How often do you change your battery? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Darkside Cut Me!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I went with the costco battery, but in warm climates, I think that you get a battery with less cranking amps and cold cranking amps (CCA) rating.

My Costco #8 was 800 CA and 640 CCA.

Standard is a group 35 battery.
See if you can get a 24F, for cold climates before looking into the spiral grid batteries.

2004 RX330 Sport
2003 Cam I4 XLE
2000 Cam XLE Gold Edition V6
1998 CamCE I4 Super Commuter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Since we are on the topic of car batteries. Just make sure you pickup a battery that hasn't been sitting on the store shelf for x months

Quote:

There's a manufacturer's shipping code on almost every automobile battery. Since the life you'll get from the battery is dependent on when it was made, not necessarily when it was put into service, you'll want to check this code so you can be sure the battery you buy is relatively "fresh" and hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. The shipping code usually appears on a sticker on the battery or a stamp burned into the battery case itself.

The code is a string of letters numbers, but all the real information you need is in the first two characters. Usually, the code starts with a letter that corresponds with the month--'A' for January through 'L' for December (some manufacturer's codes omit 'I'; for them, 'M' indicates December). The second character of the code is a numeral that stands for the year. Thus, a code starting 'A2' indicates that the battery was shipped in January 1992; 'B2' indicates February 1992, and so on. (Delco reverses the letter and the number; a Delco code starting with '2C' indicates the battery was shipped in March 1992.)
#18 Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Toyota | moving forward

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajoca View Post
I went with the costco battery, but in warm climates, I think that you get a battery with less cranking amps and cold cranking amps (CCA) rating.

My Costco #8 was 800 CA and 640 CCA.

Standard is a group 35 battery.
See if you can get a 24F, for cold climates before looking into the spiral grid batteries.
That's the battery I got for my mom's gen 3.5. I think the one I turned in (also from Costco, but I bought it in 2005) had less CCA even if it was the same size. Guess they upped it over the years.

And about the age of batteries - Costco has date stamps on all of theirs. They were only about a month old when I bought it

'05 2AZ-FE @ 55K mi | '95 1MZ-FE @ 95K mi
#19 Old 11-06-2009, 12:31 PM
TOYODA KAMURI

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Running a Exide Nascar Select Battery dated December 99.
Still cranks, no issues.
Near 10.

i love my 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 5S-FE - 73K
9005 NIGHT GUIDE LOW BEAMS|FOG LAMPS|PIONEER HU&AUDIO|KEYLESS ENTRY
1995 Acura Legend LS KA7 3.2L C32A - 87K
SADLY, SHE HAS MUCH MORE MODS...
#20 Old 11-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Dogging It

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy57 View Post
My battery will be at the five year mark soon. It's the original Panasonic battery - the one from Japan that you can't get down here. So far I don't see any signs of a weak battery but I know when a battery goes, it goes without warning.

Do any of you change your battery as preventative maintenance? I really don't want to get stuck so I was thinking about just changing it. My old coworker has an '02 Camry and as of six months ago, she was still on her original Panasonic battery too. She bought the car at the end of 2001 so the batt is/was 7-8 years old.

My driving habits are short trips during the week with more driving on the weekend usually. I know short city trips are hard on the batt so I'm very pleased with how long the OEM battery has lasted.
Just for your info. YES you can test your battery, well not you but a garage with the right equipment. They will load it up and test it with the right equipment (a voltmeter with resistance). Lead acid batteries do not just fail. Sorry folks they don't. The life of the battery will be affected by many factors and how much the deposits add up.

As for age. If it is over 5-7 years old and you are having issues don't even waist the time testing it.
Change it.

Edit: I did say if you are having issues. If it starts right up leave it alone, you will start to notice things if it is failing.

Oh and your lucky you live in warm climates you can use cheaper batteries. Unlike where I live. It is the cold that hurts them not the heat (within reason)

Last edited by judge34411; 11-16-2009 at 06:46 PM.
#21 Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Toyota | moving forward

(Thread Starter)
I had cleaned up a bunch of that blue corrosive stuff off my neg batt terminal last month and it's back again. I'm going to pick up a batt from Costco tonight, clean the battery clamps, then install the new battery. I don't really want to bother cleaning the battery every month to ensure a good connection and considering my battery is over five years old, I don't think a $55 replacement is too out of line.

Thanks for the input guys

#22 Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Official TN Member

I drove my 1995 Bonneville to the junkyard with a 9 year old premium AC-Delco battery (not original batt).
I live in northern Ontario so winters are cold.
When the Rav-4 battery dies, will trust AC-Delco replacement, top of the line model though.
#23 Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Dogging It

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy57 View Post
I had cleaned up a bunch of that blue corrosive stuff off my neg batt terminal last month and it's back again. I'm going to pick up a batt from Costco tonight, clean the battery clamps, then install the new battery. I don't really want to bother cleaning the battery every month to ensure a good connection and considering my battery is over five years old, I don't think a $55 replacement is too out of line.

Thanks for the input guys
That blue stuff is called copper oxide. An keep a wack of good old Vaseline on the terminals to help stop it.
#24 Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 AM
TOYODA KAMURI

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge34411 View Post
Oh and your lucky you live in warm climates you can use cheaper batteries. Unlike where I live. It is the cold that hurts them not the heat (within reason)
I know it's rather late but, actually that is not the case.
Heat is what destroys batteries, except faults aren't magnified until the car relies heavily on the battery (eg. cold weather). People generally blame a battery's lack of function on the cold, when it really isn't the case. Battery's of course rely on chemical reactions to produce electrons (eg. power), acid reaction to lead plates. When hot, this reaction is escalated, of course in effect causing the output of the battery to be higher. As it is hotter the plates corrode much quicker, due to the chemical reaction occurring quicker when hot.

Then, when cold, the chemical reaction is slower, and you realize it then. As heat is introduced to the battery, the plates are more corroded, so when cold, the slowed reaction is further impaired by corroded plates.

I mean, logically as long as batteries don't freeze, and kept cooler, this preserves the battery.

I hate the whole cold weather crap, just a myth.

I hope I made sense, on web forums I rush.

i love my 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 5S-FE - 73K
9005 NIGHT GUIDE LOW BEAMS|FOG LAMPS|PIONEER HU&AUDIO|KEYLESS ENTRY
1995 Acura Legend LS KA7 3.2L C32A - 87K
SADLY, SHE HAS MUCH MORE MODS...
#25 Old 01-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Dogging It

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_professional View Post
I know it's rather late but, actually that is not the case.
Heat is what destroys batteries, except faults aren't magnified until the car relies heavily on the battery (eg. cold weather). People generally blame a battery's lack of function on the cold, when it really isn't the case. Battery's of course rely on chemical reactions to produce electrons (eg. power), acid reaction to lead plates. When hot, this reaction is escalated, of course in effect causing the output of the battery to be higher. As it is hotter the plates corrode much quicker, due to the chemical reaction occurring quicker when hot.

Then, when cold, the chemical reaction is slower, and you realize it then. As heat is introduced to the battery, the plates are more corroded, so when cold, the slowed reaction is further impaired by corroded plates.

I mean, logically as long as batteries don't freeze, and kept cooler, this preserves the battery.

I hate the whole cold weather crap, just a myth.

I hope I made sense, on web forums I rush.
Please read what I said ""WITH IN REASON" No 70 f day will kill a battery. But cranking the heck out of a car when it is -40 f leads to high deposit rates in the bottom of the battery (day after day). An you can use an older battery longer in warmer climates (weaker). I was not talking about extreme heat and over use in very hot climates.
#26 Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Toyota | moving forward

(Thread Starter)
I got my new battery in and my car starts much quicker . The group 35 batt is up to $59.99 now (I *just* paid $54.99 six months ago for the same thing!) - but it's still a great value.

On a side note, my aunt's '06 Corolla is slow to start now. Her car only has 14K miles on it but it sits in the burning hot sun all day and is driven for only short trips, both of which are harsh on a battery. I fully expect the battery to fail in the next six months, which is not bad, that's 4 years on an OEM battery.

#27 Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Official TN Member

If i have to jump the car twice, and i know i didnt leave the lights on or otherwise run down the battery, i change the battery. Also i will put my volt ohmmeter on it and read the voltage to check. (A heavy equipment mechanic at work told me a car battery gets two complete "deads"/recharges and then the battery's used up and you should change it.)8 years for a battery is terrific - i seem to get about 3 or 4 out of mine.
#28 Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Who you gonna call?

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Just replaced the battery in the camry, cold weather combined with maybe leaving the dome light on once, and the brake lights getting left on, ran it flat in 10F weather! Didn't trust it after that.

1981 Tercel Sedan, 215k
1984 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 225k
1987 Tercel Wagon FWD, 63k
1992 Camry Wagon, 274k

Have you loved your Toyota today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge