2012 Camry SE, base stereo - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2012 Camry SE, base stereo

Can someone please tell me the stock speaker sizes? Over at Crutchfield they only list rear deck speakers when you go through the compatibility checker. Why are they not listing anything for the front door - did something change between 2011 and 2012?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
Can someone please tell me the stock speaker sizes? Over at Crutchfield they only list rear deck speakers when you go through the compatibility checker. Why are they not listing anything for the front door - did something change between 2011 and 2012?
I had the same question and emailed Crutchfield. Here's their response:

"None of the 4" speakers we carry will fit into the factory dash openings of your Camry. The mounting height available is .37" and the 4" speaker that we carry that sticks out the least has a mounting height of .44". The front door factory speaker is a non-standard size with a large opening in the door steel. A bracket must be fabricated in order to install any speaker in the front door location. I hope this information helps."
#3 Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. Hopefully someone will come up with compatible replacements.
#4 Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Go to the audio forum. They talk about the adapters needed to fit a standard 6 x 9 into the front door. Several companies make the adapters or you can cut one from plywood.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/11...security-tech/
#5 Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I've been searching for days and havent found a single thread of someone fitting a 6x9 in a 2012 door.
#6 Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
I've been searching for days and havent found a single thread of someone fitting a 6x9 in a 2012 door.
Most will fit easily. Make a braket out of 3/4" MDF and top mount it and you will have almost 4" of depth without hitting the window. You have nearly 1.5" between the door panel and the door itself so depth is not an issue if you make a thicker bracket. Check my thread in the audio forum where I put in a 6.5" component set, I have pics. The actual cutout in the door is huge and is designed to accommodate the upgraded system which has a 7x10" speaker in there.

P.S. they are going to pound. Something about those doors, I put peel n seal in mine (poormans dynamat) and ran separates off an alpine 50x4 and i COULD NOT BELIEVE the low end response.

Last edited by pablotweek; 04-25-2012 at 10:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pablotweek For This Useful Post:
scrabbler (04-29-2012)
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quote from Pablotweek- P.S. they are going to pound. Something about those doors, I put peel n seal in mine (poormans dynamat) and ran separates off an alpine 50x4 and i COULD NOT BELIEVE the low end response.

Where did you put the peel and seal?
Was it on the inside of the outer door skin?
Did you put any on the inner door panel?

You are right- the bass sound from the front doors is very un-natural.

Did you have to do anything with the rear deck?

Last edited by dcm0123; 04-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.
#8 Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
You need to check out his install thread....

2012 Camry - full stereo install - lessons learned and tips
#9 Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM
New TN User

I put it on both the inside of the outer door (reached inside the door) and also on the inside door between the door and panel. They sound wonderful now, though TBH I never ran the components without the peel n seal, didn't have time so I have no basis for comparison, but the bass is very tight and uncolored, and beyond what I expected a 6.5" could produce.

I have a bit of rattle still on the window/door lock control so I am probably going to put a tiny bit of foam weatherstripping under it to cure that

Honestly if I could do it over I would have spent the extra cash for something that didn't smell so bad, peel and seal is cheap but its been a couple weeks and the tar smell lingers.
#10 Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Thanked 1,163 Times in 923 Posts
OP, Pioneer's speaker replacement guide lists both front/rear speakers as 6x9's.

Pablotweek, I used Rattletrap by Fatmat on the inside and outside panels. Its fairly cheap and IMO much better than peal n seal. The smell lingered for only about a week before going away. I completely sealed the door with this stuff. When you do that it creates back pressure for the speaker. That is why your getting all the extra bass out of the 6.5". It makes my 6x9's hit like crazy.
I did one thing to help counter the smell, I went around all the edges with aluminum foil tape to try and seal it up, so no tar was exposed. Like this:

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited

Last edited by sweeneyp; 05-02-2012 at 12:59 PM.
#11 Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyp View Post
OP, Pioneer's speaker replacement guide lists both front/rear speakers as 6x9's.

Pablotweek, I used Rattletrap by Fatmat on the inside and outside panels. Its fairly cheap and IMO much better than peal n seal. The smell lingered for only about a week before going away. I completely sealed the door with this stuff. When you do that it creates back pressure for the speaker. That is why your getting all the extra bass out of the 6.5". It makes my 6x9's hit like crazy.
I did one thing to help counter the smell, I went around all the edges with aluminum foil tape to try and seal it up, so no tar was exposed. Like this:

Those look like the Aramid cone 6x9 Pioneer speakers I have. Did you have to add an amplifier or are you running direct from the radio?
#12 Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Thanked 1,163 Times in 923 Posts
The 6x9's are Pioneer TS-D6902R and the 6.75" are Pioneer TS-D1702R. I am running them off a Pioneer GM-D9500F 4 channel. Its rated at 80 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohm, but its severely underrated, the 6x9's are getting around 100 watts RMS clean/non clipping signal. The 6.75" are getting around 60 watts rms. I would not want to run the 6x9's on a radio alone, they are power hungry monsters. But its worth the power, they hit harder than my old JL 8" sub I had (not to mention play full frequency), and are deafening loud at full volume.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeneyp For This Useful Post:
dcm0123 (05-03-2012)
#13 Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Official TN Member

Hey Guys
Your system looks awesome. I have a question for you. I see you used components in the front and put the tweeters next to the mids. My question is what did you do with the little like 3 inch speakers that are up on the dash. I'm confused because I was told they are wired together. I obviously don't know much about this but I also want to replace the speakers in my 2012 camry xle with just the touch screen system NO jbl or Nav. I was thinking using components also with a 4 channel amp, but was going to put the tweeter up on the location on the dash????? Any info would be great.
#14 Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 PM
New TN User

I didn't use the dash speaker mount locations. You are right, the dash and door are wired in parallel so there are actually 4 wires in the dash speaker harness - when you plug it in, you complete a parallel circuit down to the door speakers.

I was originally planning to try another set of speakers in the dash, but after listening to the components, and hearing how balanced they were, I decided not to bother - I have plenty of highs with just the one set and the staging is wonderful.

You could use components and put the tweeter up there if you want, but I find highs up on the windshield a bit harsh depending on the tweeter. Putting the mid and tweeter close to each other keeps them in phase since they are the same distance from your ear. I really can't tell that they are down so low - since we only have two ears, the sound still comes from in front of you. We can only identify a sound source on one plane, not in 3d space. Any clues your ears give you about source height is based only on the character of the sound and your brain taking the environment into account (echoes etc). You can certainly try both locations if you are on the fence. Let us know how it goes!
#15 Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 PM
New TN User

P.S. I hear silk dome tweeters are generally considered softer and a better match for a dash mount since the reflection of the windshield can make metal domed tweeters sound harsh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech