94 Corolla Front Speakers - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
94 Corolla Front Speakers

I recently added some new stereo equipment to my 94 Corolla.

Infinity Reference 6.5" in the rear deck and an Infinity 7541A Amplifier (111w RMS x 4 @ 4ohm). Have them running off the RCA Sub output of the headunit and they sound incredible...a poor mans sub you could say.

I have some aftermarket speakers in the front, but would like to replace them with better ones. Now, my question is for anyone who has installed speakers larger than 4" in the front.
What exactly is involved, and what exactly can be made to fit? I would like to put some 5.25" speakers in those doors (6.5" would be ideal, but I have a feeling that just aunt gunna happen...a guy can dream tho).

Thanks for any wisdom you guys can impart on me.

PS - I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, but I have no problem dropping cash on brackets, mounts, etc, so long as theyre not hugely expensive.

Family Toyotas
82 Corolla 89 Corolla 91 Previa 93 Pickup 94 Corolla 95 Avalon 96 Camry 02 Sienna 02 Tundra 03 Tundra 04 Camry 05 Corolla 14 Corolla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im not sure on this, but i think ive read somewhere that 6.5" can be done (not fully sure, sorry if its not true), but you'll have to seriously butcher your door. and make a mounting bracket and what not.
#3 Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mount depth is only 1.75". Some 4" speakers will not even fit. If you can find a 5.25" speaker with say a 2" depth, go to the junkyard and pull 2 speaker mount brackets from a 93-97 corolla. Experiment with these to see if you can make it work while retaining the stock look. If you can get it to fit, you could even drill out more holes in the factory grill plastic for the sound to come through. On another note, getting good imaging is very difficult with such a narrow width and shallow dash.

Last edited by schn0354; 03-21-2007 at 11:11 PM.
#4 Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I was actually able to get some 5.25" speakers to fit. By removing the factory bracket I was able to use 3 screws to attach them directly to the door frame...believe it or not, but they sound shockingly good mounted like that. The only problem is that they are about .25" too deep, and keep the window from going down the last 3 inches. As soon as I cut a new bracket out of some plywood (or whatever I can get my hands on), that problem will be solved, but it hasnt been enough of an annoyance to bother for some time.

Family Toyotas
82 Corolla 89 Corolla 91 Previa 93 Pickup 94 Corolla 95 Avalon 96 Camry 02 Sienna 02 Tundra 03 Tundra 04 Camry 05 Corolla 14 Corolla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech