Camry XLE Valet Key does not function properly in the trunk - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Camry XLE Valet Key does not function properly in the trunk

I have a 2007 Camry XLE, 4 cyl. I have a valet key that functions properly in that it does not open the glove box or back seat armrest passthrough to trunk. However, the trunk, which is the one thing I most care about the valet key not opening, does open with the valet key. What is the trick to having the valet key function properly (not open) in the trunk? My dealer does not know. My car is about to go out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2010, 06:05 PM
spp
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleyjrt View Post
I have a 2007 Camry XLE, 4 cyl. I have a valet key that functions properly in that it does not open the glove box or back seat armrest passthrough to trunk. However, the trunk, which is the one thing I most care about the valet key not opening, does open with the valet key. What is the trick to having the valet key function properly (not open) in the trunk? My dealer does not know. My car is about to go out of warranty.
Use the master and turn the key cylinder to the left 90 degrees and remove.
Valet key should not allow you to do this.
Also keeps the trunk release from working inside the cab but the button on the master key will.
If I got any part of that wrong I hope NJerald sets me straight.
#3 Old 05-18-2010, 04:55 AM
New TN User

The valet key will allow entry into the car, which then the floor lever will allow entry into the trunk (even though the valet key doesn't directly open the trunk).

TirePressure.....Each of the 5 tires has a transmitter, which transmits it's 7digit ID# and it's pressure. The TPMS computer monitors these to ensure all are within tolerance. If you have to replace a sensor, be sure to have the tire dealer write down the new ID#. There is a dealer initialization process that they go thru, using a hand held TPMS tool.

The service manual for TPMS, indicates that there is a small black reset button to the left of the glove compartment (after opening it). I haven't personally done this, and proceed further on your own risk....all standard legal and self diagnosis disclaimers apply. It appears that the reset process is as follows. Inflate all the tires to their correct pressure. Turn on the Ignition, hold the reset button for greater than 3 secs. When the initialization begins it will blink the TPMS light 3 times, on and off for a second each. The TPMS ECM will then begin reading the sensors, taking approximately a minute per read. The initialization is completed, when the ECM reads successfully from all 5 sensors the pressure.

Note: it is not real clear to me whether this reset process can be used if a sensor was replaced, or whether this is just used to reset after a low tire pressure detection. There is a separate area of the TPMS service manual, which has a statement that the dealer intialization has to be used to 'register' the new TPMS ID.
#4 Old 05-18-2010, 12:37 PM
First Toyo was '69 Corona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_10 View Post
The valet key will allow entry into the car, which then the floor lever will allow entry into the trunk (even though the valet key doesn't directly open the trunk).
Actually, that's only correct if you didn't follow 'spp's' advice above your post. If you use the master key to turn the trunk lock to the left 90 degrees (and remove key), the trunk release lever inside the car will be disabled.

2005 Camry 2.4L
2AZ-FE I4 — 2009 Camry 2.4L 2AZ-FE I4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge