Oil filter price increase and life span - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-26-2006, 08:35 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Oil filter price increase and life span

I have a 04 camry LE I4 with 35K miles. I put in Mobile One Synthetic 15K miles guaranteed oil with OEM filter (the long one, not the short one).

I don't know if OEM filter can last as long as 15K miles. How long does the filter last? If it can't last as long, it means I need to change filters without the oil. Is it possible to change the filter without draining out the oil first?

I went to the dealer yesterday and he wanted $9 for the filter that cost $4 one year ago. Anybody else has the same experience?

Here's a thread that gives you free pennzoil platinum synthetic oil.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=634827

Last edited by diamente; 07-26-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2006, 08:41 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I googled online and searched for OEM parts. OEM:part without the toyota brand but are the same. It's only $2.29.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...EPIsubcategory[961],Oil%20Filter,partGroup,20

GENUINE NIPPON Part # 90915YZZA1A
Oil Filter #90915YZZA1
#3 Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Suggestion

If you are going for the 15k interval also pick up a Mobil 1 filter for $10. I run the same oil on my car but change the oil and filter every 10k.

2009 Kluger V6 AWD Sport/Debadged/30% tint/V-LED LPF/White Night RLS
#4 Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Gen 4 XLE v6

look for coupon pricing's. In the summer i usually stock on filters. But then again i relpace my mobil1 every 3K miles (not mobil1 extended performance oil). To me its a cheap maint (esp since i do it DIY).

Desi Toyota Dude Here!!!
#5 Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Toyota Parts since 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamente
I went to the dealer yesterday and he wanted $9 for the filter that cost $4 one year ago. Anybody else has the same experience?

The filters have not gone up in cost in quite a while, but I think you bought the $4 filter when they had a sale. That's a real good price. At $9, they are hosing you big time, but hey, you live in LA! Shop around. BTW, even if you use 15k Mobil 1, you will put your powertrain warranty in jeopardy if you can't prove you've changed the oil in 5k intervals. Toyota's opinion on synthetics is that its OK to use them as long as they are changed at the intervals recommended in the maintenance manuals and that would be 5k. You've got 5yr/60k powetrain warranty, so don't blow it by going to 15k oil change intervals.

05 Highlander V6 AWD
170K miles young
07 Camry SE V6 SOLD!!
TRD Dual Exhaust & Air Filter
#6 Old 07-27-2006, 06:45 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCammer
BTW, even if you use 15k Mobil 1, you will put your powertrain warranty in jeopardy if you can't prove you've changed the oil in 5k intervals. Toyota's opinion on synthetics is that its OK to use them as long as they are changed at the intervals recommended in the maintenance manuals and that would be 5k. You've got 5yr/60k powetrain warranty, so don't blow it by going to 15k oil change intervals.
I was going to point out the same thing, but you probably could do 7500 mile intervals because that would put you on the regular maintenance interval instead of the severe interval.

BTW, I use Napa Gold filters because that's what I can find out here. They go for about $5 each from Napa. If you do choose to do 15k intervals, you may want to change the filter halfway through that interval. Since the oil change interval is supposed to be 7500 miles, the filter may not have been designed to be in use for twice that amount.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#7 Old 07-27-2006, 11:34 PM
One with the force

Quote:
I don't know if OEM filter can last as long as 15K miles. How long does the filter last? If it can't last as long, it means I need to change filters without the oil. Is it possible to change the filter without draining out the oil first?
To me, the answer is NO. I know they make all sorts of claims on the box of every product to get you to buy their product, experience has made me skeptical, especially since we are talking about a little can full of pleated paper that is the only thing protecting your engine from dirt and resultant wear.

Yes, there's no reason you can't just change the filter, add make-up oil and leave the oil in longer. When Mobil 1 first came out in late 70's, i read an article about it in Popular Science magazine. And one of the people they talked to was an engineer who tested it on his own car. He left the same fill of Mobil 1 in his Cadillac for 100,000 miles and just changed the filter every 5,000. At the end of the test he had his engine torn apart and all the parts measured for wear. The result, according to this engineer (who admittedly might have been biased and lying through his teeth for all i know!) is that the engine showed hardly any wear, parts still within new car specs and good for another 100k at least.

So yeah, why not? The oil will stand up to it.
#8 Old 07-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I changed my highlander oil every 4 months (3x a year) regardless of mileage but am sure it would not exceed 15K a year. Mobil 1 Synthetic and purolator filter. I know its overkill but the way I see it, its still less than $100 a year on oil and filter and the peace of mind.

kamrhee

---------------------------
1998 Camry LE 5s-fe (Stock)
2002 Toyota Highlander 1mz-fe (Stock)

My other car is a Bianchi
#9 Old 07-28-2006, 01:24 AM
TN Pussy Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
I wouldn't keep the stock filter in for 15K miles....but then again, I wouldn't leave ANY oil in my car for over 10K kilometers, especially if you drive the car hard and if it's also summer or you live in a hot climate.....heat will wear down any oil

HaHa

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
#10 Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 AM
mixed bag 'o vehicles

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
a quick story.

my co-worker was one of many traveling salesmen... er, salespeople... and was given a new car to drive every 36k miles. even though they (him and other salespeople) got reimbursed for oil changes, they had to go on their own time to get them done so they literally never went. he said that out of the 4 or 5 cars he used, he never once changed the factory oil/filter.

#11 Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Gen 4 XLE v6

talking of stories: there was an old lady with 94 corolla that never went in for an oil change at all or any service for that matter. In 1999-2000 when she gave the car to her grandson, they realized the reason for leaking motor was a bad maint on it (this was back in the c3racing.com days). A little tune up here and there and last i heard the dude never had any problems. People these days....

Desi Toyota Dude Here!!!
#12 Old 07-28-2006, 09:58 PM
One with the force

Quote:
motor was a bad maint on it (this was back in the c3racing.com days). A little tune up here and there and last i heard the dude never had any problems. People these days....
I'd be curious to know the mileage of this car. Letting a car sit can be worse than driving it if done too long.
#13 Old 07-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Official TN Member

It was a Ford engineer, and the car was a Lincoln.
#14 Old 07-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Official TN Member

http://trdsparks.com I buy 10 packs at a time and save quite a bit of money.
#15 Old 08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
thanks everybody.

thanks everybody.

I called the dealer www.capitaltoyota.com in chattanooga if you are curious. yeah I live in Chattanooga now instead of LA. the price is $4.99 for the long filter instead of the $9 someone quoted me 2 weeks ago. I think what happened was the guy didn't know how to scan the price so he typed it into this computer. I, of course, wouldn't buy it for $9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge