White Dust from AC Vents - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
White Dust from AC Vents

We have a 2007 Camry SE where there is a white dust being emitted from the AC/Heater vents. It is a considerable amount where you actually can see it build up on the dash.

I called Toyota and the rep said it is just oxidation build up and is not harmful. I'm concerned with this since my wife and kids drive the car everyday.

What are some possible options to get Toyota to fix this? Or, with the warranty being passed, is self fixing the only option. I would like to find out exactly what this chemical is.

Thanks in advance...as I've read some of you r very helpful answers in the past.

- Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
could be dust from the cabin filter. try replacing that first

Replacing Cabin Air Filter?

Last edited by rusty9; 04-27-2010 at 02:47 PM.
#3 Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Dogging It

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfurt View Post
We have a 2007 Camry SE where there is a white dust being emitted from the AC/Heater vents. It is a considerable amount where you actually can see it build up on the dash.

I called Toyota and the rep said it is just oxidation build up and is not harmful. I'm concerned with this since my wife and kids drive the car everyday.

What are some possible options to get Toyota to fix this? Or, with the warranty being passed, is self fixing the only option. I would like to find out exactly what this chemical is.

Thanks in advance...as I've read some of you r very helpful answers in the past.

- Brad

The rep is an idiot. An oxidization comes from aluminum and a few other alloy's, rust comes from iron and any metal containing it. Most of the ducting and such for that system is plastic. As stated by other post change the filter asap. An have that dust inspected it probably is not dangerous but you should be concerned for you and your family. 2007 is very new to have anything happening to outside of heater core or condenser.

If it is coming from the heat condenser/heater core it is not right at all.

Maybe it is just a mist? But as you say it stays on dash I doubt that.

My guess you got a lot of dust in the system somehow?

#4 Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
spp
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge34411 View Post
My guess you got a lot of dust in the system somehow?
Before cabin air filters my cop friends used to play a joke on the rookies by putting baby powder in to the air intake by the cowling so when they started the car they got a whole lotta white stuff on the nice blues.
I'm assuming the filter stops most of that now.
#5 Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
New TN User

Is anyone with the white dust problem having unexplained nose bleeds?

I found this in a book on aluminum oxide exposure.

Aluminum oxide and other aluminum dusts can cause drying and
irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat. Nosebleeds may occur if
exposures are excessive. Chronic inhalation of dusts and powders
reportedly causes pulmonary fibrosis.

A friend started having unexplained nose bleeds after buying a used Toyota with the
white dust problem and the aluminum oxide dust makes sense. I'm wondering if anyone
else is having this problem. If this isn't just a coincidence I think Toyota should
be correcting the problem even on cars that are out of warranty. I told him he should
get the problem fixed or sell the car, but, he doesn't have the money right now to fix it.
Toyota wants a lot of money to replace the evaporator coils, since it's out of warranty and
selling it to someone else with the problem doesn't seem ethical knowing that it has this
problem that could be a health risk.

Last edited by 2010_FJ; 04-19-2011 at 07:28 PM.
#6 Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 AM
New TN User

Hi i have a Toyota Avensis HAT2.2TR 2009 purchase two years ago i do have the same problem of white dust/powder caming from the air/con vents i have contactedt Toyota Main dealer Stockpot according to them they never have experienced any body else with similar problem. I am getting irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat.
My local garage have changed the the cabin filters but it made no diferece Toyota UK would not do any thing until the car is seen by a Toyota technitian with a charge with i think is totally wrong
#7 Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanluis View Post
Hi i have a Toyota Avensis HAT2.2TR 2009 purchase two years ago i do have the same problem of white dust/powder caming from the air/con vents i have contactedt Toyota Main dealer Stockpot according to them they never have experienced any body else with similar problem. I am getting irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat.
My local garage have changed the the cabin filters but it made no diferece Toyota UK would not do any thing until the car is seen by a Toyota technitian with a charge with i think is totally wrong
I think the Toyota white dust problem is similar to the Ford problem. Their TSB 09-21-6 says and I quote, "MAY CAUSE EYE AND RESPIRATORY TRACT IRRITATION. PROLONGED REPEATED EXPOSURE MAY CAUSE BONE DAMAGE (FLUOROSIS) AND HARM TO THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM (BASED ON ANIMAL side. DATA)." My friends mom has had unexplained nose bleeds because of the white dust in her Lexus. When they went to see an attorney to discuss a possible lawsuit against Toyota the lawyer said he also had nose bleeds which started for no apparent reason. Guess what car he drives, also a Lexus with white dust and flakes everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge