How to: Sirius Radio installation - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to: Sirius Radio installation

If you're considering tackling the Sirius radio installation kit yourself. You need to read this! This instructions from Toyota or misleading in parts and completely wrong on the installation underneath the driver seat.

Here's another thing to consider. I have a Sirius StarMate receiver which buffers the signal to hide interruptions from going under obstructions like bridges and overpasses. If not crawling in traffic, it covers the drops. HOWEVER - Factory installed satellite radios do NOT buffer. I verified this with Sirius tech support today. I went under an overpass at 70 and the signal was audibly interrupted. Couldn't believe it. That is about as bad as the NAV system being so crippled while driving. While the factory satellite radio is a cleaner install, I probably won't do this option again unless this issue is addressed.

It took me 4-5 hours to complete this install. I think it would have been 3-4 without photos and documentation. Dealer quoted me $250 for installation of the radio. Afterwards, I'm on the fence about whether or not I'd do it myself again.

Tools needed - Needle nose, wire cutters, 10mm and 14mm sockets wrenches, razor blade, nnd Nylon tools. You DEFINITELY need nylon tools for this job. I used Eastwood Master Install Nylon Pry tool kit 43459.
They recommend using masking tape to cover the adjacent areas you're going to be bumping and hitting during removal. I recommend 2" blue painters tape as a much better alternative.

I'm working from the 18 page install guide on techinfo.toyota.com.
First off - get the interior warmed up. Run the car while getting started to bring interior temperature up to 75.

On page 3 in side 2a, here's what the scuff plate looks like after removal to better locate the claws.
I didn't use pry tools in this step.

On Page 4 - The front pillar garnish removal is the worst part of this whole removal process. Again, I didn't use pry tools here, it pops off easy. Clip B is your enemy. If you want to save a lot of time and hassle, buy Clip B (P/N 90950-08005) ahead of the install and just cut it off during removal. If you want to do it the hard way, the instructions say use needle nose to twist the clip, but I could only get a screw driver to move clip properly during removal. The space is too tight to maneuver needle nose.
*It is not noted in the guide, but you should tape the top of the dash just in front of the pillar garnish.

Page 5, removal of instrument panel finish panel lower. It isn't noted, but the steering column should be taped to prevent scratches.
The arrows is fig 2-9 would lead you to believe the panel should be moved towards passenger side, but pull panel directly back towards driver's seat is the correct removal. No pry tools needed here.

Here are some pics of my tape job -

On page 6, removal of integration panel, I had stress marks from removal. This one is the hardest to remove. It DOES require nylon tool.
I started on the left. The first two claws popped so easily that it stressed the claws just right of the START button.

Also, on Page 6, they totally skipped the steps for removing the temperature controls. Luckily, these pull out easy with bare hands and only have 3 wire harness connections.

In step J on page 6, the only nylon tool that works is the flat tongue depressor type shown in this blurry picture. The top right corner is where I had luck starting the removal. Not the location of the clips in this picture.

Bottom of Page 6 - removal of radio. I have JBL + NAV. This unit has 9 connections on the back and weighs nearly 20 pounds. This is the one step where it would help to have a spare set of hands. When you plug in the radio, there will be a total of 10 connections. Make sure you count 10 connections, plus the connection for the small info screen (11th) when reconnecting everything.

Page 7. I left the driver seat removal for last since this is only done to mount the satellite receiver. You don't need to fully remove the seat, just remove the bolts and lean back. I found by recline the backrest just short of 45 degrees, allowed me to keep the power connections to the seat connected while keeping the seat leaned out of the way.

Page 8-9 - routing tuner cable. The pics in guide make more sense once you're working on your car.

Page 10 - mounting antenna. In this cold weather, clean a spot either on the left or right of the rear view mirror. The temp needs to be at least 60 for antenna to stick. I cleaned with Windex, then ran the blow dryer on the glass AND the antenna so both were nice and warm.
The image in 4-2 is misleading. It looks like you should use the narrow white tape strips, but the wide black ones are suppsed to be used. I use the white ones before I caught the mistake. To me, they worked better.

Page 11 first step d- removal of weather strip isn't necessary. You can work around it.

After bringing cables down to the drive seat location, I reinstalled the radio head unit and powered up to make sure everything was working before going any further. After I verified the radio, I proceeded to remove the driver seat.

Here's where things get ugly and it becomes obvious the toyota document was not tested. The template has you cut two slits using the provided template. The mounting bracket the Sirius receiver sits on has legs that are over an inch wide, yet somehow you're supposed to fit the bracket under the carpet all while double side tape is attached to the bottom and NOT get it stuck in the car of the insulation under the carpet. It DOES NOT WORK.

On the side closest to the heat vent shown in pic above, I cut a 1inch to get the mount under the carpet. I couldn't get the tape to stick to the uneven metal underneath and the insulation under the carpet also would stick to the tape. I ended up putting foam on the bottom of the mounting brackets and made sure the insulation was UNDER the bracket so I didn't have metal on metal banding around.
Also in the documentation they think the bracket mounts the connectors on the left and right side, but it actually mounts the connections front and back of the unit.
Here's my finale pic.

THIS IS WHERE I NEED SOME HELP. I'm considering dumping the mounting bracket and screw the radio directly thru the carpet and into the body. Is this a bad idea? I've never mounted an amp before so I'm looking for some suggestions since Toyota's theory on tape to an uneven, hidden surface isn't working. For now the cuts in the carpet are holding the satellite receiver in place.

Hope this helps you make a decision on your Sirius install.
Gary

Gary
'01 Highlander Sport 4x4
'08 Highlander Limited 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2008, 03:02 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are there any grounding issues if you do mount directly to the metal body?

Great photos, keep em coming! Just fyi, if your camera has a Macro feature, it may help with those really close up shots.
#3 Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
New TN User

Did you mount your antenna on the windsheild as depicted in TIS or did you mount it elsewhere? Thanks!
#4 Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Where I mounted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdatwork View Post
Did you mount your antenna on the windsheild as depicted in TIS or did you mount it elsewhere? Thanks!
Close - I mounted on the left since I already had a toll device mounted on the passenger side. The thing I don't like about just pushing the antenna cable into the liner is the rattle on old highways where the road is constantly rolling. The cable starts to rattle since it just sit in the liner.

I'm trying to think of a way to attach something sticky to the cable that runs in the liner so that it stays in place better. I'm hesitant to pull the liner down since I've never done it before.

Right now, I just up the stereo louder.

Gary
'01 Highlander Sport 4x4
'08 Highlander Limited 4x4
#5 Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Official TN Member

Thanks for the write up... After looking at this I'm not sure I even want my dealer to tear my vehicle apart to install the Sirius set up... Maybe my portable will be fine, just didn't like having to dig it out and have the wires hanging out all over the place.

2011 Lexus CT200h (Hybrid)
2010 Prius IV (Wife's Hybrid)
08 Highlander Hybrid Limited (SOLD)

Batteries are included with both Hybrids
#6 Old 04-30-2009, 04:47 PM
New TN User

The EASY Sirius install...

No need to go through everything written up on this - I just installed it in under 1/2 hour - it may not be 'by the Toyota book' but it works, looks professional, and avoids all the possible stress cracks and scratching of the dash components. Basically, you mount it by simply removing the glove box...

This was on a non-nav 08 Highlander with JBL. Not sure if you have similar access to a nav head unit.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the hinged part of the glove box as if you are replacing the cabin air filter.
2. Lift the inside sill plate and remove the screw on the passenger kick panel and remove it. There are two 10mm bolts at the bottom and 3 screws at the top of the glove box frame that need removed. Carefully pull the frame straight out - there are clips on the left and right - the left side near the radio were tight but came out without a problem or damage. You can now access the back if the radio.
3. There is a plug on the back of the radio on the side near the glove box. Right next to it and hidden from view, but still accessible, is the plug for the Sirius cable. Plug the cable in to the radio and secure with zip ties.
4. Behind the glove box and to the right is a nice flat surface on the side of the vehicle's computer. I put two strips of 3M double sided weatherstrip tape directly on the control box and mounted it. I put a large zip tie around it just in case. Plug the other end of the cable into the control box. (Throw away the unnecessary mounting bracket that comes in the kit.)
5. Mount the antenna above the right of the rear view mirror and run the cable down the right windshield pillar and to the Sirius box. Plug this cable in!
6. Put everything back together and you're done!!!
7. Enjoy satellite!

Couldn't be easier - why they made it so complicated is beyond me! I've mounted this in a similar way in an 07 Avalon and an 07 Solara in and it's been working fine for a couple of years now.

Sorry I didn't take pictures, but if you're intimidated by these instructions, you probably shouldn't be trying to install it yourself anyway... Siriusly!!

Last edited by nowlen; 05-11-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: clarification
#7 Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
New TN User

Has anyone else tried nowlen's method of installing a Sirius or XM tuner behind the JBL audio unit, with access through the glovebox, rather than under the driver's seat? It sure sounds a lot simpler than removing the driver's seat, several trim panels, dropping the knee air bag, pulling the audio unit and snaking several feet of audio cable, as called for by the factory instructions. Can't think of any downside, other that additional heat buildup and/or interference with some of the electronics already stowed in that space.

Sounds like he connected the JBL unit to the Sirius/XM tuner with the same long cable included with the $90 fit kit (part no. PT546-48080). Not sure yet how much room there is behind the JBL, but that's a lot of cable to coil up and stow in that space. Has anyone tried to directly connect the tuner to the JBL unit with the cables (presumably) extending from the rear of the JBL itself?

Finally, my '09 HL Ltd. claims to be pre-wired for XM, and has a "sharkfin" antenna on the roof. I assume that the antenna cable terminates in the same area behind the JBL unit, and either will plug directly into the XM tuner, or into one end of the fit kit cable. Am I correct?
#8 Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 AM
New TN User

It's been nearly 2 months since my install in the Highlander and no problems. The part number for the install kit I used is PTS31-48080 and included the cable, antenna, and mounting bracket for the Sirius install. I suspect it is different for the XM and/or a vehicle that is already equipped with an antenna but it will still plug into the same place in the back of the head unit.

My primary reason for going through the glove box is because of the horror stories and warnings I've read with cracking, scratching, nicking or putting stress marks in the dash components while trying to removing them. I was simply trying to avoid making a mark that would annoy me every time I look at it and the glove box seemed a logical start.

Yes, the cable is long, but there's a lot of empty space in the console below the JBL head unit. You will have no problem coiling it up and zip tying it to the dashboard supports. I think a bigger problem for you is that the pre-installed sharkfin antenna probably terminates under the seat where the factory expects you to install the satellite receiver. The satellite antenna plugs into the receiver, NOT the JBL head unit. My method of getting to the back of the receiver through the glove box will still work if you want to install the unit under the driver seat. You will just need to route the cable to the satellite receiver. I think you will probably get better reception with the sharkfin than the windshield antenna which looses signal more than I would like.

BTW, my 07 Solara convertible came new with the Sirius option already installed and the satellite receiver was mounted behind the dash, not under the seat. I did not order it and was not charged for it... bonus! While setting up the radio I got a message on the display so I called the dealer and asked how to set up the satellite. They assured me my vehicle did not come with satellite. I stopped by the dealer a few days later and they were surprised that it was, in fact, in the car, but nobody could explain how it got there! This was a new vehicle with 14 miles on it, so it was not a previous owner. Go figure! That was my first experience with satellite and I now a convert and have it in all 3 of my Toyotas. I have seen the satelLITE! Get it? Sorry!
#9 Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM
New TN User

Warning

If you are going to attempt this install in any manner please be sure to disconnect the battery and wait 90 seconds so that you don't inadvertently short something out or set off an airbag. It is step no. 1 in the Toyota installation instructions and is a good idea anytime you're playing around electronics especially on an airbag equipped vehicle. In the example illustrated previously in this thread, it appears that step was skipped since the Nav and info display are on during some of the install... even worse since the vehicle was on and the circuitry behind the dash was energized!

Last edited by nowlen; 06-15-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: correct spelling
#10 Old 06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
New TN User

Thanks for the advice, nowlen. You're right: if the cable from the new sharkfin antenna terminates by the driver's seat, that'll mean putting the XM tuner under the seat after all, or running an antenna extension cable from there to the rear of the JBL head, which would cancel out some of the labor savings of your method. I suppose it's at least possible that the antenna cable from the sharkfin terminates behind the JBL head, and that the revised '09 fit kit cable bundle includes an antenna extension cable from there to the driver's seat. How's that for wishful thinking? Once I receive the tuner and fit kit just ordered from toyotapartsdelivered, I'll pull the glovebox to see exactly what's now behind the JBL heads. Whether the sharkfin cable terminates there or by the driver's seat, at least I should be spared the additional effort and risk of pulling the driver's side front pillar garnish to run the antenna cable from the front windshield down the pillar to whereever.

Another question is whether Toyota ever revised the installation instructions to reflect the addition of the sharkfin antenna on the 09's? The instructions that are posted on this site are dated 5/17/07. I can either wait to see what (if any) instructions come with the updated fit kit, or buy a two day subscription and hope that more current instructions can be downloaded from Toyota's techinfo site.

Congratulations on your free satellite radio on the Solara! Either you must be living a good clean life, or one of your friends punk'd you with an elaborate hoax while you were asleep....
#11 Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
New TN User

Thanks nowlen!

My wife and I recently purchased a 2009 Highlander Sport with the JBL in-dash 6CD changer and no NAV. The specs said XM satellite radio ready. The dealer told me it would cost about $800 to have it installed. My wife wanted satellite but prefers Sirius (Grateful Dead channel) so after researching this site extensively I decided I could do the install myself. Thanks to all who posted in the past and a special thanks to nowlen for the huge time-saving method.
I installed the Sirius Receiver ($170: PTS31-53060) and Fit Kit ($80: PTS31-48080) from Toyota of Nashua in NH:
http://toyotaofnashuaparts.com/displ...cfm?design=114
The only pieces needed from the Fit Kit were the cable, two-sided tape and zip ties. The floor mounting bracket and window antenna were not used. It was very tight getting my hand and the cable to the back of the JBL and visibility is zero, but it is absolutely doable.
I decided to hook up to the factory antenna that is already mounted on the rear roof and terminates directly behind the stereo. Again, visibility is zero, but I felt around and quickly found the male end of the antenna wire (unique connection). I used the Lexus IS/LS Shark Fin antenna adapter ($60: SFA12F): http://www.myradiostore.com/sirius/s...on/sfa12f.html
It plugs right into Sirius receiver. I used the two-sided tape and zip ties to secure the receiver and looped wires to the dashboard support that was directly in my way during the wiring install.
Start to finish it took me a lazy 2 hours and it works flawlessly.
Thanks again!
#12 Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 AM
New TN User

I am thinking about doing this to my 09 limited. My unit has the JBL with NAV but I have seen no reference to an install with NAV. This post talks about needing a Lexus adapter where NOWLEN doesn't mention it. Since my unit has the XM antenna and prewire do I need the Lexus adapter? Just what exactly does prewire mean? Does it refer only to the antenna?

You would think that by being prewired that Toyota would have terminated all the connections under the seat so all you had to do was mount the receiver and plug it in.

Anyone know why the Sirius radio is not listed as an option even though Toyota sells the radio?

Sorry for all the questions but I just got my Highlander and have a lot to learn.

Thanks,
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo823 View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a 2009 Highlander Sport with the JBL in-dash 6CD changer and no NAV. The specs said XM satellite radio ready. The dealer told me it would cost about $800 to have it installed. My wife wanted satellite but prefers Sirius (Grateful Dead channel) so after researching this site extensively I decided I could do the install myself. Thanks to all who posted in the past and a special thanks to nowlen for the huge time-saving method.
I installed the Sirius Receiver ($170: PTS31-53060) and Fit Kit ($80: PTS31-48080) from Toyota of Nashua in NH:
http://toyotaofnashuaparts.com/displ...cfm?design=114
The only pieces needed from the Fit Kit were the cable, two-sided tape and zip ties. The floor mounting bracket and window antenna were not used. It was very tight getting my hand and the cable to the back of the JBL and visibility is zero, but it is absolutely doable.
I decided to hook up to the factory antenna that is already mounted on the rear roof and terminates directly behind the stereo. Again, visibility is zero, but I felt around and quickly found the male end of the antenna wire (unique connection). I used the Lexus IS/LS Shark Fin antenna adapter ($60: SFA12F): http://www.myradiostore.com/sirius/s...on/sfa12f.html
It plugs right into Sirius receiver. I used the two-sided tape and zip ties to secure the receiver and looped wires to the dashboard support that was directly in my way during the wiring install.
Start to finish it took me a lazy 2 hours and it works flawlessly.
Thanks again!
#13 Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM
New TN User

Anyone install one of these in an 09 Limited with JBL and NAV?

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineback View Post
I am thinking about doing this to my 09 limited. My unit has the JBL with NAV but I have seen no reference to an install with NAV. This post talks about needing a Lexus adapter where NOWLEN doesn't mention it. Since my unit has the XM antenna and prewire do I need the Lexus adapter? Just what exactly does prewire mean? Does it refer only to the antenna?

You would think that by being prewired that Toyota would have terminated all the connections under the seat so all you had to do was mount the receiver and plug it in.

Anyone know why the Sirius radio is not listed as an option even though Toyota sells the radio?

Sorry for all the questions but I just got my Highlander and have a lot to learn.

Thanks,
Tom
#14 Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 PM
New TN User

Just picked up my 2010 Limited and discussed the sat radio options. The stealership said well it is going to be at least $600.00. I counter with I can buy the receiver and install kit for <$300.00 delivered! I got the no way that's less than what we pay song and dance.

I then told them to look at this website:

http://toyotapartspeople.com/searchp...atellite+Radio

Next came the well....

We reached a deal that I would pay $292.00 for the parts and they would install it for free. Service manager was stating 3 hours labor to install I had a not so good experience in purchasing my HL, salesman was fired, and the sales manager is very willing to make things better.

Please note it appears that you can get either a XM or Sirius receiver both for the same price.
#15 Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Thanked 4,681 Times in 3,269 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
to the man who refuses to pay full price. Congratulations on the new Highlander!

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)