Flashing VSC & 4 LO Lights - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > 2nd Generation (2007-2013)

2nd Generation (2007-2013) Discussion of the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tundra

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Spudz's Photo Gallery
Flashing VSC & 4 LO Lights

Had been out of town and hadn't driven the truck for a couple of weeks. When I cranked it up, it initially ran rough, which NEVER happens. Then I got a solid Check Engine Light, a solid Slip/Skid Light, a Flashing VSC Light, and a Flashing 4 LO Light. The engine roughness cleared in a few minutes, but none of the lights will clear even after numerous restarts. Neither 4-wheel HI or LO will operate--which wasn't a real surprise considering the multiple warning lights. Didn't do much trouble shooting since it was 20 degrees with blowing snow today.

Anyone out there had any similar problems or have any ideas on the cause and possible fixes before that dreaded trip to the dealer?
First problem of any kind that I've experienced.

07 SR5 TOW 4WD DC 5.7L (7000 mi.)
Spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Precision driver

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View mhadden's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz View Post
Had been out of town and hadn't driven the truck for a couple of weeks. When I cranked it up, it initially ran rough, which NEVER happens. Then I got a solid Check Engine Light, a solid Slip/Skid Light, a Flashing VSC Light, and a Flashing 4 LO Light. The engine roughness cleared in a few minutes, but none of the lights will clear even after numerous restarts. Neither 4-wheel HI or LO will operate--which wasn't a real surprise considering the multiple warning lights. Didn't do much trouble shooting since it was 20 degrees with blowing snow today.

Anyone out there had any similar problems or have any ideas on the cause and possible fixes before that dreaded trip to the dealer?
First problem of any kind that I've experienced.

07 SR5 TOW 4WD DC 5.7L (7000 mi.)
I'm not sure what your problem is, but you'll have to take it to the dealer. It sounds like an issue with your either of your ECM's.
mhadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
On cars and trucks with VSC and other traction enhancement systems, these systems will turn off if CEL lights come on. The ECU turns off these systems to keep the engine load to a minimum. Any trouble codes that caused the CEL to turn on require a code reader to clear and turn off the CEL.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks for your response. I read through the posts over on TS and found very similar problems but no single root cause. Appears there has been some understandable frustrations from some folks with these CEL, VSC, ECU, etc. warning light problems. Apparently the system is really sensitivity and the fault logic can pretty much shuts you down with no way for us to check or clear anything. Kinda like getting the dreaded blue screen or frozen hour glass on your computer and CTRL-ALT-DELETE and ReBoot don't work. Gotta just love the computer age. Dashing off to the dealer to check and clear codes is one thing while under warranty, but quite another story when the warranty runs out. I'll post when they figure out what caused my glitch.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

O.K., here's the scoop. Took 'er in to the dealer this a.m. to have the Check Engine Light, Slip/Skid Light, Flashing VSC OFF Light, and Flashing 4 LO Light problem checked out. Error code was for a #5 cyl. misfire. Cleared the code and reset the computer and all was well. Tech did a full checkout, including 2 test runs using all 4-wheel & VSC modes, with no faults and no reoccurs from those two downloads. So it looks to have been a momentary situation that cleared itself. I was happy that they found no problem, but still think it would be nice to be able to reset the computer myself and see if the faults reinitiate to avoid an unnecessary trip to the dealership for a non-problem (even though they do have great donuts and coffee). I don't know enough to comment accurately on the procedure for resetting the computer by disconnecting the Batt for 20 minutes or if this will clear a CEL, but I'd sure like to know the pros and cons from some of you Toyota wizzards on how effective this procedure might be and how you fell about using it.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
Don’t think disconnecting the battery or ECU fuse works on these later model cars and trucks (after say 2000), hence the need for a code reader that can clear them. You can purchase a unit to read and clear the codes for a reasonable price.

If the CEL lights goes on for any reason the traction enhancement systems turn off and their dash warning lights come on.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View wonger's Photo Gallery
yours would the second toyota i seen do the same thing. one is the yours i just read.. the second was a while ago when it was pretty cold out on a 07 camry thats been sitting on a lot for a while.. wet and moist out.. anyways .. the lot guys went to start it up and CEL was on.. ran kinda rough. i went out there with a scan tool (techstream) found that a cylinder was misfiring.. i cleared it.. fired the car back up and got it nice a hot.. my guess would be water must have build up on the plugs and caused a short.. since yours sat for a while and was pretty cold out.. im sure it was its the same thing..
best thing to do would be getting a scanner for clearing codes and compressed air to spray out the plug holes to get any moisture/condensation
Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonger View Post
...best thing to do would be getting a scanner for clearing codes and compressed air to spray out the plug holes to get any moisture/condensation...
Thanks Wonger, and I agree. An OBDII CAN Code Scanner just moved up a notch on my "Big Boy Toy" list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > 2nd Generation (2007-2013)