Mass Air Flow Sensor Location...??? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge

Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View cumminspuller's Photo Gallery
Mass Air Flow Sensor Location...???

My wifes 2002 Camry 1MZ-FE just started haveing probelms this morning. I had it towed to the dealer and the computer told them that the Mass AiR Flow Sensor was on its way out. So here is my question: Where is it located and is it easily accessible to me? I am guessing it has to be somewhere between the air filter and the throttle-body?

Jason
cumminspuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mad Scientist

Gameroom cash: $364951
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
View 2wickedtoyz's Photo Gallery
you got it. it's that thing that has the wires plugged into it. that needs to be replaced. but funy thing is that i have a 94 130kmiles and it's still running strong with the original.

btw what kind of problems was it having?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

The car above 40mph would shudder a bit like it was starving for something. Then die. My 94' is still running strong as well. I looked at an 2003 today to try and find the location of the sensor and there was a few things on that air duct between the filter housing and the throttle body. The first one closest to the filter housing on the 2003 that I looked at today had part# TN197400-2040? If that is the part number then it is the same location as our 94's right there up against the filter houseing. Any idea which one it was? Is it in the identical location as our 94' Camry's? Bad thing is, its at the dealer now and I am wondering what they are going to charge me for hooking up the computer if I do not want them to fix it? And how safe would it be for me to limp home with it?

Jason

Last edited by cumminspuller; 02-07-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mad Scientist

Gameroom cash: $364951
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
View 2wickedtoyz's Photo Gallery
i would have taken it to autozone they have an obd2 scanner. ask them to reset the batt and run the scan again in front of you
Old 02-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Either way I am probably still going to be out something for the dealer running the scan, correct? But can I limp to autozone and have them do what you suggested? Now that I think about it, since I will probably owe the dealer something for running the scan, I can just have them reset it, couldn't I?

Last edited by cumminspuller; 02-07-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moving Forward

View Cyorke's Photo Gallery
You can limp it home and you shouldnt ahve any major problems.

As for location it is where you are thinking it is. IT is normally closer to the air box than the throttle body. If you remove the tube from the airbox and look in you will be able to see it on the inside.

As for what the dealer is goig to charge you it will probably be anywhere from a half hour to hour worth of labor. When I was a tech that was normal. Half hour for jsut doing quick diagnostic type stuff an hour for more mechanical diagnosis type stuff, engine noises, tranny problems and things like that. If they try to get you for more than an hour worth of labor then you need to tell them to shove it and find out why they want more than that. It takes about 5 minutes to plug in the OBD2 and read codes.

PLEASE DO NOT GET RID OF THE OLD TN AS WE KNOW IT.
Cyorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Cool Guy

View Super Kaioken's Photo Gallery
the maf sensor on the 03 1MZ? i can tell you.....

btw, the stealership will probably charge you the fee of reading it through the scanner. which is like $40. when you could've done it free at autozone.........you can also order the maf sensor at autozone or discount auto parts.

my sister has her sensors running haywire too. She got the "engine running lean". 2 years ago the stealership did supposedly "change" or fix the sensor under warranty.......but it's broke again and now no warranty. =/

---------------------------
-Custom 2.5in Cat-back Exhaust + Borla Muffler + Weapon R Dragon Intake + TRD Rear Sway Bar + TRD Springs + TRD Front Strut Brace

Last edited by Super Kaioken; 02-07-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Super Kaioken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Now I know about autozone........First time I have run into anything like this. Dealership has the same price as autozone for the sensor. That is for a brand new one not an Cardone remanufactured. To many bad dealings with Cardone or A-1 Cardone. So do you think they will charge more than the $40 for reading the code if I ask them to clear it?

Jason
Old 02-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Cool Guy

View Super Kaioken's Photo Gallery
yeah, if you ask them to fix the code..........that's something else.

What they'll end up doing is charging you for the Maf sensor, then charge you for the labor to install it. Whereas, you could go to autozone, have them order it, and install it yourself.

They're gonna charge you $40 anyway for reading the code. just because your car is there with a check engine light. but you gott agive them the ok to fix it usually.

---------------------------
-Custom 2.5in Cat-back Exhaust + Borla Muffler + Weapon R Dragon Intake + TRD Rear Sway Bar + TRD Springs + TRD Front Strut Brace
Super Kaioken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Gary_602Z's Photo Gallery
Seems lke you are asking us questions that you should have asked the dealer first! If OEM is the same price as AZ then I would go OEM. Whether you install it or not is up to you. One thing to remember if the dealer installs it after diagnosing it and it doesn't fix the problem you have some recourse. Whereas if you put it in you probably do not have any!

Gary
Old 02-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moving Forward

One other thing to think about is most of the time if you ahve hte dealer install the part you dont pay much extra for the labor. THey may charge you jsut the half hour since it takes about ten minutes to put the MAF on or they may jsut charge you a full hour worth of labor. Gary makes a good point also. IF the MAF doesnt fix it then it is the dealerships responsibility to diagnose farther. If you do it yourself and it doesnt fix it then you are out the part plus you still need to figure out what is wrong.
Another thing is the codes that they pull out of the ECU are not the end all be all of diagnostics. Just because it says a certain part has failed or is not operating within specs sometimes there can be underlying factors as to why it is that way. THere could be another part that operates in conjunction with the MAF that has caused the MAF to malfunction. If that makes any sense.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

The reason I was asking so many questions was I only had a short conversation with the dealer yesterday. I did not have time yesterday to deal with them. That is the reason all of the questions to you all yesterday. So.......Now here is what happened today. Service advisor calls me and tells me "they tried cleaning the MAF sensor and it did not help." I said "I quess you did it for free because I did not authorize it........She said "I am sorry, I thought you did, ok no charge." Another tech look at it and there were two codes thrown (1st tech failed to tell advisor that there were two thrown). The second one was "#6 Cylinder Misfire." Resolution: Replace per TSB EG008-04. If you are within your 3/36 month warranty, no charge. Well we have 49K on the odometer. So the extended warranty covered it after my $100 deductible. Changed the coil, no more codes at all. Keeping it over night again, supposed to be low 30's in the morning and want to check it when it is cold.

Jason
Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moving Forward

Glad to hear you got it resolved or at least it sounds like it will be tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge