xm radio reception - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
xm radio reception

I have an 08 Highlander Hybrid and had the XM radio add on put in. I lose reception all the time and did not have the same problem with XM in my Tahoe in the same area. I have been after Toyota to look at it but the Dealer said it worked fine at the shop so there is no9thing he can do. The antenna was mounted on the left of the drivers side , mounted on the dash at the base of the front windshield.

I am also having Garmin reception problems with two garmins. Also losing satellite reception constantly. Garm put something out stating the new windshield coating can interfwere with satellite reception. That could be the problem with the XM as well.

Does anyone have any data or site I can look at regarding this? Any suggestions ? The Toyota rep is to meet with me in 3 weeks on the radio problem. Should the antenna for xm be mounted in the interior at the base of the window?

Any help is appreciated.

Steve
[SIZE=" color=#000d30 3?][/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve752 View Post
I have an 08 Highlander Hybrid and had the XM radio add on put in. I lose reception all the time and did not have the same problem with XM in my Tahoe in the same area. I have been after Toyota to look at it but the Dealer said it worked fine at the shop so there is no9thing he can do. The antenna was mounted on the left of the drivers side , mounted on the dash at the base of the front windshield.

I am also having Garmin reception problems with two garmins. Also losing satellite reception constantly. Garm put something out stating the new windshield coating can interfwere with satellite reception. That could be the problem with the XM as well.

Does anyone have any data or site I can look at regarding this? Any suggestions ? The Toyota rep is to meet with me in 3 weeks on the radio problem. Should the antenna for xm be mounted in the interior at the base of the window?

Any help is appreciated.

Steve
[SIZE="][/SIZE]

This is the standard location to mount the XM antenna...it's the same location as in my Highlander. However, this is not an optimum location...it's better on the roof.

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited; Nav, DVD (His)

2007 Volvo XC70 (Hers)

1999 Camry LE (mine, used by my son)
#3 Old 10-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Official TN Member

I have mounted my xm antenna on the roof in the center rear just in front of rear door seam. Very little break up. 3 bars strength. Ran wire along rear door gasket down thru storage area driver side and under door entry mouldings.

2008 Toyota Highlander Basic. 2WD, Salsa Red, Gray Pin Stripe, Scangage II, Gentech Mirror, Fog Lites, Vent Visors, XM Roady

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited, No Nav, XM Roady

1974 Chevy Corvette Sting Ray, 350 High Performance
#4 Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
New TN User

I don't have XM, but I do have Sirius and in previous cars I have had them installed both inside and outside of the car. In my Highlander, its mounted outside on the roof just in front of the spoiler. I have no drop in reception, except in tunnels, and even then sometimes I get full reception.

But I am also having Garmin problems, but unfortunately the model I bought does not have the option for an external antenna. So if you have a better model than Nuvi 200, then you should look into an external antenna. Hope my experiences help. Good luck.
#5 Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Official TN Member

USA

I use a Nuvi 760 and have no problems. Did you by chance have any windows tinted ? Typically tinting does not interfere with receptions...UNLESS you had tinting done that coatains the metal fleck. That will disrupt recetion.

08 4WD HL Limited, Magnetic Flint/Ash Leather, Toyo OC HT's 255/55/19's, European Horns, Extended Step Plate On Rear, DeBadged All Around. No NAV/DVD, OEM Hitch with Color Matched Fascia.Höen Endurance Amber Fog Light Bulbs.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
#6 Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I bought the car in Florida and believe they use a certian tinted windshield. Maybe thats it. Thanks for your reply
#7 Old 11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
New TN User

I have the same xm setup as the original message and my signal fades out a lot, too. Does anyone know whether I can relocate that antenna to the roof? Or, if I buy a new antenna to roof mount, are the connections universal so I can just unplug the current one and plug a new one in (I assume into the box under the driver's seat)?
#8 Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
New TN User

It is the location of the antena. Remount high on the outside and the problem goes away.
#9 Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
New TN User

XM radio problems 08 Highlander Hybrid

All of what was said about placement makes sense to me. I have asked the dealer and no response. (2008 Highlander Hybrid)- The XM radio was installed at the port. Are the factory installed antennas in the same place? I would like to add further fuel to the fire. Sometimes my radio just quites. I have to shut off the car and restart to get the signal back. How do I explain that to the dealer? Does Toyota not recognize the antenna location problem. I paid good money to have the xm installed at port.
#10 Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand041349 View Post
All of what was said about placement makes sense to me. I have asked the dealer and no response. (2008 Highlander Hybrid)- The XM radio was installed at the port. Are the factory installed antennas in the same place? I would like to add further fuel to the fire. Sometimes my radio just quites. I have to shut off the car and restart to get the signal back. How do I explain that to the dealer? Does Toyota not recognize the antenna location problem. I paid good money to have the xm installed at port.
According to the 09 brochure....some Highlanders depending on your HU come with factory antenna prewire. The Antenna is located on the roof (looks like a little sharks fin towards the rear hatch). Why they don't go ahead and put the XM unit in there is beyond me because you can get the Corolla and Venza with it already installed. Both antennas for those vehicles are on the back roof.

The roof is the best place for the XM/Sirrus antenna. If you were to go out and buy a XM/Sirrius unit...the documentation will tell you not to install the antenna on the dash!
#11 Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
New TN User

I agree. The roof should be the only place. Does any one have any thoughts on the XM radio disconnecting on its own. Obviously some sort of electrical- software glitch. I wonder if this has anything to do with the radio problems Toyota had a while back. How can I convince the dealer that it is an install problem?
#12 Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
New TN User

Sirius reception

Hi,
I have a 2008 Highlander Limited with dealer installed sattellite radio, antenna mounted on roof proper distance from rear hatch. My open air reception is good but in the summer driving under trees it cuts out alot and is very annoying. When I had my Expedition with a Sirius Sportster unit and it was much cheaper I didn't experiance any of these problems. The dealer even changed the antenna with little improvement. Any ideas? The cost of adding the Satellite radio wasn't worth it at this point. I have a Lifetime subscription to Sirius and thats why I went for the integreated Sattellite radio. If I knew it was like this I would have stayed with the sportster unit.

2008 Highlander Limited - Pearl White - Fully Loaded w/o Navigation
2009 RAV4 - Sandy Beige - Fully Loaded w Navigation
#13 Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
New TN User

That is interesting that the dealer installed it on the roof. My option for the xm was added at the port of jacksonville by toyota. It is a little black plastic antenna glued to the dashboard/ window on drivers side. I get drop outs all the time. I really would like to find someone that had luck with Toyota admitting a problem.
Thanks
#14 Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
New TN User

I really believe alot of this is the Sirius & XM units they are installing. Sometimes its antennas and their mounting location. But I do believe the units are the main problem.

2008 Highlander Limited - Pearl White - Fully Loaded w/o Navigation
2009 RAV4 - Sandy Beige - Fully Loaded w Navigation
#15 Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF View Post
I really believe alot of this is the Sirius & XM units they are installing. Sometimes its antennas and their mounting location. But I do believe the units are the main problem.
I doubt the issue has to do with the Sirius & XM units being installed. If your reception is poor then the first place to look is your antenna location. iI it is not on the roof of the vehicle then you are going to have issues. XM/Sirius recommend them being placed up there.

If your entire HU is losing power, screen going bonkers, or something similar then its the HU. There is a ongoing thread over in the Corolla forums about all the bad HU's. I have an 09 Corolla with there top of the line JBL unit and I am currently on my 3rd HU. My dealer has replaced it with no questions asked every single time.

Its very rare for an XM/Sirius antenna to go bad...its a VERY simple device that can take a beating living up on your roof. If the wire gets pinched..then its a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)