1993 Camry Transmission Filter and Fluid - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1993 Camry Transmission Filter and Fluid

Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to change the transmission fluid and filter on a 1993 toyota camry? I've own this for a good while and have never change the fluids before. Just wondering how trying it's going to be. The engine is a 2.0 transmission is automatic.

Thanks for your help!

CamryDriver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
More messy then hard. Haynes Manual is a big help.

04 Highlander 01 4Runner 00 Camry 90 Chev S10
#3 Old 02-27-2007, 12:23 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks AlotaWatts!!!

I think I bought the manual a while back and have it in my garage. I'll look it up when I get home.

Thanks again!!!
#4 Old 02-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Quasi-Evil Monkey

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
3rd Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryDriver
Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to change the transmission fluid and filter on a 1993 toyota camry? I've own this for a good while and have never change the fluids before. Just wondering how trying it's going to be. The engine is a 2.0 transmission is automatic.

Thanks for your help!

CamryDriver.
Like mentioned above, it's more messy than anything. Just make sure that 1) You get a good seal on the pan gasket and 2) You refill the tranny to the correct amount. If you've got a manual (Haynes, Chilton, Toyota) you've got what you need to explain it to you.

Oh btw, unless you've had a swap of sorts, you should have a 2.2 liter engine if you have a 93 camry.

Current Ride(s): 08 Pontiac G8, 02 Mitsubishi Lancer, 94 GMC Sierra
Former Ride(s): 93 Camry SE V6 5-Speed , 95 Camry DX 4-cyl
#5 Old 02-27-2007, 03:20 PM
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think I bought the manual a while back and have it in my garage. I'll look it up when I get home.

Thanks again!!!
You can download a factory manual at the top of this forum.
#6 Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
USA Hey Mike

Hey RenMike,

The auto parts dealers is telling me that this model of Camry came with 2 different types of Transmissions. Can you tell me which is the more common? Do you think the manual will tell me by reading the vin number? I believe this still has the original engine and tranny.
#7 Old 02-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Quasi-Evil Monkey

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
3rd Generation

Quote:
Hey RenMike,

The auto parts dealers is telling me that this model of Camry came with 2 different types of Transmissions. Can you tell me which is the more common? Do you think the manual will tell me by reading the vin number? I believe this still has the original engine and tranny.
Should be an A140 if it's an automatic, I do not know what the model of the manual tranny is. The only engine options I'm aware of on a US-market Camry during 92-96 was either the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder or the 3.0 liter v6.

If in fact you have a 2.0 liter engine, I would suspect it came from either a previous generation Camry/Celica or a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Camry, and if that is the case I don't have the foggiest if they used a different Transmission. I know that for the make/model/year you mentioned above, AZ only offers one type of automatic transmission filter. If anything, you can get the kit and count the holes on the gasket and see if it matches the bolts on the tranny pan.

Current Ride(s): 08 Pontiac G8, 02 Mitsubishi Lancer, 94 GMC Sierra
Former Ride(s): 93 Camry SE V6 5-Speed , 95 Camry DX 4-cyl
#8 Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 PM
One with the force

The transmission probably has a drain plug. I take the lazy way and just drain it like the oil and leave the pan alone. It may have a gauze filter, or just a metal strainer, im not sure which but i know mine 2002 has a strainer. I've never seen a clogged strainer yet, i think the trans would be half dead before that would happen, and then cleaning is too late anyways. The key is to change the fluid every 20,000 - 30,000 and the trans should last you a long long time unless it gets beat on by the driver(s).
#9 Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
USA RenMike, you hit the nail on the head bud!

You were absolutely right when you said the Tranny was an A140. First of all I want to thank everyone who gave their expert advice. I completeled the transmission fuild change with no problems, well maybe one. For some reason there were 3 metal magnetic squares inside the transmission pan. During cleaning, they all came loose so I reposition them the best that I could. Once I was completed, I took her for a test spin and she drove like Lela Ali right before her boxing match......a champ!

Again, Thanks ALL!!!

CamryDriver
#10 Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Dave's

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You may want to search for pics of just where those magnets go. Put them in the right spots next change as misplacement can cause problems or so I've been told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge