Toyota Nation Forum banner

OEM fit Android Head Unit Radio DVD Navigation upgrade installation questions answers

182K views 543 replies 54 participants last post by  Rednaxela 
#1 · (Edited)
I could not find a topic specifically on a 2nd gen Highlander or Hybrid Highlander Radio Upgrade to Android base Head units

I have spent a lot of time gathering info on this topic as I purchased my own for my 2008 highlander Hybrid without JBL.

If you have JBL and Nav originally your wiring might be different a bit and you will need canbus harness to my understanding.

there are 2 models of aftermarket OEM fit Head units in the market
Android or WinCE based
WinCE is the old unit and I am not interested in that (i.e. Rosen)
Android based units are now upto android 4.4.4 as of April 2015
they come with 8gb NANd flash
1-1.6ghz CPU
1GB ram
Bluetooth 2+
Radio with RDS support
32GB SD card / USB support

NO support for iphone new connector but the old 30pin ipods are supported as an option on most units
the screen is 8"
resolution is 800x480 base but I got 1024x600 as HD for 20$ more.

there are many many sellers out there almost all are based in China.

the way you categorize these is based on the MCU model number
these units have main CPU called MCU that manages the many different components attached to it so your GPS or Bluettoth does not connect to the android system it connects to the MCU as to the android unit and radio etc
then the MCU manages them
there is thread on XDA that explains it well http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Generic_Android_Head_Unit/MCU_Explained
and here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Generic_Android_Head_Unit

for the highlander I mostly saw 2 options
Mstar MST786 (cedric/Mstar) 1.0 to 1.2 Ghz Cortex-A9 Dual Core processors are found in the units in the Tonghai Create AN-21U Wiki or Thread or [Sion thread].
and
RockChip RK3066 (KGL/KLD/JY/MD/GS/RM) 1.6GHz Cortex A9 Dual-core processors are found in the units in the Hui Fei Wiki or Thread

I ended up getting a Rockchip MCU unit made by Joyous (JY)
the sellers hide the real identity of what they sell usually with their own made up brand so you have to look at the MCU version of the unit in the android >settings> about device page

the MCU firmware can not be changed with another company even if it is the same MCU model ie Rockchip vs Mstar
but the android firmware is interchangable and there is actually custom firmware for the android part on XDA

considering I bought a RK3066 MCU unit I followed this and the forum thread for it http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/HuiFei_Android_Radio

here is a Russian site about this unit http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=557670&st=8140

here is a link to the unit I bought
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-Highlander-2008-2011/239539_32286625546.html

at the moment my setup comes out to 370$ to 450$ including the expensive fast DHL shipping (you get it in 3-5 days from 7000 miles away)

Here is a link to installation video

Here is a link to how to Tap into your original backup camera and feed it into the big screen from the MDF
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...tory-look-nav-stereo-unit-11.html#post7823553

Harness E11 - pin 2 is reverse
Harness E11 - pin 4 is GND for camera
Harness E11 - pin 2 is Positive for camera

Here is thread on the back up camera disabling on the MDF and keeping it only on the head unit
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2013/403477-wiring-help-back-up-camera.html

my 2008 Highlander Head unit has 2 Radio antennas, a bigger one and a smaller one but I can only use the bigger antenna in the android Head unit and the small is not used. I do notice that my Radio reception is suffering. now I am wondering if there is a way to integrate both antennas or is it perhaps because I am missing out on a connection perhaps a antenna amp or power connection.. can some one please help me out with that.

some more pics of the Joyous android head I got
http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/lovemytechy/library/Highlander 08/Radio Android Head

you can install almost any android navigation app you like
perhaps Waze while you tether the head unit with your phones internet (I personally think is the best nav app as it has the most current data on map, speed cam, traffic)

but considering the phone tether is not the most convenient most of these units come with igo primo which is very nice, or Sygic or Tomtom.
the maps on these are at least 6-12 months old but will do the job
here is a good forum with experts on nav apps
http://fixmygps.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16
I think Navitotal is another forum on that.

you have google play and can install any app that fits in your free space memory

My Joyous unit does connect to the lighting and dims a bit when the lights are turned on to avoid glare.
the unit buttons can change color to rainbow or any set color you like. not all units can do this.

BC06 Bluettoth module in mine can connect to the OBDII bluetooth module while connected to my phone with no issue

you need to use the external mic on these for phone calls as the internal ones are almost garbage or do not work at all.. so you have to find a place to hand the mic.

the ipod usb cable and the extra USB plug from the back of unit has to be routed somehow into the cabin..
I have not finished installation but when I do I will try to update this post.

Work in progress...

Update September 2015:

we have more members join the club and add the pearls of wisdom here since couple months ago
look at the post #2 for the radio reception discussion.

By now almost all the new units have the Quad Core processor which is RK3188 MCU with 16gb memory.

I have signed up as re-seller for Joyous Head units in USA and should be able to offer you discounts or free upgrades depending on the market PM me before you order from
carjoying.com

the original ROM has only 1GB of partition for apps installation vs Malaysk ROM has 2GB in the current version.

I would recommend Malaysk Custom ROM on XDA forums
Quad Cor: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60591423&postcount=12068
Dual Core: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58249825&postcount=7614

Per Joying Android 5 Lollipop is in development for these head units
find the latest Original ROM for your head unit here http://www.carjoying.com/Joying-blog/12.html

Update October 2015:

1) check this out, the XDA memebers are enhancing the
MTC radio and the
MTC Music app.. cool stuff

http://forum.xda-developers.com/and...app-modding-radio-music-movie-kld-jy-t3217197

2) I personally upgraded the SOM in my HU to RK3188, easy process
3 screws to open the metal top of the radio
2 screws to open the old SoM RK3066
plug in the RK3188 and close it up
Boot to recovery and flash the new correct ROM. it is noticably faster and a bit more NAND Flash now.

If anyone need the RK3188 SoM I have them in stock drop me an email.

=================

April 2016 UPDATE

1) JBL HARNESS for Highlander installation
check these posts

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...lation-questions-answers-15.html#post10186505

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vI0yTw...Interface.html?tp=3486&source=pjn&subid=43737

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...lation-questions-answers-15.html#post10161633

2) Android 5.1 has not been released for our model yet. I will announce when it is release. Do not install the ROM 5 update from other models or you will end up with a bricked head unit.

=================

JUN 2016 UPDATE

Added a link above for removing the back up camera from MDF and having it only on the big screen of the head unit as always thanks to sweenyp.

Malaysk ROM 4.4.4 is still the #1 ROM for our units and updated bi weekly almost.

Malyask also has released mtcB android 5.1 ROM that would work on our head units but needs more work as xposed still not working.

See less See more
1 5
#46 ·
OP: What's the different between this 2 Android HU? Will this fit in 2013 Highlander Limited? Do I need additional adopter since my SUV is JBL?
Which one is better or they're the same?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-1-...08.4.25.F1oBIf

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...08.4.11.v9AnYE

I'm interest in Bluetooth to work on iPhone 6, work with factory backup camera, and SWC. My 2013 Highlander came with factory gps and JBL. Any wiring diagram for 2013?

Special Features:DVD Player,Bluetooth,Built-in GPS,Mobile Phone,MP3 Players,Radio Tuner,Touch Screen,TV Placement:Car Console Brand Name:R&S Model Name:1012A Resolution:1024X600 Car Maker:Toyota Out Power:4*45W OSD Language:English Digital Media Format:Mp3,Mp4,WMA,JPEG Display Size:10" Color:Black Voltage:12V Item Weight:3.5 kg Operation System:Android 4.4.2 CPU:Cortex A9 1.6GHz Touch Screen:HD Capacitive Pixels 1024*600 is_customized:Yes

#48 · (Edited)
Get a Joyous Quad core with chip RK3188 and 1024x600 screen
those units are both RK3066 dual core.
dont worry about the android version, that is a software you can change

SWC: you need the canbus I think if your unit comes with Navi.

Bluetooth connection: make sure to ask for the "easy connected" app to be installed and activated on your unit.

Factory backup camera : you have to tap in to the MDF feed and connect the reverse wire.

you can pm me and I will see what prices I can get you.

Wiring diagrams: get your service manual for that year, I dont have it , maybe sweenyp got it.
If you can confirm your car is the same as 2011 you are all set

#49 ·
I might be wrong but I have a strong feeling that I am correct. From 2008 to 2012 the Highlander uses the same radio. The 2013 uses a new design radio. In the 2013, the radio itself is essentially a standard double din radio. From 08-12 the radio was much bigger and the volume and tune knobs were apart of the radio. In the 2013 dash, the two round buttons that look the same as the 08, are not part of the radio but actually indicator lights and nothing to do with the radio. Here are some picture comparing the two standard radios. Maybe, just maybe, you could somehow buy the radio for the 08-2012 model, also buy the hazzard switch and some more parts and retro fit them into the 2013 model car.

2008-2012

#52 ·
the best upgrade for the new HL design is to get a simple double din unit. You can easily find an android unit for it too. Price will be less too since it is more universal compared to the 2009 highlander radio. You can essentially buy ANY double din unit. If you find an android unit that is double din and is plug and play for toyota, then that will be your best bet!

#53 · (Edited)
Can you give one link example. Thanks

Question:
Please see picture. to replace new HU, do i need to replace the whole "red" or just the "yellow"?

I went to auto shop, for iPad in-dash, they est to be about $1600 or more. But they didn't tell me how much they will charge to replace Android. They just told me to buy the HU and they will do the work. Too much for me. Cannot afford.

#62 ·
can somebody explain to me what a double din unit is? I have a 2013 highlander without JBL or Nav but I do have the new design where the two knobs are for the hazard lights and the other is airbag on/off indicator. Im looking to swap this radio out and put in something better. If i go with what King has I wouldn't know how to deal with the hazards and such. O my other option is just to replace the unit and keep everything else stock. Hope this makes sense.

#69 · (Edited)
a few questions:

dual zone - how does it work? my wife would love it if we could pop in a dvd or movie from sd/usb right on the head unit so we didn't have to reach back and try to work the overhead dvd player from the front passenger seat while on road trips. most important (not only to be legal, but also more useful) is the ability to start a movie from the HU then go back to maps on the HU and keep showing the movie on the second output.

has anyone tried using MX Player on this unit? i use it on my phone and tablet because it just works and is very unobtrusive. and it plays just about anything i can throw at it.

boot time - is there a way to keep it "live" all the time, similar to a phone? basically just turn off wifi, screen and amp when you turn off the car, but keep the cpu on, idling, so that there's near zero boot time. seems like this ought to be easy to accomplish since a car has a much bigger battery than a phone or tablet!

steering wheel controls - can you use ALL of them (including maybe the climate controls, since we would rather control fan speed than temp, and we never use auto mode)? definitely interested in being able to use the OE phone buttons in addition to the normal vol/track/up/down/mode buttons. would be really good to be able to use the "talk" button to give voice commands to allow android to interpret however it needs, just like double clicking home on my samsung phone. i can dbl click home and say "call home" or "navigate to (wherever)" and it'll do it.

edit: one more thing... some of these units say they have canbus controller already embedded. does that mean i don't need a "black box" for my existing JBL setup?

#70 ·
a few questions:

dual zone - how does it work? my wife would love it if we could pop in a dvd or movie from sd/usb right on the head unit so we didn't have to reach back and try to work the overhead dvd player from the front passenger seat while on road trips. most important (not only to be legal, but also more useful) is the ability to start a movie from the HU then go back to maps on the HU and keep showing the movie on the second output.

I believe that is exactly how the dual zone system works. The ability to have two different outputs being displayed on two different screens. But I have not used this feature yet since I have no rear screen.

has anyone tried using MX Player on this unit? i use it on my phone and tablet because it just works and is very unobtrusive. and it plays just about anything i can throw at it.
I never heard about the program until now. Next time I get drive the HL, I will try to download the app and use it. But there isnt a reason why that app or any other app on the play store wouldnt work on the android unit.

boot time - is there a way to keep it "live" all the time, similar to a phone? basically just turn off wifi, screen and amp when you turn off the car, but keep the cpu on, idling, so that there's near zero boot time. seems like this ought to be easy to accomplish since a car has a much bigger battery than a phone or tablet!
The boot time isnt much. Not any where as quick as pressing sleep on the phone. If the boot time is a problem then mostly any unit with an operating system will take long to load.

steering wheel controls - can you use ALL of them (including maybe the climate controls, since we would rather control fan speed than temp, and we never use auto mode)? definitely interested in being able to use the OE phone buttons in addition to the normal vol/track/up/down/mode buttons. would be really good to be able to use the "talk" button to give voice commands to allow android to interpret however it needs, just like double clicking home on my samsung phone. i can dbl click home and say "call home" or "navigate to (wherever)" and it'll do it.
I dont have steering wheel controls. But I am pretty sure they will plug directly into the android unit. My specific unit allows the steering wheel buttons to be set and used as essentially what ever you like. I will have to take a picture of the screen and its settings when I remember.

edit: one more thing... some of these units say they have canbus controller already embedded. does that mean i don't need a "black box" for my existing JBL setup?
I am not sure about JBL since I dont have that either.

#81 ·
Can the Brake wire be connected directly to Ground? (RK3066/RK3188 unit) I know that this application would normally be used to bypass the requirement for the parking brake to be engaged to watch DVDs, for my instance it would just be used to prevent having to buy the HL manual to find the brake wire and potentially run a new cable over to the drivers side. I dug through the XDA HuiFei forum and believe that this works, but would like to see if anyone had done it before.

#87 ·
I may not be 100% sure but my unit has an option to either enable or disable the parking function. I did not have the ground the wire and it works fully when driving.

Also, in my other car, I have a clarion unit, which as stated before, did not work just by grounding the parking wire. The unit senses the actual voltage on the parking brake wire and that triggers the unit to know that the parking brake is engaged. Instead of buying a bypass unit, I just made one using a 12v relay. The relay took power from the ACC wire behind the radio and used that to trigger the units computer to think the parking brake is engaged. I initially had a toggle switch to do the part of the relay but then I just did it automatically thru a relay.

#88 ·
Ok so my OEM nav is losing the left channel. About half the time I use it now, the entire left channel won't play, but will kick in as soon as I turn up the volume to 2/3 max...Its getting to the point I think I'm going to replace it. I really don't want to be dumping more money into this car but I want to keep navi so these look like a good solution. Got a few Q's though for those that have used them.

I'm looking at this one with the 1.6Ghz quad: http://www.carjoying.com/joying-201...s-navigation-system-head-unit-support-ip.html

I already know I'll have to get a hazard switch assembly (since its integrated into the OEM navi unit, $115) and new metal brackets ($30), so that adds to the overall cost.

I'm trying keep as much OEM functionality as possible. I have the rear dvd player which can send audio/video to the OEM headunit. I know I can get the video signal to work with this unit, but I've gotta figure out the audio, I think it may be a constant lvl signal. The rear dvd player and OEM nav unit share a digital communication lines and I think volume is sent over that.

Got a few Q's.

That unit comes with the higher res screen. How is the brightness for daytime use?

Has anybody tried a larger than 32gb flash card in it? I'm trying to figure out if its combatable with exfat (32gb+ sd cards). I use a 64GB sd card to store all my music on another android device and it will be very helpful if I can plug it into this headunit. My decision to use these android units is coming down to this feature honestly...

So you can install android apps from the play store normally like any other android device?

Steering wheel controls, are these units automatically set up to handle them? I can't find anything on it.

Anybody integrate these with the OEM rear view camera? I know I can physically wire it, I'm just making sure the video signal is compatible with this unit.

It has a usb port on the back, has anybody plugged in a memory card and sd card simultaneously for data use? If I'm limited to 32gb each, I may do 32gb on each "port" to get 64gb of usable space.

#89 ·
Hey sweeneyp,

This is a great unit and I doubt you would regret it...
you are getting the Quad core (RK3188) with 1024x600 resolution which is as good as it gets for now till RK3288 comes out and that is up-gradable for 75$-120$ usually.

have 70$ on shipping fees on the side in case something in the unit does not work and you have to ship it back. Shipping from USA to china is ridiculous.

once you get your unit installed go to here and install this awesome ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60591423&postcount=12068 from @Malaysk
your unit will be a JY unit (Joyous)

I think the 64GB should work just fine with the newer ROMs but mine is 32GB, however I have a 128GB USB flash drive attached to it which works just fine and it is recognized.

Any app from the play store can be installed on this with no issues.

The brightness is good, I have no issues with it. I cant compare to what you have as my unit just had the basic radio.

for the metal brackets I am not sure why you can not just use the original one that you have in your car, also for the emergency flasher button just use your original, mine fits very nicely (2008 Hybrid highlander)
if you really need it though do not buy it from the dealer, ebay , junk yards should have it and for cheap.

as for your audio question..
look at this picture
http://www.carjoying.com/skin/frontend/rwd/default/images/ebay/JY-TQ135/14.jpg

I do not use the DVD out but I seems like it gives you enough options.

Steering wheel controls is easy, there is an app that helps you set them, mine was preprogrammed and works just fine with the original setting but you can customize them.

I did use my original backup camera , I use the instructions posted somewhere here... just got a feed from the MDF reverse camera and connected the backup detection line to the unit.. works great,
when in reverse the MDF and the big screen both show the backup camera.
you do not have to wait for the android system to load for the backup camera to work.

as I said you can connect any USB storage to those USB ports,

just a point the USB ports do not have enough amp to charge your phone I think they are like .5 or .7amp my phone shows charging but after 2 hours it is dead.

if you decide to pull the trigger let me know and I check if I can get you better pricing.

#91 ·
I forgot which one I had but I know with jbl your gonna need canbus wiring. As for brightness goes I had mine turn all the way up and during day time still had a little problem when sun hit it just right but. I suppose you can get one of those anti-glare stickers. If I'm not mistake mine was kitkat4.4.4 with rk3066 with 1.6ghz a9 dual core processor. I got mine on Amazon for 500 something wiring was a joke the seller was a joke had me wait weeks for a new wiring harness. I ended up wring it myself with reverse wiring and couple after market stuff for steering wheel control and antenna. Biggest thing I hated about it was stereo function it had ""custom eq"" preset couldn't really tune it as well as I did on the fly with a real eq but I'm sure that can be fixed. I dunno all in all it was a decent system if I had the money I would just get a 9" alpine call it a day.

#93 ·
Seems most of the answers were answered regarding the android unit. I have a different unit but should be the same in many ways.

Brightness; I wish it could go a little brighter because when driving with the sun glaring on the screen, it is hard to see. At night time it is great.

OBD; I use torque mainly on the unit connected with a bluetooth adapter. It works and so do all the other android apps. I have watched anything from youtube, to stream music to surfing the web.

Video; most of the units have a video in which you should be able to utilize. The unit also has a video out if your rear monitors have a video in.

Steering wheel controls; I dont have any but looking through the unit, it has a program to configure the controls.

This is my unit in case anybody is wondering.

#94 ·
It looks to me like you have the exact model as mine, the dual core with RK3066 MCU.

He is getting the same thing with quad core RK3188 MCU.

you should try a custom ROM from Malaysk at xda

do you have the high resolution screen 1200x600 ?

mine is high res. and the brightness is good.

#100 ·
OK, just to try to help people who end up going through the shenanigans I've had too figuring this out, here is some info.

Note this applies for JBL Nav to this unit only. Also worth noting I'm essentially ditching the entire JBL system as I have a full system outside of it.

So first off, wiring. This isn't plug-n-play in anyway shape or form. I'll put it this way, take a look below:

The center is the harness for the android headunit. Its meant to correspond to the pins on the left (non-jbl headunit). The right shows the only navigation pins that correspond. So yeah, essentially every single wire is going to have to be rewired plus about 15 others for other features.

So beyond every wire being redone, some extra stuff...
Rear view camera: get a 6V DC-to-DC converter, the navi unit powers it (via 6V) and you must make a new power source for this. Otherwise RCA'ing the video wires is the same as mentioned earlier in this thread.

You need the hazard button switch assembly that comes with the non-jbl system. The part number looks like 840100E050C0 for anti-theft and black trims. I'm not positive yet, I'll see when I get the part in hand.

You also need the non-navigation side brackets, they are 8621248070 & 8621148070.

If your integrating it into your OEM jbl setup, you need an adapter, they run ~$100.

Anyway, here is the navi pinout to help anyone out. Its the barebone wires, XM/Sat adds a lot more.

#108 ·
That will not look OEM in our car, but this one has HD radio.
also that looks like it runs wince not android
a non OEM fit 2 din unit with wince should go for 200$ from china I think.

I would still go with mine because android OS and apps gives you unlimited possibilities beside the original looking trim arround it.

#111 · (Edited)
thanks for posting it, I would love to see more options out there
never heard of QNX before...

Yeah, no need for the canbus adapter for the JBL.

It looks like there's no need for an adapter for the steering wheel controls. They use varying voltages on 2 lines to control the buttons on the steering wheel. This unit has input for 2 lines and uses an ADC to determine voltages on those lines to determine what was pressed (after configured of course). Should work just fine.

Yeah, but the dash kits look absolutely terrible on the HL. I would rather pay $4700 for a new OEM nav unit than put one of those kits in my car :lol: (not that I would)

Thanks for explaining the steering wheel buttons, makes sense.

the trim that comes with joyous unit is not the exact color match but it looks really good specially with all the different color lights in it, I chose rainbow and it lights up in different color, the kids still go crazy over it in the car lol

#116 ·
sorry I was confused, Joyous is android base and will not run on any other OS,
Android Auto is an app that can run on any android 5.0 and up, Joyous right now has Android 4.4.4, the android 5.0 is to be released by the end of the year and should be compatible with all the current devices.

they have apps that mirros the screen of the iOS devices on to the Head unit screen, that is what I was referring to.

#118 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.