Brake light warning icon - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Brake light warning icon

I got a 94 camry. Anyways, about 3 months ago one of my brake light bulbs burned out on the drivers side. I changed it and it has been working for about 3 months. About 3 days ago I saw the brake light warning icon pop up on my dash. Right away I thought the second bulb on the passanger side must of burned out. I got home and when I checked out the back of the car the brake lights were working but the warning light on the dash was still lit up. I turned the car off and then back on and the light was still on the dash. I then opened the trunk and turned the car off. Turned it back on and the warning light on the dash was gone. Now, today same thing happened. The warning light on the dash poped up and I checked out my car from behind and this time the drivers side brake light went out, which is the one I changed 3 months ago. So I went ahead and turned the car off and on again and the warning light was still ON. I then opened the trunk again and the warning light on the dash was gone again and the tail light started to work again. So my question is...can this be a cheap bulp with bad contact(bought it at pep boys)...fuse problem?...or something else?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Moving Forward

is it the bulb in the actual trunk lid. IF so I would check the wiring where it comes out of the trunk and runs along he hinges for the trunk lid. they have a habit of getting pinched and wore out from all the opening nad closing. The wires should be wrapped in some kind of plastic sheath. Pullthe plastic back and make sure there are no broken or pinched wires. That is what it sounds like anyway since yousay it seems to work after you open the trunk lid.

Chris

PLEASE DO NOT GET RID OF THE OLD TN AS WE KNOW IT.
#3 Old 02-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
No...its actually the bulb in the left brake light not in the trunk lid.
Thanks
#4 Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 PM
EBR
New TN User

Canada

Another very comon problem with Camrys is the wiring harness that runs along the left (drivers side) trunk hingge arm. The wires will break inside the wire loom. All the lights on the trunk it self may still work though. This is because the current is feeding back through other circuits. Anyways lift the trunk and follow this harness till it meets the carpet trim peice, open up the loom and fix the wires. When I do this repair I always fix any wires that arnt broken yet also. I also add about 5-6 inches of wire to the harness so it will flex easier.
Good luck

Toyota Tech 11 years and counting...In the trade 18 years.

Current ride...02 Echo
Future ride...Idea scrapped...Selling all the parts I collected
#5 Old 02-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Banning is an art.

^ EBR, you're a Toyota tech? welcome, welcome!

Definitely check the pinched wired, I fixed mine years ago, and helped no less than 50 people here fix theirs. Do a search on this, and you'll come up with 50+ results.
#6 Old 02-20-2006, 05:27 PM
EBR
New TN User

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak
^ EBR, you're a Toyota tech? welcome, welcome!

Definitely check the pinched wired, I fixed mine years ago, and helped no less than 50 people here fix theirs. Do a search on this, and you'll come up with 50+ results.
Yep Hopefully for another few years at least....If you have anu questions PM me and I will try to help. Although I dont check in at this sight regularly(hopefully every other day though).
If I can help I will do my best

Toyota Tech 11 years and counting...In the trade 18 years.

Current ride...02 Echo
Future ride...Idea scrapped...Selling all the parts I collected
#7 Old 02-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I checked on the wiring you guys talking about...it seems to have enough slack...I didn't see any pinching happening to the wiring. Are those wires for the center brake light only or for all the brake lights?
#8 Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
any more advice? i checked the wiring that goes to the middle brake and it seems to be in good condition..no pinching or twisting on the wiring...seems to have enough slack. its just weird how as soon as I open the trunk and close it and then turn my car back on and the warning light on the dash is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge