What kind of coolant to use? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge

Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Astrodonkey's Photo Gallery
4th Generation What kind of coolant to use?

Hi all,

I just bought a 1997 V6 Camry LE. The coolant is running low. I was going to top it off but noticed the expenasion tank orange coolant in it. The user's manual says to use ethylene-glycol coolant, which I believe is the green stuff, is it not? I don't know the differences between the two coolant types, but I don't think they're compatible.

Which one should I use, and why would the orange stuff be in there in the first place?
Astrodonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Ummm, answered my own question with this thread:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t22782.html

Missed it on my first search.

Looks like I should use the orange, but I'm still confused since the owner's manual says to use ethelyene-glycol.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View CX889's Photo Gallery
I use the green one.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
HID/Retrofit Expert

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View white3ch0c0late's Photo Gallery
Toyota engines are made to use DexCool (red) coolant only. It protects the aluminum heads. The silicates in the green coolant corrode the heads.

Glaring blue HID bulbs are NOT classy, and don't make your car look nice, no matter what that kid in the Civic told you.
white3ch0c0late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Hmmm. In the thread above, someone said Dexcool is not the same as the red Toyota coolant.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Other White Meat

View terrastrife's Photo Gallery
i have green in my 3vz fe -- if hte motor dies, what an excuse to power it up!

125 front wheel horsepower with major retard issues between 4500-5200RPM -
OD switched off, even when not in 3rd results in major power loss/rpm drop.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Ken4's Photo Gallery
Best to use Toyota Red Premix. There are many on the market, make sure to use the right one:

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I did a lot of research when we bought a new 2002 Toyota. My previous vehicles had been converted to DEX-COOL ('90 Honda, '90 VW - no problems at all). I found this on a UK website:

Anti-Freeze: What are the different types and properties?

There are currently five main types of antifreeze. In all cases the 'anti-freeze' properties last the life of the coolant - it is the various additives that deteriorate with time. These additives include anti-foaming agents, surfactants (to improve the 'wetting' of the coolant and hence give better heat transfer) and, most importantly, anti-corrosion additives. As the range of alloys and plastics used in modern engines grows ever more complex it is important to ensure that the correct anti-freeze is used.

1. Ethylene Glycol - this is the traditional stuff, used since the 1950's. It uses silicates to stop corrosion by passivating the metal surface. This type of anti-freeze is suitable for most European cars, but not Japanese cars. Japanese manufacturers normally recommend a low- or no-silicate formulation due to the nature of the seal materials that they use (see below).
Typical service life of 2-4 years.

2. Ethylene Glycol: Low- or no-silicate formulation. This is specified by most Japanese cars. OEM Nissan, Toyota 'red' etc. antifreezes use phosphates rather than silicates to inhibit corrosion. Silicates are abrasive and the use of high silicate antifreezes in Japanese cars may result in premature failure of seal materials.

3. Mono Propylene Glycol - this still uses silicates and is claimed to last 4 years. Mono Propylene Glycol does not conduct heat as well as Ethylene Glycol and currently carries NO recommendation from any major car manufacturer- and some actually caution against it. The main claim to fame for Mono Propylene Glycol is that its less toxic than Ethylene Glycol.

4. Organic Acid Technology (OAT) - e.g. GM 'DexCool'. Introduced in 1995, this is a recyclable and biodegradable antifreeze which is based on organic acids and is silicate- and phosphate-free. However, due to the nature of the chemicals used, it can attack certain seal and gasket materials and therefore should only be used in vehicles for which it is factory specified.

OAT antifreeze MUST NOT be mixed with the types listed above - if you wish to switch to OAT type then the cooling system must first be chemically flushed.

The claimed service life of the corrosion inhibitor package is about 5 years, or 100-150,000 miles.

5. Ethylene Glycol-based 'Hybrid Organic Acid Technology' (HOAT). Uses Ethylene Glycol, but with OAT-based corrosion inhibitors and some added silicates; most usually BASF's "Glysantin" additive package is used (also known as 'G-05'). HOAT is less agressive than straight OAT anti-freeze and has better cavitation resistance. Again, best to thoroughly flush your system if switching to it.
Lasts 4-5 years.

The bottom line is to refill your engine with what the factory supplied and do a flush-and-refill every 4 years maximum. If you have a Japanese car, stick to the maker's brand since non-OEM coolants may contain higher levels of potentially damaging silicates.

If mixing your coolant from a 'concentrate' then use demineralised or distilled water (available from motor factors at around 3 for 5 litres) to make up the quantity - UK tap water often has a lot of dissolved minerals in it which can leave scale deposits inside the engine's coolant passages.

I was planning on moving the Toyota over to either DEX-COOL or G-05 when it came time to service it - mainly because I don't want to be hostage to Toyota Parts Division.
Another good article:

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/art....jsp?id=156227
Ken4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge