Turbo: MAP sensor VS. MAF sensor 3sgte - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-26-2006, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Turbo: MAP sensor VS. MAF sensor 3sgte

I just tried purchasing a 3sgte MAP sensor Part# 84420-17030 and instead received a 3sgte MAF sensor Part# 22250-74220. Is there any difference? Can I still use the MAF? I plan on running really high boost so I guess I can't use it. I thought I read somewhere that the MAP sensor read up to 34psi? I'm heading to ATL in 30mins so I have no time to research more
Thanks

FOR SALE:|| Gen 3 & Gen 4 Performance Part-out!
MR2: 436whp-354lb/tq!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Grenaded piston

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No, you can't use the MAF (mass air flow).

Your engine uses a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor.

"Skoolin' the unlearned!"
#3 Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Lex Zues!

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
nope, 2 different styles. You need the map, and i personally like the map over maf.

Sold ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysk8forlife
supercharger whine>girlfriend whine
#4 Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
First if you are gonna run 34 psi on a Camry and dont know the difference between a MAF and a MAP sensor then you lose. Turboing a Camry requires that you know your shit. You need to be hands on and need to understand what you are doing before you even run moderate boost. You are looking at forged pistons, nice rings, forged rods, stronger headgasket, and probably all new seals as well at a minimum just to even think about running 34+ psi. Then the tranny would need to be built, a clutch that can hold that much would need to be found I mean we are talking upwards of 400 hp here you gotta think man. Also driveshafts and then the exhaust and a turbo big enough to make that much boost, can you say turbo lag? also probably a air to water intercooler or just take the front bumper off cause thats how much room you will need for an intercooler to support that kind of boost. No disrespect but you gotta think it all through first. But for a mild setup that will net you reliable power any 3 sgte map sensor from a celicagt4 or mr2 should plug right in and work provided you run bigger injectors and some sort of fuel management.

Home Page: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/506928/1
5S-FE Turbocharged @8psi with 5-speed auto to manual swap
#5 Old 02-27-2006, 07:31 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am aware of what they stand for, just didn't know what our Camry's used. Yes, I've found a clutch (sprung) one for our cars that handle 500lbs of torque, but I don't think I've seen one that handles much more than that, forgot the brand... Camryman, I am aware of all of that and already had paid out money for all forged internals, pistons, rods, camshafts, 3sgte head gasket that is metal and will be buying the seal kit for the 5sfe too. As for the intercooler, I don't think one that big is necessary. Especially keeping the system cool with a performance radiator, I know of a almost direct drop one that is 3X thick that is almost the same size that'll do. I HAVE read all those other things already. Just wasn't sure if I couldn't use the MAF just because if was in fact off of a 3sgTe. I won't be running anywhere near 34psi neither. That's all
Thanks

edit: I plan on running full standalone w/ 800-1000cc injectors. I haven't picked out the specs on the turbo yet

Last edited by RichieRichJP; 02-27-2006 at 07:42 PM.
#6 Old 02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
The Other White Meat

if you have a full standalone it doesnt matter what you get (heck, get a nissan z32 to work if you really wanted to).

the reason ppl get the 2bar map sensors is so the stock ecu doesnt fuel cut at high boost.

125 front wheel horsepower with major retard issues between 4500-5200RPM -
OD switched off, even when not in 3rd results in major power loss/rpm drop.
#7 Old 02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichJP
I thought I read somewhere that the MAP sensor read up to 34psi?
I think your question has already been answered... but... A MAP sensor and a MAF (actually AFM, in this case) are totally different sensors.

A MAP sensor that can read to "34psi" is a 2.5 bar MAP sensor - which means it can sense pressure from absolute zero pressure to 1.5 bar above ambient (14.7psi*2.5 is about 36). Most modern turbo cars have 2.5 bar sensors...

BTW, your goal of 450-500hp is a long way off... probably at least $20k off, with hook-ups and a lot of knowledge sprinkled in. Good luck.

-Charlie

03 WRX Wagon 5spd
89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
88 Camry Alltrac LE 5spd - blown motor
Previous: 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX
Camry Parts FS
#8 Old 02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
New TN User

well on this note... would u need to do any thing to your stock ecu to make it read a 2 bar map sensor? or will it freak out and not know what to do?

>93 camry Le 5s-Fe
Custom Magnaflow Dual Tip cat-back
>86 Celica GT-S (3S-GTE on the way)
#9 Old 02-28-2006, 05:01 PM
3s-gte in a Camry?!?

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-yota
well on this note... would u need to do any thing to your stock ecu to make it read a 2 bar map sensor? or will it freak out and not know what to do?
Its at this point where you read the sticky at the top of the forum and find the answer there...

-Charlie

03 WRX Wagon 5spd
89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
88 Camry Alltrac LE 5spd - blown motor
Previous: 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX
Camry Parts FS
#10 Old 02-28-2006, 05:40 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
20K?? No way, I've already figured out all the parts I need and it comes significatly under $20K. I've dropped a good $3K on the motor already and another $2K coming within a month. Soon enough, I'll be buying all the other components for the turbo and a COMPLETE auto 2 manual swap. I've bought all the most expensive parts (excessing $350) already excluding the fuel injectors ($700 MAX), Turbo ($1300), intercooler and the exception of the LSD and and tranny stuff (If I remember correctly)...
Thank you for the info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge