Special Service Tool 09228-06501 for Changing Oil Filter - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)

2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mark069's Photo Gallery
Special Service Tool 09228-06501 for Changing Oil Filter

The factory maintenance manual mentions the use of SST: 09228-06501 to remove the oil filter cap. Can I just use a standard oil filter strap wrench to do this or is this toyota tool necessary because of limited access to the cap?

If in fact this tool is necesary, does anyone know where it can be purchased?
mark069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View DeWat's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark069 View Post
The factory maintenance manual mentions the use of SST: 09228-06501 to remove the oil filter cap. Can I just use a standard oil filter strap wrench to do this or is this toyota tool necessary because of limited access to the cap?

If in fact this tool is necesary, does anyone know where it can be purchased?
If the thread was here and not over at Tundra Solutions, if you do a search, you should find the proper measurement filter wrench. I bought mine at Walmart, and have already done three oil changes with NO problems.

DeWat
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
If the thread was here and not over at Tundra Solutions, if you do a search, you should find the proper measurement filter wrench. I bought mine at Walmart, and have already done three oil changes with NO problems.

DeWat

The tool is mentioned by part number only in the factory service manual (not in a thread) and no measurements were given. Are you saying that you used a Walmart wrench on a 2008 highlander oil filter successfully? If so, was this a standard strap wrench or was it of a design similar to SST: 09228-06501?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark069 View Post
The tool is mentioned by part number only in the factory service manual (not in a thread) and no measurements were given. Are you saying that you used a Walmart wrench on a 2008 highlander oil filter successfully? If so, was this a standard strap wrench or was it of a design similar to SST: 09228-06501?
Did a search, and can't find it right now. Yes, I used a Walmart brand filter wrench, and it did the job. Going on memory, the original post that suggested the Walmart wrench said that it appeared to work better than a "quality" wrench of the designated measurement. Sorry that I don't know what that "designated measurement" is, but as mentioned, I've already done 3 OCIs with the Walmart wrench with no problems.

DeWat
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

According to the first post here, it's a 65mm filter wrench:

First Oil Change on 08 HL!

DeWat

EDIT: I think I found it over at Tundra Solutions... this text is courtesy of "mr08highlander" at Tundra Solutions:
====================
Just looked under the dog's carpet - no anchors that I could see for 3rd row - 2nd row has them on the seat backs under a plastic cover w/ pic. of child seat on it.
Just finished the first oil change - cartridge filter 04152-YZZA1, same as Avalon. I do not recommend trying this when engine is hot as oil will run down your hand as you try to drain the cartridge - disposable gloves are needed for this job. Used lots of paper towels, Avalon .pdf ref. in earlier post on this thread is accurate for HL.
65/67mm 14 flute from Wal-Mt branded "Valvoline" fit OK @ $3.50, a metal 65/67 one I had did not - too loose and/or too deep.
Used 5-20 mobil 1, it was so hard to see the fill level on the dipstick that I ended up roughing up the dipstick w/ 400 grit.
====================

Last edited by DeWat; 05-05-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Oh, ok so the Walmart wrench is a 65 mm cap wrench like the toyota OEM tool - $3.50 sounds a lot better than $65 for the OEM tool.....

I had also heard that a standard "strap type" filter wrench (the kind you use for can filters) will also work but I don't want to risk not having the right tool when I'm in the middle of my oil change.....
Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $774980
Supreme Member
View summerwind's Photo Gallery
It also is the same size (65mm) as the spin on filters used on the I4's..

I had a RAV4 before the HL. I bought an aftermarket 65mm wrench for the HL only to find out I had one already from the RAV4 days..
I traded in a Honda CRV for the RAV4. The CRV filter was at the back of the engine, mounted sideways and dripped all over the cross members when you removed it.

I thought I died and went to heaven (well some where close ) when I changed the oil on the Toyota RAV4 and now the HL.

Was impressed on the thought that seemed to go into Oil change maintenance.

Filters are accessable and easy to change.

I have changed the HL filter using the drain tool and without it (the plug was too tight and the cartridge housing would turn so I gave up and just let the oil drain down the side of the housing)

I wonder how many Toyota Quicklub bays actually do the drain tool routine??

Last edited by summerwind; 05-06-2008 at 04:10 PM.
summerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Mark069... the HL's oil filter cartridge is accessed through a removable panel, and there is very little side to side room for movement, so I don't think a "strap filter wrench" is going to work. Your mileage may vary.

Summerwind... I see you had the exact same problem I did when I did my last oil change. I tried to remove the end cap to drain the oil cartridge cavity, but the entire cartridge holder started to turn. So I just said oh well, turned it a little more and let the oil seep out into the pan, then removed the entire thing. A little messier, yes, a problem, not unless you want it to be.

DeWat
Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $774980
Supreme Member
View summerwind's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Summerwind... I see you had the exact same problem I did when I did my last oil change. I tried to remove the end cap to drain the oil cartridge cavity, but the entire cartridge holder started to turn. So I just said oh well, turned it a little more and let the oil seep out into the pan, then removed the entire thing. A little messier, yes, a problem, not unless you want it to be.

DeWat
The canister was easy to clean off and install a new O-ring so I will probably repeat history and try for the drain bolt and if the canister starts to turn I will skip the drain thing again.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View vinnyd's Photo Gallery
Guys, it is actually a 64mm wrench. Try Googling "Oil Filter Wrench 09228-06501".
I tried a 65mm one tonight and it cracked in half as I tried to loosen the oil filter cap.

Vince
vinnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)