Toyota Nation Forum banner

New owner upgrade questions

3K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  hman88 
#1 · (Edited)
Good day everyone, my name is Halston and I'm new to the Toyota Nation forum. My wife and I recently acquired a 2008 Toyota Highlander hybrid with the limited trim package. The vehicle has 135,000 miles with one previous owner and all service performed and recorded online by our local Toyota dealer. I was able to log onto Toyota's website using my vehicles Vin and successfully view all the service records since the vehicles very first oil change.

The vehicle was recently serviced according to Toyotas records but I would kind of prefer to flush the engine oil myself using 0w-20, and change out the transmission fluid. I did not see any records indicating the spark plugs were previously changed so I will also swap out the spark plugs using the Denso (3297) SK20R11 Iridium Spark Plug.
Has anyone swapped out their own spark plugs? Seems like the Hybrid model have fewer intake parts to remove in order to access the rear plugs.

I will also inspect the coolant and brake fluid.

So far the only thing I wish the vehicle had is an ability to stream music via Bluetooth. After doing a little research I found a device that should allow me to do so: USA SPEC BT45-TOY Bluetooth Phone, Music & AUX Input Kit for Select 1998-2014 Toyota & Lexus Models
Does anyone have any experience with this and or similar devices?

I also plan on replacing the dash and door speakers using:
Powerbass S-275CF 2.75-Inch Full Range OEM Speakers, Set of 2
Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair, Silver)
Polk Audio DB651 6.5"/6.75" 2-Way Marine Certified db Series Car Speakers with Liquid Cooled Silk Tweeters
Does anyone know how this speaker configuration might perform with the factory JBL/Navigation head unit?
I purchased the speaker and wire adapters from Metra to ensure a clean seamless install.

I will also be installing a hitch/receiver and wiring T-connector:
CURT 13534 Class III Receiver
CURT 56217 Wiring T-Connector
Does anyone have any experience with this receiver and or connector?

I also plan on installing a hood and window deflectors:
Auto Ventshade 25032 Bugflector II Hood Shield
Auto Ventshade 194063 In-Channel Ventvisor Window Deflector, 4 Piece
Does anyone have experience/input with deflectors?

Lastly, I am interested in learning more about overriding the Nav/head-unit restrictions when the vehicle is in motion. If you can help point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking a moment out of your day to read my post and provide any insights and or feedback regarding the information I put forth. I look forward to talking with the rest of you and sharing our experiences.

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome:

Can't comment on hybrid plug change, on gas models the cowl and intake need to come off to access the rear bank.

Audio...
The JBL system is a PITA to upgrade. The front door speakers only get bass, up to around 500hz. The dash speakers get around 250hz and up. They are both 2 ohm. You need a signal summer and an amp if you plan to put a full change in the doors. So just FYI when you try to do the front speakers. The rears get a full signal.

I've used that hitch and harness. The harness is a no questions asked plug in, works fine after years. I spliced it into my 7-pin connector setup, still no issues. I've also used that hitch. I did swapp it out for a stronger (higher rated) Reese hitch I got for a steal on craigslist since I was towing over the vehicle rating. There have been posts years ago (on an travel trailer forum) with the Curt hitch failing when towing a travel trailer where it goes over the exhaust. Since I was dealing with ~600-625lb tongue weights, I didn't want to risk it. Also if you plan to use a weight distributing hitch, the curt isn't rated for it.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=1188

#3 · (Edited)
So far the only thing I wish the vehicle had is an ability to stream music via Bluetooth. After doing a little research I found a device that should allow me to do so: USA SPEC BT45-TOY Bluetooth Phone, Music & AUX Input Kit for Select 1998-2014 Toyota & Lexus Models
Does anyone have any experience with this and or similar devices?
For my 2009 Highlander with JBL Nav, I considered the Bluetooth option you list but ended up going with a cheaper/ simpler solution that did not require major installation, the AmazonBasics Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver for $20:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I59VBH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is not designed originally for car audio so if you try this, you will also need a 4.0X1.7mm barrel jack to USB cord with car charger to provide power. I bought this one for the cord and already had a simple USB car charger:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5KQD5I/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The positive to this Bluetooth adapter is that it aggressively connects to a phone instantly - and every single time- after being paired the first time. It just works with no fiddling or connection issues. The audio quality is also the best I have heard from a Bluetooth adapter. I first tried an adapter/ car charger all-in-one type unit that was never consistent in connecting and which was very low in volume, TaoTronics Bluetooth Receiver / Car Kit. I don't recommend it.

The downside to the Amazon Bluetooth adapter - which I believe your solution would avoid- are that it will only remember one connected phone at a time and that the wires might bother some (cord going to the AUX in and cord going to car charger). The side plastic pocket just to the right of where a drivers knee would be is a perfect spot to put the bluetooth adapter box. One other thing to mention is that because my Android phone sees the Amazon Bluetooth adapter as just a media bluetooth unit, there is no issue with automatic connections to both this for music and the built in Toyota Bluetooth for phone. The other device I mentioned above also had issues interfering with the Toyota Bluetooth phone.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the prompt response @sweeneyp! I have read several of your threads already. Thank you for taking time to document and share your experiences with the public.

I found a video on youtube that covers the plug swap for the Hybrid, and from what I can tell it does appear to be nearly identical which is good!

I definitely need to do more research in regards to the audio configuration. So if I understand correctly the 3-way speakers I plan to put in the front would be severely under utilized because there is some sort of filtering going on with each of channels in the dash and and front door speakers? I did see your write up for installing the aftermarket amplifiers. It is a lot to absorb haha. I don’t know if I’m ready to tackle that project but if it is the only way to get full range and power to the speakers I guess it must be done. I wonder if it would be worth it to see if Geek Squad would do the install for their advertised price of $120 for a 4 channel amp. It is always hard pay someone to do something I can do on a weekend with a little research and due diligence. Thank you for noting the specs/ranges. I see this post now (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...2013/1422194-replace-jbl-aftermarket-one.html)/(http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ce-jbl-system-while-keeping-oem-headunit.html)/(http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2013/392031-toyota-jbl-system-specs.html). I will continue looking into this!

I believe that hitch/receiver was the heaviest duty bolt on one they make and or that I could find. We don’t plan on really towing any trailers but if the money is going to spent might as well get something a little more capable. Was slicing in the 7 pin connector pretty easy? I’m sure I can find a thread that covers it somewhere out there. Just curious what model Reese hitch/receiver did you install?

Thank you for sharing your DIY/build @gibran! That is a pretty clever alternative. I was able to get the recently purchased device (USA SPEC BT45-TOY) installed without any issues after watching a youtube video on removing the factory radio/head unit. Everything went together perfectly! I have the device set to use the SAT mode. As soon as I turn on the vehicle the Bluetooth connects and my music app continues playing where it left off. The most important thing for me was to retain the steering wheel button/functions. I have tested both mine and my wife's phones without any issues. Another plus with this device is that it has a built in USB charging port so I do not have to have a USB charger plugged into the console. Plus I convinced the wife to go half on it since she will be the one driving it most haha. If you haven’t done a write up on you DIY/build I’m sure many people would find it useful and more cost effective! That is good use of that little pocket!

#5 ·
Thank you for sharing your DIY/build @gibran! That is a pretty clever alternative. I was able to get the recently purchased device (USA SPEC BT45-TOY) installed without any issues after watching a youtube video on removing the factory radio/head unit. Everything went together perfectly! I have the device set to use the SAT mode. As soon as I turn on the vehicle the Bluetooth connects and my music app continues playing where it left off. The most important thing for me was to retain the steering wheel button/functions. I have tested both mine and my wife's phones without any issues. Another plus with this device is that it has a built in USB charging port so I do not have to have a USB charger plugged into the console. Plus I convinced the wife to go half on it since she will be the one driving it most haha. If you haven’t done a write up on you DIY/build I’m sure many people would find it useful and more cost effective! That is good use of that little pocket!
Your solution is much better than what I have used and I may have to take the plunge at some point and do the same. A few questions...does the BT45-TOY remember both phones automatically and are you able to fast forward/ reverse tracks streamed over bluetooth from your phone with the steering wheel controls? That would be a huge plus. Also, no issues with Toyota bluetooth phone use or connections? Thanks.

#13 ·
Sorry, a forum glitch locked me out of the forum for a few days.

Honestly, I'd add a set of tweeters similar to this: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...8-2013/376425-adding-high-our-jbl-system.html
That's add high's up front, its not practical to upgrade the rest of the system unless your going full out. Doing it piece by piece doesn't work well, ask how I know :lol: If you add an amp, it has to be AFTER the JBL amp and using speaker level inputs. You'd also have to have a signal summer to combine the frotn signals into 1. That sounds terrible as I think the ratio of the 2 signals changes based on your speed. (The amp and radio get a speed signal and alter the sound based on that). Simply put, it usually sounds like garbage, its why I completely ripped out my JBL system and have a full aftermarket system.

You can't run the JBL headunit without the JBL amplfiier as there is a digital CAN network between the 2. Just FYI. You can use an aftermarket radio with a ~$50 adapter with the JBL amp, but no options for replacing teh JBL amp. Also JBL speakers are low impedance for the front and rear sub, and low power. You'd likely blow them if you don't set the gains correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.