Camry window fell down - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-25-2003, 03:01 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Camry window fell down

HI,
Thanks in advance,
I shut my back door and the window fell down. I taped it up and took it to a shop, and I'm informed that the motor and assembly would have to be replaced, for the tune of $300.00. Help, Is there anyway to fix this gals window? Besides replacing the motor and all. The window is fine, and the motor is fine.

Jael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2003, 03:20 AM
TN Pussy Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
hmmm...?

if you take off the trim, and if everything works allright, shouldn't you be able to just pretty much reassemble everything yourself?

I dunno....just guessing here....

HaHa

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
#3 Old 01-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Music nerd?

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Jael from San Diego...I wonder how many Jael's there are down here...hmm...

Anyway...if the door fell, it can probably be assumed that the bolts/screws holding it in place messed up somehow...you'd probably have to remove the door panel and check the screws. If the motor is still working, and all the parts of the window are fine (including where it bolts up to the motor), then you could probably just reassemble it...

Tell me if you need me to type out how to take off the door panel or whatever...I'd do it right now, but I'm kinda lazy

Good luck
#4 Old 01-25-2003, 02:00 PM
confrontations of image

My driver's side window fell down once, when I tried to close them up. Turns out that the window's driver cable went kaput! <-- that might be your problem. With my window, the motor was okay too, as well as the window.
I think the cost of a new driver cable is something like...$100. those things don't usually break down.

Good luck fixing it. It's expensive- probably like $100 in labor just to get the dealer or whoever to tear apart and reassemble the door trim.

But, why did the people who inspected your window say that your motor and assembly needed replacing, if you say that both are fine?

#39 Goalie for Baylor Ice Hockey Team

"life for him was an adventure, perilous indeed, but men are not made for safe havens."-Edith Hamilton

Visit:
www.emdef.org
|>Keep electronic music in our clubs<|
#5 Old 01-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Official TN Member

just go to a junkyard and pick up a few spare parts and fix it for yourself for cheap
#6 Old 01-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Official TN Member

When i had my gen 3 the same thing happen because a plastic cable guide busted off the end of the motor assembly. Thats y you would need a whole new one even if the motor still worked.
#7 Old 01-25-2003, 07:20 PM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Im in the same situation as you Jael. I was told by my family mechanic that the whole assembly would need to be replaced for $300(parts only). He told me that if I got used parts it would cost $200. So for now, he just did somethng to the window to keep it up.
#8 Old 01-27-2003, 01:07 PM
New TN User

Dude, take the trim of the door and disassemble it, once the trim is off everything will become clear, you see i had this problem just last week. Some plastic in the whole mechanism broke. I sure as hell am not gonna pay anything to make a rear window go up and down. Jam the window up in its tracks and then put a big ass screw through the top hole where the metal/plastic rail was, get you a couple of plastic nuts and put em on the screw so that the window is sittin on plastic. The hardest part is getting the trim off.
#9 Old 01-28-2003, 11:09 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Camry window

Thanks for the input for fixing the window. We took the door panel off and found the problem in the wire, had some kinks in it. I believe its the wire thats attached to motor? So I need the whole motor and assemble. Junk yards hear I come. Does anyone live in San Diego, CA. What junk yard would you send me to???? :o

Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep
#10 Old 01-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Phi
Whine Connoisseur

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
try
http://www.taprecycling.com/
or
http://car-part.com/
#11 Old 01-28-2003, 11:19 PM
my name isn't really Bob

the one down by the river near that other place, ya know, next to that big thing

#12 Old 01-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Music nerd?

www.car-part.com works great, like Phi said.

I'm in San Diego, but I only have a general working knowledge, i.e., dunno where any junkyards are :oops:
#13 Old 04-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Official TN Member

Well, the window on the front passenger side door is stuck on my gen 3. Fortunately it's in the up position. How do you guys know if the problem is the motor or the cable/wire? I press the button for the window and nothing happens either from the passenger door or the driver control. I don't hear any sound or nothing. I had to replace the motor on the driver's side about a year ago, but when that went you heard it. You could also still hear the motor run when you pressed the button even if the window didn't move. It makes me think that its a wire issue, what do you guys think?

Thanks

I love the sound of 6000 RPMs
#14 Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Official TN PimP

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
i still have the problem, my parts are prolly coming in this week, my Regulator cable snapped offa the plastic piece on the Metal frame that hellps slide the window up and down, so i went to the dealership they wanted 300 for it, i went to a autobody and they wanted 172, and i went on ebay, the shit is 55$, so i ordered it from ebay, its like a 20 min install, i suggest u try that, and get a new Family mechanic, that dudes rippn u off, 300$ my ass, tell him to go on ebay, if u need help post here ill come back to see wat u want...go on ebay search for Camry Regulator
u get the regulator and the motor with it, nice shit

Blah
#15 Old 04-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawgz
i still have the problem, my parts are prolly coming in this week, my Regulator cable snapped offa the plastic piece on the Metal frame that hellps slide the window up and down, so i went to the dealership they wanted 300 for it, i went to a autobody and they wanted 172, and i went on ebay, the shit is 55$, so i ordered it from ebay, its like a 20 min install, i suggest u try that, and get a new Family mechanic, that dudes rippn u off, 300$ my ass, tell him to go on ebay, if u need help post here ill come back to see wat u want...go on ebay search for Camry Regulator
u get the regulator and the motor with it, nice shit
Yeah, it's kinda of expensive, My wife paid $300 to have the driver side fixed at the dealership, this was before my awakening. Anyway I checked ebay for that part. I found a couple, the only thing that worries me is opening up the door trim. I don't want to f@*k it up, since I've never done it before. How difficult is that? are they any tools that would make it easier. Shit If I have the door trim open I might as well change my speakers too

Thanks

I love the sound of 6000 RPMs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge