Idle speed drops too low! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge

Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
VeeZed

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View JetspeedCamry's Photo Gallery
Idle speed drops too low!

My car's idle bottoms out when i stop the car from a speed. It drops down to around 400-500 (almost stalls) and then finds its way back up again. This ONLY occurs when the engine is hot, like on a hot day after it's warmed up and been driven a bit. Also, if it's in D gear, while stationary, if i move the lever down to L, the RPM drops again down to 500 or so, then climbs back up.
Any ideas on what could be causing this? It can be quite annoying because I have to put my foot on the gas slightly jus to hold up the revs a bit when stopping at lights.
Could it be the ISC? ECT?
JetspeedCamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Speed Racer

View toyotachick's Photo Gallery
I dunno.....mine is a 1997 and it will idle kinda funny when it is in park. It makes a high rev when i first start it up. My cars never been hot before, so i dont know if it does that.

toyotachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View Kaliman's Photo Gallery
Check spark timing
Kaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View Meisner's Photo Gallery
I was having a similar problem that was very irritating after swapping the manual tranny since it was difficult to start from a dead stop.

I have about 118K miles on my '96 5S-FE (with the turbo). I tried swapping the coil, plugs, cap, rotor, etc...Nothing brought the idle up from the usual 650 to 700rpm. Ocassionally it dropped to 500 rpm.

Anyway, after trying a number of things, I finally changed my ignition module (also called the igniter). The idle is smooth as can be now and is idling at 800 rpm consistently. It's great. Sure seems morepowerful and smooth now.

These modules are very expensive from Toyota. TAP has them for $35...used, but usually good. AutoZone has the Wells brand for about $150.

Steve
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View Meisner's Photo Gallery
Oh, I should also mention that there's a good chance that that your IAC (Idle Air Control) valve has a buildup of carbon. Another expensive part fromToyota, so it's worth trying to clean it. The IAC is mounted to the throttle body.

Of course, I am assuming the v6 has an IAC...I don't know first hand. The only v6 Toyota we have here belongs to my wife...and she won't let me 'play' with her engine for fear I may start modifying it!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
VeeZed

Thankyou mate, ill try those things. Wouldn't be anything to do with temp sensors?? Coz it only happens when the motor is hot. Either when it's a hot day after a 10-15 mins of driving, or after a hard run.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diablo

View GaviN's Photo Gallery
What idle point would anyone recommend for a 93 4cyl ?? My car vibrates while its in gear and stopped. It drives me crazy ! This is the first automatic car that I've ever owned and driven, so Im used to being in N at a light with manuals. Is this vibration normal ??

93 Camry LE & 05 Altima SER-6sp
GaviN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
VeeZed

A little vibration is normal i suppose, mine does a little. Of course, when the idle drops low, it vibrates more which doesnt feel normal. But if it's idling at around the 700-750 mark, i think that sort of vibration and idle speed is good.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diablo

View GaviN's Photo Gallery
^^Mine vibrates to the point where it rattles the change in the ash-tray and stuff in the little bin below the cupholder and my parking hangtag permit on the mirror.. I dont think thats normal and it gets even worse when the fan kicks in.. It annoys the hell outta me..

93 Camry LE & 05 Altima SER-6sp
GaviN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View muratski's Photo Gallery
The problem could be a lack of enough pressure in the engine oil system. This could be if you forgot to put the cap on the oil refill. Happened to me in my '86 after i changed my oil. Check to make sure all the caps are compeletely closed under the hood.
muratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View burchard's Photo Gallery
My car (camry 95 4 cyl AT) also goes down to 500 rmps and then comes back to 750 rpm when is warm up . I am almost sure that it is the AIC valve that has some deposits. What I do is to spray Throttle body cleaner through the P port and then start the car. It will have to crank a bit more thatn usual. I repeat this 3-4 times and this takes care of the problem for a while If you take aparet the AIC and clean it properly, probably will solve your problem for a few years. Search this site for AIC cleaning. Good luck
burchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge