jiggle pin - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-09-2005, 09:42 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
jiggle pin

i never heard of a jiggle pin.before i read this in the forum,i put a new thermostat in the 94 camry-cost about 10 dollars,i didnt notice any jiggle pin on it. i didnt check it to see if it had a pin. there is nothing wrong with the temp. on the car,it doesnt get to the half way mark--so i guess there is no reason to take it out and check it, my question,do you think a 10 dollar thermostat would have a jiggle pin---and what kind of problem would i have,if it did have a jiggle pin and i didnt put it on top--thans for the info.---cutler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
As near as I can guess the jiggle pin allows a 5sfe system to cold fill properly by letting air in the bottom rad hose escape past it. Without it, you get an air lock there until the thermostat opens. When it opens the air will pass and the overall coolant level will drop, but if the rad cap is still off, you can then top er up before the rad cap is put on. Once the rad cap is put on, then fill the overflow tank to the hot level.

Just a novice's analysis. Maybe someone else can confirm or adjust this.

85 LE 2SE 500K km - died trying to push a semi off the road
95 LE 5SFE 530K km, 530K km changed engine, 549K km second engine died, now 554K Km running with a 98 5SFE block and head
01 XLE V6 310K km
#3 Old 01-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Darkside Cut Me!!!

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
500K is right,

The jiggle pin is a small wire slightly smaller put through a hole in the thermostat that will be in contact with the engine side of the water jacket, and the rad side.

In normal operation, the small hole will not do much for flow, the pin is there to add more restriction so that only air pockets/ bubbles get through.

2004 RX330 Sport
2003 Cam I4 XLE
2000 Cam XLE Gold Edition V6
1998 CamCE I4 Super Commuter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge