power back door - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM
waited 9 weeks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA power back door

Hi! I'm a newbie, waited for my hi ltd for 9 weeks and finally got last week, i'm enjoying every minute of it. One question though, I've notice the power lift gate, when I pushed the button (at he back door) to open it up, the lock disengages but the door doesn't lift at all. Is this normal or I'm doing something wrong? It opens fine when i used the control from the inside of the car and from the remote though.

Highlander BLACK Limited ----AWD, Ash Leather seats, remote start, Nav System, 10" Rear DVD DIO, bluetooth, heated seats, dual temp, power rear door, smart keys, valor exhaust, moonroof, floor mats 3 rows...... + guapo on board ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's normal operation.

Repeating myself here but be advised that if you lock your HL and then open the lift gate it unlocks ALL of the doors and they do not relock when you close the lift gate. You have to press the lift gate lock button (you can feel it to the right of where you unlock the lift gate) to relock the doors or use the key fob or the lock button on the front doors.

They will not relock when the lift gate is closed

2008 Highlander Limited AWD, Silver, SmartKey, VSC/TRAK, Bluetooth, Remote Start, No Nav, Tow package/hitch/color matched fascia, roof rack cross rails, Color keyed mud guards, Camry trumpet horns

Last edited by summerwind; 12-19-2007 at 09:45 AM.
#3 Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
New TN User

Rear lift gate

I may be wrong but I think the FOB and interior switch are the only ways to use the power lift gate/door, at least that has been my experience. There is a switch on the gate/door to close with the power lift. It's locate on the bottom edge of the gate/door I think.
#4 Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 PM
New TN User

HI. As Kingfisher49 says, there are only two ways to operate the power gate/door. The button you are pushing is to unlock the window in the power tail gate. It can be opened by itself. Hope this helps..
Joe
#5 Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On a "related" note, I had a recent issue with my power tailgate which puzzled me. Everything was working fine with the power tailgate for about 2 weeks after I got my '08 HL and then the power tailgate would not function. If I hit the tailgate button on the remote, pressed the tailgate button near the steering wheel or hit the "tailgate close" button on the bottom of the tailgate, the car would beep twice and then do nothing. So....if I wanted to open or close the power tailgate without manually opening/closing it, I just got 2 beeps from the car and no automatic opening/closing of the tailgate.

The problem turned out to be with a master tailgate "on/off" switch which is located on the inside-left of the glove compartment. My glove compartment is a bit misaligned and snags a bit on the left side when I attempt to close it. I'm guessing I accidentally hit the on/off switch for the tailgate when I was closing the glove compartment. In any event, I pressed that button and then tried my power tailgate functions - all of them work just fine.

#6 Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobaby View Post
On a "related" note, I had a recent issue with my power tailgate which puzzled me. Everything was working fine with the power tailgate for about 2 weeks after I got my '08 HL and then the power tailgate would not function. If I hit the tailgate button on the remote, pressed the tailgate button near the steering wheel or hit the "tailgate close" button on the bottom of the tailgate, the car would beep twice and then do nothing. So....if I wanted to open or close the power tailgate without manually opening/closing it, I just got 2 beeps from the car and no automatic opening/closing of the tailgate.

The problem turned out to be with a master tailgate "on/off" switch which is located on the inside-left of the glove compartment. My glove compartment is a bit misaligned and snags a bit on the left side when I attempt to close it. I'm guessing I accidentally hit the on/off switch for the tailgate when I was closing the glove compartment. In any event, I pressed that button and then tried my power tailgate functions - all of them work just fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware that there was any switch in the glove box.
#7 Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
New TN User

Smile

Push The Unlock Button Under The Highlander Emblem. This Unlocks The Large Hatch Then Give A Gentle Tug On Bottom Of Hatch And It Will Raise By Its Self. The Black Button On The Highland Emblem Is For The Glass Hatch Only. You Have Two Switches Under The Highland Emblem ,one On The Left Unlocks,round Button Right Locks, Switch Of Botton Of Hatch Is For Clsing But No Lock. Now If I Have Confused Everyone. I,ll Go Back To My Rum And Coke.
#8 Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Official TN Member

This is an old thread, but if you push the rubber button under the hatch handle, and hold it in for about 3 seconds, the hatch will open automatically. Likewise, while the hatch is opened, if you press the button and hold it for about 3 seconds, the hatch will close automatically.
#9 Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftydad View Post
This is an old thread, but if you push the rubber button under the hatch handle, and hold it in for about 3 seconds, the hatch will open automatically. Likewise, while the hatch is opened, if you press the button and hold it for about 3 seconds, the hatch will close automatically.

Humm...Doesn't work that way on my HL Limited.

The rubber button under the hatch handle only unlocks the door on mine.

I tried your comment for 10 seconds and nothing happened.

Am I the only one without this capability??

2008 Highlander Limited AWD, Silver, SmartKey, VSC/TRAK, Bluetooth, Remote Start, No Nav, Tow package/hitch/color matched fascia, roof rack cross rails, Color keyed mud guards, Camry trumpet horns

Last edited by summerwind; 06-11-2008 at 04:55 PM.
#10 Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Official TN Member

mine used to work like that when i first bought it....held the rubber button and the gate would raise...but now it doesn't work like that anymore...it just unlocks it and i have to manually open it....strange...
#11 Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Official TN Member

Hmmmm.... I 'knew' the door did the automatic lift thing when pressing the rubber button for several seconds..... but when I tested it out last night, it would not auto-open... so either something is awry, or my memory is fading fast... I could have sworn it auto-opened using the rubber button... but I tried the left side, the right side, tried several times, and nada... it just opens up and sits there. ????

Sorry for the confusion... unless something is messed up...
#12 Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Official TN Member

looks like we are all having the same issue...
#13 Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior TN Member

Maybe you should suggest it to Toyota.

It would be a great additional feature

#14 Old 06-13-2008, 02:21 PM
New TN User

working on it

For opening back door,I tried it yesterday and did not work. But then, I notcied while hatch was fully open there is big black rubber pad of approx 1"x 2" on left hand size ( Driver side) at bottom of back door (not where camera and other push button located). Just look right at bottom of door. I just pushed it fro 1-2 seconds and wow the door closed automatically.I have highlander ltd. I am still looking for opening issues.
#15 Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Top End Kluger

The rear power door does not power open with the rear door switch under the name badge. This switch only unlocks door, you then pull door out by a foot or two and door will open by itself with springs. This is quite clear in the owners manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)