Toyota Nation Forum banner

400,000 miles

32K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  JoeCase 
#1 ·
I am brand new to this forum. Never actually been in a forum.

I will turn 400,000 miles very shortly on my '88 Camry wagon. I have owned the car for just over seven years and when I bought it, it had 146,000 miles. I have never touched the transmission or even taken off the valve cover (although I need to the gasket is leaking).

I know that this is a very high amount of miles. But I would like to know how high? How does it compare to others out there with no replacement engine or tranny?

Just wondering!

Thank You!

#2 ·
That is awesome. I sold my Toyota only at 300k miles... U r close to half a million.

GM/Ford/European garbage can't even dream of this, unless they change a million parts every few months.

#4 ·
jenxter said:

I will turn 400,000 miles very shortly on my '88 Camry wagon. I have owned the car for just over seven years and when I bought it, it had 146,000 miles. I have never touched the transmission or even taken off the valve cover (although I need to the gasket is leaking).

I know that this is a very high amount of miles. But I would like to know how high? How does it compare to others out there with no replacement engine or tranny?

Just wondering!

Thank You!
Wow. When you say you never touched the transmission, you must have changed the Tranny fluid on it.

Any way, can you give us some details how want you do? What type of oil you use, regular maintenance intervals? How do you drive your car, etc?
You must do a lot of highway miles if you bought it at 146K mile seven years ago and now its at 400K miles.

#5 ·
you would never get that with a ford or gm product. ford= Fix Or Repair Dayle or Found On Road Dead:lol: :lol:. You must really keep up on maintenance with that automobile. What kind of oil do you use? I would like to put the oil you use in my 2005 LE and see if i get even close to 400,000 miles. That is amazing man.

#9 ·
that is the second highest i have ever heard of. i recently heard about a person in canada turn her kilometers over she had just reached 1,000,000 kilometers which is 1/2 million or like 600,000 miles. somewhere along that line. but anyways, congrats on the accomplishment. make sure you take care of that baby and get to that 500,000 mark:clap:

#12 ·
Yes, I have changed the tranny fluid. Once. I am not very good at keeping up maintenence on the tranny. I change the oil about every 4,000 miles. I go a little longer because they are nearly all highway miles. I have always used Castrol 10W30. I drive about 130 miles nearly everyday to work and back. Car still runs great. Like I mentioned before, I do need to change the valve cover gasket because it is starting to leak quite a bit. It needs a new muffler but otherwise still runs perfect. Gets anywhere from 28 to 32 miles per gallon depending on weather and driving conditions. It is getting a lot of rust though.

Thanks!

#13 ·
Just googled 400,000 mile Camry since my 2002 is now at 395,000 with only 3 sets of plugs, oil changes every 7500 miles and only 1 transmission oil change. I'm on my 2nd timing belt only because people scared me at about 200,000. Just curious, do these cars ever wear out? I'm the original owner and it runs as good today as it did in 2001 when I bought it.

#15 ·
That's good to hear that mine isn't the only one with that many miles. I just got my 98 camry a few months ago and it has 407838 miles. Now granted, it don't run the greatest but i have replaced timing belt, water pump, plugs, valve cover gasket and a oil change. Am waiting on wires and coil packs to be delivered. Runs great tho with just a slight loss of power at the moment. Toyota makes such good vehicles.

#20 ·

Just wondering!

Thank You!

#24 ·
My 2007 Camry Hybrid is on the brink of 405,000 miles. I bought the car new in 2006 right when the first Camry Hybrids came out. The car has been fantastic. I have been good about doing oil changes every 5K miles and keep up on regular maintenance. It is amazing how few repairs the car has needed. I just replaced the catalytic converter today, but It is 15 years old, so no big deal. I'm hoping to get to 500K.

#25 ·

Just wondering!

Thank You!
Congrats!!! "Never touched the transmission" - does this mean no fluid change?

#27 ·
My 08 SE V6 only has 51K on it....o_Oo_O

Gettin' kind of peeved, though, because it keeps experiencing cosmetic problems caused by me -- case in point: Backing out of my garage the other day, my passenger side mirror hit the stucco on the wall surrounding the garage door (because my wife's Altima was so damn close next to me), and this caused a scrape/chip (I had already fucked this mirror up in the past, but my wife kind of fixed it with some touch up paint application). Now I have to see if I can use compound on it or if a claim needs to be put in so I can get a new mirror...:mad::mad::mad: