check engine light on 2001 Camry - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge

Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View jsun_14's Photo Gallery
check engine light on 2001 Camry

Bear with me on this, I am new to this whole forum business. I have a 2001 Camry LE which has a "check engine" light that has been a running problem going on 2 years. The diagnostic scan code egr code is reading EGR PO401 the carbon has been cleaned from relevant pipes & the egr modulator and the valve and both the valve and modulaor have been replaced. The light is back on yet again, same code, no solution. The mechanic wants to run more tests from a-z, which I read to mean more cash down the drain. I am out $500+ so far. Any suggestions? I have another appointment for the car on Monday, but am reluctant to spend another penny, but it won't pass inspection with that code. The other question is, doesn't the warranty cover this aspect of the cars performance at 59,000 miles?
jsun_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
With the exception of the catalytic converter and computer, the typically federal required warranty on emissions items is 36M/36K. Your state may require longer a warranty period. Your manual or manual warranty supplement should have these details.

This code is pretty common, due a Google search on “P0401 Camry”

Other trouble areas could be:

Open or short in VSV system (this valve turns the EGR valve on/off depending on engine and driving conditions)

Disconnected vacuum or EGR hose (the EGR valve is operated by engine vacuum)

Manifold Air Pressure sensor

The modulator regulates how much the EGR valve opens based on engine load. The VSV (valve) turns the EGR system on/off based on engine (vacuum to the valve) and driving conditions and is controlled by the computer. Example: the valve is closed when the engine is at idle speed or coolant it too cold. Engine manifold vacuum operates the EGR valve.

Is this a Toyota dealer? The troubleshooting procedures for this code are very specific, plus they should have their Toyota scan tool.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Reply to Toyomoho on "check engine light 2001 Camry"

Toyomoho, thanks for the suggestions. I had not taken the car to the dealer since the first check engine light cost $80 just to go on the machine and ended up costing over $200 for a part that had nothing to do with the drivability of the car but would have prohibited it from passing PA emissions.

The garage the car has been going to for routine repairs had contacted the Toyota factory for advise and was told that with this code, only the valve or the modulator could be the answer.

I had advised the garage that the light seemed to come on at the same point within my drive home from work and suggested that perhaps there was a connection with the fact that it often occurred right after the car had been jostled after crossing an unavoidable bump across a bridge. Perhaps that would tie in with the short in the VSV system or the disconnected vacuum or hose. I will pursue these ideas. Thanks.

jsun_14

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
With the exception of the catalytic converter and computer, the typically federal required warranty on emissions items is 36M/36K. Your state may require longer a warranty period. Your manual or manual warranty supplement should have these details.

This code is pretty common, due a Google search on “P0401 Camry”

Other trouble areas could be:

Open or short in VSV system (this valve turns the EGR valve on/off depending on engine and driving conditions)

Disconnected vacuum or EGR hose (the EGR valve is operated by engine vacuum)

Manifold Air Pressure sensor

The modulator regulates how much the EGR valve opens based on engine load. The VSV (valve) turns the EGR system on/off based on engine (vacuum to the valve) and driving conditions and is controlled by the computer. Example: the valve is closed when the engine is at idle speed or coolant it too cold. Engine manifold vacuum operates the EGR valve.

Is this a Toyota dealer? The troubleshooting procedures for this code are very specific, plus they should have their Toyota scan tool.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View solidg's Photo Gallery
any progress?
curious?
solidg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

check engine light on 2001 Camry

Solidg, no changes. I called several local dealerships to get a price on the part, and was quoted $75 for the part with an estimated 1/2 hour of work. This information came from the parts guy. When I talked to the service department, it became 1 hour to more likely, 1.5 hours of work at $75/hour. Right now, I am enjoying driving around with my own personal night light. The car runs normally except for the light. I am not feeling pressure right now to do anything further, at least not until October when it will need inspected.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View anoopk.iitr's Photo Gallery
Toyota Camry 2001 - Check Engine Light is ON

Hi,
I have bought an used car (Toyota Camry 2001) from Hendrick Honda in Charlotte last week. On the second day of driving (not even 200 miles driven) the check engine light came up...on friday night at 2:00 AM - I was scared that the engine will stop and I will be stuck in the middle of outskirts of city but luckily engine did not stop and I could reach home safely after stopping at a gas station to check.
I do not know anything technical about cars and esp toyota as I am driving for the first time.
I went to the dealer Hendric Honda, I had bought the car "As Is" and he had not given any warranty (like 1 month 1000 miles etc) but luckily the sales person said he will ask service guys to look into this.
I gave the car to them 3 days ago and today is 4th day - everyday he kept saying that the light is not on and mechanics are on it to see if teh light comes up.
He reported that light once came and went back again. He alsi said while refurbishing the Catalytic Converter was changed (before selling) and now he is changing again. I don't have an idea whether he is putting new or from another used car or buying from some local mechanic - just gusses - don't know anything. every day I call him he says the same thing that the car is being checked.
I doubt if there is som eother major problem in car.
Today (4th day) he said come they have checked and fixed the car and take it.
Can you suggest what to do in this condition?

Last edited by anoopk.iitr; 04-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.
anoopk.iitr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge