Reverse \ Backup Camera Multifunction Display Wires - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Reverse \ Backup Camera Multifunction Display Wires

I am added an aftermarket radio and want to display the reverse camera to it. Does anyone know the two video wires (I am assuming two) on the multifunction display? Or maybe the best way to find it? The 12v reverse trigger is pin two / red wire. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Thanked 4,711 Times in 3,291 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
^^^

You need to post the specifics about your Highlander (trim line, etc.) so that other members can provide you the info you need. Thanks.

TrailDust

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....

Last edited by TrailDust; 09-11-2008 at 02:58 PM.
#3 Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Sorry, 2008 HL Limited V6 with JBL 6 disc changer. The multifunction display has 14 wires in a 16 pin harness.
#4 Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Official TN Member

Any update on this?
#5 Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Official TN Member

I'm curious about this too because I'd really like to find a way to activate the camera while not in reverse (to check my trailer/cargo/etc...)

2011 Sienna SE - South Pacific Pearl - All SE Options. OEM Hitch/Harness, 17" Base Highlander Wheels w/ Blizzak WS70 Snow Tires, Garmin Nuvi 850, Viper 5501 Remote Start. All-Season Mats Coming As Soon As A Reasonable Solution Is Available.
#6 Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Official TN Member

To clarify, What are the wires on that plug that go from the backup camera to the lcd screen? That is the information that is needed. It is known that the red wire on that plug goes to the reverse lights trigger but the real question is what wire/pin number on that plug actually goes from the backup camera to the screen to display the image. That is what needs to be tapped to display the clone image on the kenwood.

Whose got the golden egg answer????
#7 Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 PM
New TN User

Whose got the golden egg answer????[/quote]

With Multi-function Display
Connector E11
Pin 15 = Shield = V- /Shield
Pin 14 = Red = V+
Pin 4 = White = CGND
Pin 12 = Black = CA+

Last edited by ruest; 11-09-2008 at 09:12 AM.
#8 Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Official TN Member

interesting. I will check it out in a few weeks. If someone is up for it or have already done it, please post pics. A picture is worth a thousand posts .. haha
#9 Old 10-02-2008, 04:36 PM
New TN User

FWIW, I had the shop that installed my Kenwood DDX-812 hook the camera output to the radio. I had a shop do it only because I was also replacing all the factory speakers, adding an amplifier, and a pair of subwoofers into the back under the cargo floor (where the 3rd row seats would normally be). I'll try to get around to posting some pics at some point.

They ended up contacting a friend at a Toyota dealer to find out which wires to use (I don't know which wires they used). The radio has a button to go to the camera feed at any time, but there's no picture from the camera unless I'm in reverse. If I can figure out how to rewire things so the camera can be used any time, I may pull the radio out and make the wiring changes.
#10 Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynolds View Post
FWIW, I had the shop that installed my Kenwood DDX-812 hook the camera output to the radio. I had a shop do it only because I was also replacing all the factory speakers, adding an amplifier, and a pair of subwoofers into the back under the cargo floor (where the 3rd row seats would normally be). I'll try to get around to posting some pics at some point.

They ended up contacting a friend at a Toyota dealer to find out which wires to use (I don't know which wires they used). The radio has a button to go to the camera feed at any time, but there's no picture from the camera unless I'm in reverse. If I can figure out how to rewire things so the camera can be used any time, I may pull the radio out and make the wiring changes.
yea, it would be great if you can find out which wire is to what. as soon as you pull it the HU out you can probably see it rightaway.

as for your camera to be used at any time. all you need to do is add a on/off switch and tap the power to constant instead of the wake-on by putting into reverse. but you might lose the normal reverse wake-on function afterward. I am sure there's another way around it but i am on my way out to dinner.. so i am just rushing this reply.
#11 Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanf View Post
yea, it would be great if you can find out which wire is to what. as soon as you pull it the HU out you can probably see it rightaway.
Yes, if I pull the HU out, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which wires are used. Just need to get some spare time to do it. One reason I want to pull the HU out is to check on the wiring job that was done and make sure no shortcuts were taken.

Quote:
as for your camera to be used at any time. all you need to do is add a on/off switch and tap the power to constant instead of the wake-on by putting into reverse. but you might lose the normal reverse wake-on function afterward. I am sure there's another way around it but i am on my way out to dinner.. so i am just rushing this reply.
I believe the radio switches to show what's on the camera when the reverse signal is high, not when the camera comes on. But it looks like the camera also receives power only when the reverse signal is high. The trick is to always power the camera without also making the multifunction display think I'm always in reverse as I would lose the other functions on that display if I did so. It might actually be easier to just install a different camera, but I don't want to go through the hassle of running the wiring for that. Without a wiring diagram, it may be tricky to figure out what the interactions are.
#12 Old 11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Official TN Member

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruest View Post
Whose got the golden egg answer????
With Multi-function Display
Connector E11
Camera Power
Pin 15 = Shield = V- /Shield
Pin 14 = Red = V+
Camera Video
Pin 4 = White = CGND
Pin 12 = Black = CA+[/quote]

Ok so I am in the middle of the install of a dnx 8120 and have tapped PIN4 and PIN 12 on the e11 connector that goes into the multifunction display and then connected it to the backup camera wire on the kenwood harness. I also connected the reverse trigger wire. Now, the problem is that when I put the car in reverse, the kenwood screen goes black and switches like it should but no image from the camera is displayed. The small multifunction display works fine with the backup cam but I am wondering if the correct pin wires were tapped. Can anyone tell me which 2 wires are correct? I have checked and rechecked the connections and all is solid. Please help

Also, the left side of the steering wheel controls( volume, track etc.) are not lit up but the right side is. What's the deal with that?

Greg

Last edited by thegman230; 11-06-2008 at 06:17 PM.
#13 Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Official TN Member

^^^

You probably need to power the camera, try putting 12V to pin 14 and try again.

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited; Nav, DVD (His)

2007 Volvo XC70 (Hers)

1999 Camry LE (mine, used by my son)

Last edited by TrailDust; 11-09-2008 at 12:20 AM.
#14 Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Official TN Member

Thanks for the reply, but the power to the camera is already hooked up with the regular display that comes with the car. It shows the image on that display when in reverse and all I am attempting to do is split the signal going into that monitor with the new kenwood screen also, but I am not sure which of the 4 pins on the harness to use.

Anyone? THANKS
#15 Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
New TN User

backup camera

I have a 2008 toyota highlander sport with the back up camera. I would like to be able to turn the camera on when I want. Can anyone tell me where I can find the electrical drawing for this? Free would bee even better.
Thank so much guys!
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)