, Toyota will only possibly put out a recall on the gen 2 speaker problem if the owners call in themselves and report the issue. This means calling with your VIN # handy and prepared to give them your identification info so they can make sure that A) you are an actual person and B) the car is an actual toyota car verified by your VIN # you supply to them. If everyone that has this speaker problem will call and complain we can get this fixed at no cost to us.

That toyota care number is posted above my post on this thread. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE

Gameroom cash: $417900
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View TOYOPARTSMAN's Photo Gallery
The rear speaker grills do crack and crumble. My 05 has done the same thing. I am surprised to hear that the dealers in your area do not know of the fix. There is a speaker grill kit designed just for this situation.

Part#04007-521AA-B0 = Gray
Part#04007-521AA-E0 = Tan
These part numbers are in the bulletin that you mentioned and the rear package tray does not have to be replaced, just removed to fix it. That is where the time consuming part comes into play because the headliner has to be dropped to do it. The parts themselfs cost $20.00.
678-854-9601
TOYOPARTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TOYOPARTSMAN For This Useful Post:
LuvMyYota (11-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge