CD Player Won't Read Disks - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
CD Player Won't Read Disks

I have an issue with an OEM Clarion cd player. For whatever reason, it will no longer play CDs. The issue started a few years ago and has become worse, now not playing them at all. I'm pretty sure it's shot because I tried a cleaner disk with no successful, but I need to think of other things to try as it's the family car and I can't convince my dad that it's shot. So is there anything else I can try? I don't think blowing compressed air in it will make a difference as any dust would have no where to go right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Official TN Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did you try reseting it. its a long shot, but the manual always says to reset the deck if theres problems. also check if any speaker wires got disconnected or maybe the harness for the speakers came out of the deck for some odd reason. Do you get any display of the cd tracks? or does is say error and spit?

JVC KW-AVX810 DVD DECK(RUNNING BACK 6X9'S AS REARFILL); MB QUART REF. SER. SEPARATES (TWEETERS); ROCKFORD FOSGATE PUNCH 100X2 (FROM 1997, RUNNING THE HIGHS) RATED @ 498W RMS BS; KENWOOD EXCELON X1200M AMP (RUNNING SUBS) PAS MAG TESTED @ 1324W RMS @ 2 OHMS; 2 ALPINE TYPE R'S 12" IN RGW PORTED BOX.

Last edited by dr_green; 08-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.
#3 Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_green View Post
did you try reseting it. its a long shot, but the manual always says to reset the deck if theres problems. also check if any speaker wires got disconnected or maybe the harness for the speakers came out of the deck for some odd reason. Do you get any display of the cd tracks? or does is say error and spit?
I tried resetting it by disconnecting the battery from the car and reconnecting it. It gives an "Error 6" which is either a wrong sized disk or disk in upside down error, but that is not the case here. The disk does spin when you put it in too.
#4 Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRocker View Post
I tried resetting it by disconnecting the battery from the car and reconnecting it. It gives an "Error 6" which is either a wrong sized disk or disk in upside down error, but that is not the case here. The disk does spin when you put it in too.

what you just said isn't really reseting it, unless the oem manual says that's how to reset the deck. Usually theres a really small button you need to press with a pen point to reset the deck.

I would try the reset first, but it sort of sounds that your deck maybe out of order. It maybe time for an upgrade. How about your factory warranty? good luck!

JVC KW-AVX810 DVD DECK(RUNNING BACK 6X9'S AS REARFILL); MB QUART REF. SER. SEPARATES (TWEETERS); ROCKFORD FOSGATE PUNCH 100X2 (FROM 1997, RUNNING THE HIGHS) RATED @ 498W RMS BS; KENWOOD EXCELON X1200M AMP (RUNNING SUBS) PAS MAG TESTED @ 1324W RMS @ 2 OHMS; 2 ALPINE TYPE R'S 12" IN RGW PORTED BOX.
#5 Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Official TN Member

what about using those cd lens cleaners. They're cds with tiny brushes with audio instructions that wipe away dust/dirt that might've formed on the lens.

Totaled 1996 Corolla DX
2009 Nissan Altima 2.5S with Takeda SRI, stock dual exhausts, mesh grille
LED bulbs for dome/map/turn signal/tail light/3rd brake light/back up bulbs
#6 Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguru1360 View Post
what about using those cd lens cleaners. They're cds with tiny brushes with audio instructions that wipe away dust/dirt that might've formed on the lens.
he said he tried a cleaner cd already and still the same results. crap.

#7 Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRocker View Post
I don't think blowing compressed air in it will make a difference as any dust would have no where to go right?
In some situations it works because you could be blowing the dust away from the lens to settle elsewhere. It worked a couple times when I was living in the desert.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#8 Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Official TN Member

have you tried different branded media?? maybe some clarions are sensitive and only play media like Verbatim or TDK or Memorex.

Totaled 1996 Corolla DX
#9 Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quote:
have you tried different branded media?? maybe some clarions are sensitive and only play media like Verbatim or TDK or Memorex.
WTH...how can you compare even put Memorex in the same category as Verbatim. Memorex is one of the the worst media out there. They're down there along with Ritek. Verbatim, while not the best, has been consistently good media.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#10 Old 09-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Official TN Member

sometimes the bad media works in some rare cases!

Totaled 1996 Corolla DX
#11 Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quote:
sometimes the bad media works in some rare cases!
Media that crumbles in my hands is not something I'd trust my data with.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#12 Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior TN Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The manual for the thing doesn't actually say how to reset it, aside from a warning that when you disconnect the battery it resets the radio and you thus loose your presets... also, the disks being used are not CD-R/RWs but normal CDs. I'll try blowing it out though with compressed air.
#13 Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
New TN User

I have the same problem except I can play music cds but books on cd won't load. This is a recent event because I could play them before. They eventually just eject without playing.
#14 Old 03-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Official TN Member

then it's probably something that went wrong with the laser lens if resetting it doesn't do anything.

It'd be cheaper to replace it with a newer clarion model than to send it in for repair

Totaled 1996 Corolla DX
#15 Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Official TN Member

Have you tried playing different discs or trying an original disc?

I ran into a situation where my CD-RW discs started to fail to play on the portable CD player I use. I went through about 25 "bad" discs before I decided to reburn about 400 discs (on TDK). It looks like some discs start loosing their integrity as they get old (maybe 15 years old). Memorex and Circuit City CDs accounted for a lot of problems.

Anyway, I think the CDs degrade over time until they fail to play in portables, car stereos, etc. It seems as though the dye or something weakens enough to "fail", but 95% of these discs still had enough information to be read by my PC CD read/writer. It is my theory that the PC read/write lasers are more powerfull than the ones in other devices and thus may read discs that appear to be bad on other players.

All this is to say don't trust that your CDs are good before you spend money on new equipment. Original CDs I have still are holding up fine after 15 years or more, so I would check if your CD player works with some of those. Probably unlikely you would have the same situation as mine, but it could pay to take a few minutes to check it out to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech