Toyota Nation Forum banner

2010 highlander limited--humming/whining noise in the drive train

12K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Greasymechtech 
#1 ·
it became an issue within a day, and the sound is pervasive at all speeds, and whether I'm coasting or accelerating. thinking it's the UV joints or differential. seems to be a little louder on right rear side. it's not a wheel bearing. went to the Toyota dealership service, and they took it for a drive, and put it up on the lift, and saw no issues. I was told to keep driving it until the noise increases, and they can then identify the issue. but the noise is awful! Ideas for next steps?

#3 ·
Start with simply stuff. If AWD, drain/refill the rear differential, the transfer case, and the transmission. Drainplug magnets and fluid visual condition might hint at issue or simply rule out those components.

Microphone at each wheel to see if its wheel bearing. But, a competent tech should be able to spin the wheel and hear/feel for irregularities and rock/wobble for wheel bearing looseness, binding, or crunchiness, along with feeling for excessive temp after a drive.

Unless a boot is leaking or torn, I wouldn't worry about CV's until mileage is pretty high.

Not much you can do for the u-joints. There are a few shops that rebuild the driveshafts with greaseable/replaceable ujoints. And, the axle support bearings are another available changeable part. Dealer driveshafts require 1st born sacrifices to profit gods at Toyota.

I'm at 150k with original wheel bearings/ujoints/CVs..... with just some normal 4wd driveline slack and transmission whine easily ignored via stereo volume. The driveline slack/clunk will eventually convince me to pull the driveshafts out for u-joint and support bearing replacement.

Dealer is waiting for catastrophic failure. I would get a 2nd opinion from an indie ASAP. Don't want a wheel bearing or U-joint or transfer case or rear diff cv joint letting go on the highway. Too bad that they can't OBD techstream scan for 'noises'. Since there is no SES/CEL code, then the whine/hum isn't real :lol:

Rotate tires since hum can come from a bad tire and check their PSI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.