Toyota Nation Forum banner

Do the console P-R-N-D shift indicators have a light bulb?

15K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  G2Ken 
#1 ·
I have a recently acquired 2013 HL Limited, AWD, V6, w/NAV. Just noticed that the shift indicators in the console are not lit up at night, when the lights are on. I can see the gearshift position in the instrument cluster. In every vehicle I've owned with a console AT shifter, these indicators were illuminated at night. Are they supposed to be illuminated in the 13 HL? If yes, is there a DIY to replace the bulb?
Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks! This means there is a bulb under the console top or lens, as opposed to a bulb overhead, shining down on the shifter area. BTW - I'm assuming the cover is a rubbery material. I've removed those type of covers on bulbs by using a small opened up paper clip to slide in between the cover and the bulb to "release" it. Comes off easy once you release it from the bulb. IF it's the same style of cover.

Is there a DIY anywhere on console dis-assembly to get to the bulb?

#7 ·
Yeah, its one of those rubbery green covers. The thing was, the type 74 bulb diameter is slightly bigger (it fits in the electrical plug just fine) and it ripped the cover while trying to get it on. it mostly still works :lol:

Anyway, remove the panel with the aux in/12V, you can stick your finger in between the steering column and the far left edge and pull, hard. It takes a LOT of force to break the snap in fasteners free. Once you get the corner off, work your way around to the other side beign careful not to pry to much, its somewhat fragile. You don't want to snap it.

Reach into the hole and grab and lift straight up to get the main center console free. There is a single plug near my hand. The shifter will have to be in N (or just nto park) to it off.

You'll have access to the shifter.

Look at the image below, that's the tiny bulb in the bottom left corner

It twists into the shifter assembly, and in the back left (driver side) of the assembly, near the top. I can't remember if you have to take the top cover off to get acces or not, but if you do, its just 4 clips one on each corner. Pry one side lose and work your way around, it just pops off.

#8 ·
I have taken both off but the one in the over head is already led. What I did to the overhead was drill a slightly bigger hole and more light shine through. As for the center console, it was quite easy takes 30 min with reassembly. It took me long the first time because I was fascinated by how much room was under there so I ran majority of my rca and speaker wires in through there.

#9 ·
I have taken both off but the one in the over head is already led. What I did to the overhead was drill a slightly bigger hole and more light shine through.
The shifter area in my 13 Ltd has no illumination whatsoever. None from below, under the P-R-N-D indicators, and none from above. I know now there is a bulb below that I need to replace. Is there another bulb above? There are 2 push courtesy lights in the overhead console, and a little rectangular slot between them. Is that where another bulb, that shines down, is located?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.